Decent reversing camera

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ovalball, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Ovalball

Ovalball Funster

Having give up hope of fixing the existing reversing camera I am looking to replace it.I would like one of those dual cameras which have one pointing towards the tow bar area and the other looking back along the road.I have an onboard system which allows for video in but I'm not sure how you then select between the 2 images.Can anyone recommend a decent system please?Would prefer wired as opposed to wireless because I have read of wireless images freezing.Many thanks.

2. andy63

andy63 Funster

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Wired is best and worth paying slightly more for a CCD camera rather than CMOS. You should be able to get it to "look behind" but automatically look down when selecting reverse. however, I don't know how it is done other than wiring into the reverse light power cable from the tow bar relay.

4. Mikescuba

Mikescuba Funster

I would be interested to know how many people on here actually use a reversing camera. I bought one which is still in the box. I'm not sure where to mount it and I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the van. When I recently bought the MH the sales guy said the best reversing camera was to send the wife out which seems to work quiet well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. andy63

andy63 Funster

All the twin camera systems I've had are simple to install but I've always bought a monitor to suit and never used an existing monitor.. but I'm sure a supplier would advise on how to and what's needed..
    There a power supply To the monitor. .. a single cable with twin fittings that supplies the cameras with power and has twin video connections you will also need a reversing signal and a earth...so the wiring is simple and other than the supplies and earth mentioned above all contained in a single wire from the twin cameras to the monitor..
    I usually take the reverse signal from the wire to the reverse lights...but usually only use that to power a relay coil that then supplies the reverse signal to the box of tricks... over cautious but I know my reverse system is current monitored and didn't want to risk upsetting anything vehicle related..
    The fittings on the cable require a hole around 18 or 19 mm if you need the cable to pass through any walls/bulkheads....

• Like Like x 1
  6. andy63

andy63 Funster

Fair enough if you've got a wife..:LOL:
    I find it a massive help.. it was the first thing I installed when I got current van and the last one..
    Andy

• Like Like x 2
  7. Enword

Enword Funster

Wouldn't be with out one, can reverse in our place within 2" off the wall, hookup the trailer & keep an eye on it as we are travailing,(y)

8. Cleve

Cleve Funster

I use the Garmin reversing camera with my Garmin 760 MTL camper GPS. I have found it reliable (wireless) comes on with reverse and somewhat better than some humans (offside ding result of human, really hacked off about that! carved it in stone, handed it down from the hillside and still they could not do it! Merde).

Have bought second camera to dispense with unreliable human interface - will still use them but back up with electronics before trusting them.

9. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

I use mine all the time as a rear view mirror. I suspect Mrs Bass may complain a bit if I strapped her to the rear bumper and asked her to shout a lot when I had traffic behind me........

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. BusyBuilder

BusyBuilder Funster

We have a Waeco dual camera on our Hymer came with it when we bought it. It's brilliant even has Mike so you can here what's happening behind when reversing. Most people following don't realise you can see them and the odd ones panic when you start reversing towards them.

11. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I use mine all the time ... mainly as a rear view mirror and also to keep an eye on the toad but also do find it useful when backing up to the toad to line up the tow hook with the a-frame.(y)

PS Oh dear, now I've mentioned the word "a-frame" this thread will run for 25000 pages ... sorry.:whistle2:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Yes, we do the same. Rear view camera for keeping an eye on things including toad or anything being towed, downward looking camera for reversing (both with separate monitor) and just fitted a number plate level one (via the head unit) as when bikes are on the bike rack they obscure the view downwards.

Our driveway has about 3" each side at the bottom half with the mirrors folded in so now can reverse with confidence (albeit rather slowly......)

• Like Like x 2