LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
White wine vinegar works quite well at getting rid of calcium deposit but for a good clean the Thetford stuff works a treat.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I do wonder if you guys have enough to worry about. If it isn't causing a smell or blockage, I wouldn't bother with deep cleaning my loo cassette.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I do wonder if you guys have enough to worry about. If it isn't causing a smell or blockage, I wouldn't bother with deep cleaning my loo cassette.
In general I agree.. but towards the end of this last stint we kept getting an unwelcome smell.. Mo insisted it was coming from the loo ( I suggested she make other arrangements but that did not go down to well !!! :) !!! )

I aint that fussed if it all comes up shiny .. I have made the effort, she has seen said effort, so is a happy bunny :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
In general I agree.. but towards the end of this last stint we kept getting an unwelcome smell.. Mo insisted it was coming from the loo ( I suggested she make other arrangements but that did not go down to well !!! :) !!! )

I aint that fussed if it all comes up shiny .. I have made the effort, she has seen said effort, so is a happy bunny :)

SWMBO ... that would explain it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So now I have put half a bottle of each product in the bloody thing and mixed it all up !!!
There is a definite movement toward the clean end of the spectrum :)
I am gonna leave it all in there with regular swishing around and see what happens !

Careful, mixing a number of chemicals can cause serious gas problems (e.g. bleach and alcohol, bleach and ammonia, bleach and hydrogen peroxide).
And don't go anywhere near it if you are smoking !!!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
A change of diet may also be worth considering. :)

You may also have discovered something new, Type 8 - very difficult to remove. It says Bristol on the chart but I think it applies in other parts of the country. :)

View attachment 154367
images_6.jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
White wine vinegar works quite well at getting rid of calcium deposit but for a good clean the Thetford stuff works a treat.
I used to use white wine vinnegar as well. But moved to citric acid as per my previous link which is just as effective but without the smell/taste and it is a lot more compact for the same volume.
Comes as a powder I put a tablespoon in my kettle once a fornight to keep the limescale at bay. Sorts out my cassette nicely and descales the boiler once every 2 years.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Slam the lid back on a pretend that you never saw it. out of sight out of mind.
Probably a calcified body remains, you do not want to know.
Just one thing do NOT ADD acids and chlorine based toilet cleaning chemicals as you will kill yourself with the resulting chemical incident ( fire Brigade session) Chlorine gas. big time.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Try soaking cotton wool in white vinegar, and leaving for 24 hours round/on the seal as a descaler. I think it comes from the water when flushing.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am still not sure what the hell the stuff is !
A bit fell away and I tried white vinegar and pure descaler on it.. Did absolutely bugger all !
What ever it is I reckon someone should find out as it has great potential ..
Could make bullet proof vests out of it, parts for cars.. anything really !!!

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
In general, urine scale in a toilet arises from a chemical reaction. Urine scale in a toilet forms when urine + water with high quantities of lime reacting chemically with one another.

Once this reaction is in full progress it will lead to a yellow-brownish sediment in toilets or urinals – usually in a rather solid form. The lime contained in the toilet water forms a chemical bond with the uric acid and the urine, more precisely a lime and magnesium compound. The solid substances can then be recognized as so-called urine scale sediments. Furthermore, bacteria play a role in the formation of urine scale in a toilet. The longer urine scale remains inside the toilet, the more difficult it will be to dissolve and remove it.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Probably 3 year old Madras

It mutates into a different life form, at a molecular level a cross between araldite, superglue and Graham Norton. The first two tend to bind together like, well, like sh*t to a Tupperware container. The last component, the Graham Norton bit, is exceptionally offensive, it has many turd like properties and tries to encroach on your buttocks at every opportunity

Seriously, spirits of salts is cheap enough, and that will break down the lime fairly rapidly

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In general, urine scale in a toilet arises from a chemical reaction. Urine scale in a toilet forms when urine + water with high quantities of lime reacting chemically with one another.

Once this reaction is in full progress it will lead to a yellow-brownish sediment in toilets or urinals – usually in a rather solid form. The lime contained in the toilet water forms a chemical bond with the uric acid and the urine, more precisely a lime and magnesium compound. The solid substances can then be recognized as so-called urine scale sediments. Furthermore, bacteria play a role in the formation of urine scale in a toilet. The longer urine scale remains inside the toilet, the more difficult it will be to dissolve and remove it.

This stuff is pure brown !! No way could it be considered as having any sort of yellow tint to it !!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I trying Didi 7. It works an absolute treat in my flask to get rid of built up tea deposit. No milk in my flask but 2 Green Tea tea bags and boiling water and use throughout the day.

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
John where exactly are you parked at the Thetford Bash just in case this problem an't sorted and all those chemicals, just asking?
Ray

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I unscrew the round bit on the top then jet wash the inside of the cassette, you will be surprised at how much crap comes out. Increased the van payload as well.
That is how all this started !
I took the thing apart to clean all the bits and bobs and jet wash it out.. It was then I noticed the deposits all round the walls !
Jet washing does not even touch the stuff !

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
That is how all this started !
I took the thing apart to clean all the bits and bobs and jet wash it out.. It was then I noticed the deposits all round the walls !
Jet washing does not even touch the stuff !
You must produce different crap in Norfolk, it worked okay on mine.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I unscrew the round bit on the top then jet wash the inside of the cassette, you will be surprised at how much crap comes out. Increased the van payload as well.
How much crap did you get out of your cassette if cleaning has increased your payload?

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Having never liked the smell of the blue stuff (worse than the other contents), tried several additives and noticed the limescale build up. Changed to Lidls Bio liquid and after a couple of months no limescale and if emptied regularly no nasty niffs. So a change of cassette additive is the solution.

Reactions: f6c
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
@EX51SSS , luckily it's not too expensive, but because it needs to soak (I fill the kettle overnight) and the cassette is too large to fill, I would do it in stages, soaking a side at a time. Good luck.

Mickey.

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
I use lidl bio stuff and it gets the cassette so clean you could eat your dinner off it. We frequently.........
Sorry couldn't finish the sentence!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back