LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I use lidl bio stuff and it gets the cassette so clean you could eat your dinner off it. We frequently.........
Sorry couldn't finish the sentence!
images (1)_1.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Crap stained calcium deposits John, also known as limescale.
White vinegar (cheaper) or cilit bang (faster working) limescale remover.
A hard wax polish may slow it happening again and certa8nly make it easier to clean.

Or go overboard and use distilled/de-ionised water in the flush tank..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I used to use white wine vinnegar as well. But moved to citric acid as per my previous link which is just as effective but without the smell/TASTE .
:eek: What you doing drinking from your cassette gromett, you will get bits stuck in your teeth

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Slam the lid back on a pretend that you never saw it. out of sight out of mind.
Probably a calcified body remains, you do not want to know.
Just one thing do NOT ADD acids and chlorine based toilet cleaning chemicals as you will kill yourself with the resulting chemical incident ( fire Brigade session) Chlorine gas. big time.

Handy stuff!!. used extensively in France/Bel Circa 1914-18. many of my Grandfathers generation can attest to that fact!.

[

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Crap stained calcium deposits John, also known as limescale.
White vinegar (cheaper) or cilit bang (faster working) limescale remover.
A hard wax polish may slow it happening again and certa8nly make it easier to clean.

Or go overboard and use distilled/de-ionised water in the flush tank..
Think that might be a bit expensive PJ... Given our flush water comes from the main tank !
Wonder how much I can get a 1000 gallons of the stuff for ( the way we seem to get through water that should last us a week or two ! No idea what the hell she does with the stuff !! )

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I used to use white wine vinnegar as well. But moved to citric acid as per my previous link which is just as effective but without the smell/taste and it is a lot more compact for the same volume.
Comes as a powder I put a tablespoon in my kettle once a fornight to keep the limescale at bay. Sorts out my cassette nicely and descales the boiler once every 2 years.
YOU WORRY ABOUT THE TASTE OF THE CASSETTE?????????????????????????

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
All I can say is what the hell are you lot eating LOL

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
You can't beat a good toilet thread,well done John:LOL::LOL:
Brian & Jo

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A bit of an update..
The witches cauldron / evil mix has been quietly working away now for about 20 hours.
It IS making inroads but it is painfully slow !
The bottom of the tank is now pretty much done and is plenty clean enough.. The sides are another matter
The mix is having an effect but I think it is going to take several days to remove enough of the coating to allow me to shout success !

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Shouldn't let it set next time, bit of concentrating dehydration and it will end up like my idea of the town drains in Dover, Rock hard calcified s**t needing a hammer and chisel to move.
Nice to have a good toilet thread now and again.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I would compare this to cleaning the manhole outside my house, it ain't gong to happen, do you also strip down all the pipework from sink to grey tank and grey tank to valve

I have all on keeping the outside of the MH clean, then the inside, nowhere near enough time left for inside the toilet :)(y), well I guess I could find the time if I didn't use the MH :)

Of course I am not yet retired, that might be the big difference (y)

This made me laugh out loud, before I read this I was getting very concerned because I wasn't cleaning mine, never would've entered my mind to be honest, this is cassette detailing at its best!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
and they say that you cant polish a turd

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Would bio work in the grey water tanks? The " full " light comes on when there can be only half/ third full. I tried the coke a cola trick but that didn't work. Dealer said they could dismantle and clean sensors but at a cost.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Would bio work in the grey water tanks? The " full " light comes on when there can be only half/ third full. I tried the coke a cola trick but that didn't work. Dealer said they could dismantle and clean sensors but at a cost.
That's our problem too. There are I expect different types of sensor but ours is an electronic thing a bit like a screw or rivet in the side of the tank, at the top. I assume it senses when liquid contacts it but "gunk" forms a film on the inside which shorts it permanently.
I cured it once for quite a long time by filling the waste tank completely with a bleach mixture inside. I left it overnight and the light stayed off for a few months, then returned.
I now use Dometic toilet care tablets about once a week but you need to ensure you drive as often as possible during the week with a half full or more tank. This helps clean the inside.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
once a year I use white vinegar to descale the boiler and pipework. when done I run off the mixture into the waste tank and leave it overnight. then take a drive to make sure its all loose and then dump and flush. amazing the crud that washes out

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As was suggested to us several years ago.. pure orange juice.
It is cheap as a cheap thing in Spain so stick a few gallons in the grey before leaving for the trip home.. The crap that comes out is amazing and it certainly smells a lot nicer for a long while after !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Time for an update I 'spose :)

The grunge is now definitely receding.. It is slow but the reduction is inexorable and continuous
I am hoping for a 'full removal scenario' but even if I gave up right now and emptied the cocktail of death out, it has been a worthwhile exercise

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Just catching up with this thread.
I recently started using Bio washing liquid in our cassette and the result has amazed me ! ! !
It DID have a crusty coating, but NOW it is absolutely shiny clean ! !
DO try it ! !
Mitch. (back home from Spain)

Susan W

Free Member
Mar 7, 2017
Languedoc, France
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion B class
Exp
Since 1973
Wonder if the Coke trick will work? Seems to get rid of most similar issues?
When I was in elementary school (Canada), one of our teachers put a large nail in a glass of Coke. Within a few days, the nail had dissolved. Haven't drunk the stuff since...

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
lways best to avoid coke with old nails in..
Me, I have drunk it all my life, still have all my own ( real !! ) teeth and never had a problem with it..
Having said that I have used it to clean all sorts of stuff up with :)

Update on the cassette while I am here.
It is now about 90% clear of the stuff.
It is slow but the concoction is working

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I am always pretty fastidious about cleaning the cassette out thoroughly, and after every extended trip really go to town on it.. Or so I thought !
Took the top off it today and was shocked at the state of the inside. Opening the flap and looking down the hole I could always see a bit of something grungy ever since we bought the van, but taking the top off.. oh boy !!
All around where I could not see it has a nasty coating of something pretty darned hard.. and seemingly impossible to shift without resorting to scraping it.
For obvious reasons scraping is not an option.. As the cassette is stripped and has no seals in it at the moment I tried straight bleach..
A couple of hours soaking and hey presto !! No bloody difference at all ! :mad:

Anyone got any suggestions ( to get it clean !!!!! ) ????
Calgone john I treat my one every few months but when I first done it I used six tabs and one galon of water my one had a verry bad deposit in it
Usually fill caset every now and then with calgone salution when van not in use
Bill

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I am always pretty fastidious about cleaning the cassette out thoroughly
Me To! The wife had been playing some rubbish by a 'band' called 'Cop For This', or something like, really messed it up! Anyway, took it out of the dashboard, and dropped it into a bucket of water for a bit. I could still that Gary Barlow gurgling for a while, but then it stopped. Shook it dry, and plugged it in. Plays fine now, except that all the labels have come off the buttons. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back