Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Going to see what we think is a good motorhome tomorrow in Nottingham. Could be a new owner by tomorrow, all going well. Cant organise an inspection as everyone is mega busy. Just going to be very thorough, referring to the checklist on this forum. Pretty nervous as Ive never had one, or a caravan, or a tent before, don't know what I need to buy, never even drove one (but I think Ill be fine)! I'll let you know how I get on, its a Hymer Van 562. Even the buying process; check, drive, pay, insurance, tax.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Going to see what we think is a good motorhome tomorrow in Nottingham. Could be a new owner by tomorrow, all going well. Cant organise an inspection as everyone is mega busy. Just going to be very thorough, referring to the checklist on this forum. Pretty nervous as Ive never had one, or a caravan, or a tent before, don't know what I need to buy, never even drove one (but I think Ill be fine)! I'll let you know how I get on, its a Hymer Van 562. Even the buying process; check, drive, pay, insurance, tax.
Please check it is a genuine sale and not meeting someone in a lay by. It has been known and there are threads on here of near misses with scam sales.

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Thank you Anthea, I have HPI'd and asked about reg doc and he is trader. Meeting at his home. I will be as careful as I can be, happy to go home empty handed if need be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you Anthea, I have HPI'd and asked about reg doc and he is trader. Meeting at his home. I will be as careful as I can be, happy to go home empty handed if need be.
That's great I'm a bit of a worrier ! Hope all works out well and post some photos if it's the one!!

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks it's the Van T 500 we've had it for 2 years ,previously 2 Italian vans which had a nice spec but had water ingress problems and we wanted a winterised van so we can use it all winter!
It does Sometimes seem like its like a mind field while looking as there is so many variables and sometimes it's compromise ,( husband has to crawl over me to get into bed!!)

I'll have look at it.

Hopefully they close the curtains so you won't be able to....:D

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

Good luck with it Gary, hope it works out for you

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Hi Gary

Im joining the party late, but I just wanted to add my input to this thread. I am relatively new here myself (y)
Last September I bought my 1st MH from a "Funster", an Autotrail Apache 700SE (2006). Length was not the issue as this model comes in at 7.2m but layout was key. We are a young family (2+2) and having available space when being in the vehicle was important.
We thought we had invested the right money into this vehicle only to find on use that there wasn't quite enough room. The fridge wasn't large enough for upcoming "European vacation/tour", work space in the kitchen was non existent unless you put down the glass lid on the sink or the hob, and the end lounge when seating/slouching 4 people in the evening was tight.
I also invested a couple extra thousand by renewing the exhaust (very grey area o_O ensure that your purchase is sound and solid as replacing an exhaust on a MH is not as easy task as standard vehicle), having the engine re-mapped as the older 2006 Fiat chassis lagged at hills (this did make a massive improvement), and having a new clutch fitted (conveniently/I wasn't able to test drive myself so previous owner was able to calmly drive it for me showing no distress on the clutch).

I have now cut my losses and traded her in for the larger Autotrail Arapaho (2010) ALKO Chassis, I am so pleased I've upgraded. I have now a modern chassis, 6 gears, cruise control, blinds on all windows that aren't damaged, work space, seating room.

There are soooooooooooo many things to consider when buying your 1st MH, its difficult when parting with your hard-earned cash to remember everything you need to consider.

Good luck (y) J&K

Attachments

• IMAG1638.jpg
    IMAG1638.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20160614-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20160614-WA0000.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi all,

We are newbies!

We are buying our first MH very soon! Spent lots of time at dealers and looking at different layouts etc and . upped our budget a couple of times already and looking to spend around £30k.

Vehicle length - 6m compact or a bit longer 6.6m? As I've not driven one before and I'm probably being over cautious, but is there really that much of a difference when driving?

Models we have in our sights

Burster Travel Van
Hymer Van 572 or Hymer Van 562, not sure what the difference is.
Burster Brevio T640

Ideally 6m would be good but just wondered about the extra storage with the longer one?

Any advice, help!
Also consider a van that will be easy to sell - the van you buy will not be what you want. Until you have used a MH for a while you won't know how well your chosen layout will work.

OP
OP
JanGar

JanGar

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi Gary

Im joining the party late, but I just wanted to add my input to this thread. I am relatively new here myself (y)
Last September I bought my 1st MH from a "Funster", an Autotrail Apache 700SE (2006). Length was not the issue as this model comes in at 7.2m but layout was key. We are a young family (2+2) and having available space when being in the vehicle was important.
We thought we had invested the right money into this vehicle only to find on use that there wasn't quite enough room. The fridge wasn't large enough for upcoming "European vacation/tour", work space in the kitchen was non existent unless you put down the glass lid on the sink or the hob, and the end lounge when seating/slouching 4 people in the evening was tight.
I also invested a couple extra thousand by renewing the exhaust (very grey area o_O ensure that your purchase is sound and solid as replacing an exhaust on a MH is not as easy task as standard vehicle), having the engine re-mapped as the older 2006 Fiat chassis lagged at hills (this did make a massive improvement), and having a new clutch fitted (conveniently/I wasn't able to test drive myself so previous owner was able to calmly drive it for me showing no distress on the clutch).

I have now cut my losses and traded her in for the larger Autotrail Arapaho (2010) ALKO Chassis, I am so pleased I've upgraded. I have now a modern chassis, 6 gears, cruise control, blinds on all windows that aren't damaged, work space, seating room.

There are soooooooooooo many things to consider when buying your 1st MH, its difficult when parting with your hard-earned cash to remember everything you need to consider.

Good luck (y) J&K

Thanks for that. I will take your information on board. Gary

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations
wow you are as quick as @ianthebuilder was when he bought his!
Can you post some pictures ! Enjoy your travels!
Lots of things in our van are Unnecessary according to my husband!!
Electric hookup cable , gas bottles ,food ,beer and BBQ and a few clothes are his list!! ( mine is much longer!!)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
And If buying new?.
Mickey.
Hymers nearly always come out under the brochure weight any other make expect it to be up to 5% over.
So on a 3500kg van with a 400kg payload expect to loose up to 155kg.
Only way is to check it on a weighbridge.

Not many vans above about 6.7m with a decent spec can be run at 3500kg unless you travel very light despite what the manufacturers say.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Hymers nearly always come out under the brochure weight any other make expect it to be up to 5% over.
So on a 3500kg van with a 400kg payload expect to loose up to 155kg.
Only way is to check it on a weighbridge.

Not many vans above about 6.7m with a decent spec can be run at 3500kg unless you travel very light despite what the manufacturers say.
Thanks Lenny, just as I thought, I have a strong feeling I may have to pm Minxy girl about uprating.
Mickey.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Agree with Lenny.Ours is an A Class and in general IMO they don't really work at 3500Kg unless you have deep pockets! We could tell from the brochure MIRO that we would not have enough payload even before we started adding on bits and pieces so we uprated the chassis to 4250kg which was an option as we were buying new.

That removed the overall payload issue for us. However I still check the weight distribution of the vehicle before we go on long trips so that I know the axle loadings. It is possible if you are hanging stuff off the back that you can get close to or exceed the rear axle loading whilst still having spare payload! Just one to watch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back