LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've been away until recently and only just seen this thread and it came as a shock to read of Les's passing and I can only offer my deepest sympathy at your loss. Having read all the posts It certainly shows Funsters in the best possible light, supportive and hopeful initially and finally humorous when the thread took on a lighter note however desperate the circumstances. RIP Les and best wishes to Debs.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Just discovering this thread. Never met you Debs , but I feel for you. Not a lot I can say that hasn't been said. I'm sure friends and family are priceless at this difficult time. And if you long for a bit of sun, if winter seems too long , you're welcome here if you wish to escape rain and cold .... whenever. Stay strong. Sending hugs Xxx

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Cheers pal. I feel so guilty now that we didn't sign up to this one. :cry:
Are you busy this weekend Jock? As far as I know, there might still be room for one more. It would be good to see you both.

Failing that, we'll wave on the way past - we will be spending Thursday night somewhere in your vicinity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Are you busy this weekend Jock? As far as I know, there might still be room for one more. It would be good to see you both.

Failing that, we'll wave on the way past - we will be spending Thursday night somewhere in your vicinity.
Thanks Simon. :) Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to make it at this late stage anyway, so it'll have to be that "wave on the way past". :)

Have a safe journey down, and an enjoyable time whilst there. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You've got me blubbing too xx

Blimey you'll have me at it in a minute ... though big strong men like me don't do that eh ? Il leave that for you to decide

The above post displays to me the breadth and depth of the sincerity and integrity of so many on here. That's what makes the difference so so often. xx

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
In case I am on my own looking silly ... is it correct that we wear odd socks AND crocs for the funeral please and not just the wake ? Thank you.
Keep strong Debs. X

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
In case I am on my own looking silly ... is it correct that we wear odd socks AND crocs for the funeral please and not just the wake ? Thank you.
Keep strong Debs. X

I can't make it but will be wearing odds (socks and fake-crocs) all day.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
@movan I understood it was whatever you feel comfortable in but "please wear odd socks to the funeral" and presumably the wake. I think Debs said she was going to change into her tasteful and sophisticated black crocs for the wake.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks again everyone for thoughts & wishes.
Had an up and down day with the coroner but after ringing & speaking to them & using my scary voice (that's what Lu calls it) they have now sorted it out so things can progress. I've just got back from the funeral directors after taking his clothes down...his DJ & odd socks - Christmas ones which he'd find so funny (I hate Christmas but him + the kids love it).
I wanted to put his special BBQtongs in with him too, my BBQ King - but it's not allowed:cry:. I think our son may want them, he has the BBQ gene too.
I need to think of something else now.

PS @movan Andreas right - whatever you are comfy in.b it odd socks please.. Les always liked you in your stetson:LOL:
IMG_20161026_141800.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks again everyone for thoughts & wishes.
Had an up and down day with the coroner but after ringing & speaking to them & using my scary voice (that's what Lu calls it) they have now sorted it out so things can progress. I've just got back from the funeral directors after taking his clothes down...his DJ & odd socks - Christmas ones which he'd find so funny (I hate Christmas but him + the kids love it).
I wanted to put his special BBQtongs in with him too, my BBQ King - but it's not allowed:cry:. I think our son may want them, he has the BBQ gene too.
I need to think of something else now.

PS @movan Andreas right - whatever you are comfy in.b it odd socks please.. Les always liked you in your stetson:LOL:View attachment 130308
Now you've set me off again...:crying:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This technically is a private thing of Debs, but we had a personal chat and then it was mentioned on here about 'the bridge', I said to Debs it would be nice as we are so close this weekend to walk to have a look ourselves

Asked Griff if he could help me on directions and he asked to join me and even better drove us both there on Sunday

We walked the last 1/2 mile or so, glints of sun and amazing tree colours all round, got there and although we had seen quite a few people the bridge was eerily isolated, we stood on the bridge and a cascade of leaves fell right in front of us. Left us both unable to speak for a bit

Then some kids appeared and played in the water below the bridge, some other groups appeared and crossed the bridge, cant quite find the words to explain how it felt, but it was kind of like the world stopped for a few seconds pause as we got there, then restarted with the leaves falling

Sent Debs a copy of the photo below and asked her if she would mind me posting it, she has actually asked me to

IMG_1615.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sincere apologies Debs but I had to post this. A lovely picture and how we remember him. x

View attachment 131296

What a beautiful expression on Les' face. Going to be so difficult for everyone on Thursday. :(

Nov 1, 2016
notts
Funster No
MH
lil grey Adriana thingy
Exp
just dropping in
Hey there.

I'm just passing by since the camper's really...really...really not my thing (it has no Internet) but my name is Lauren. The daughter :hi:

I came here on the hunt for some pictures my mum showed me of people wearing odd socks for my dad, which I haven't found yet but now I've read this thread I'd just like to say thank you to everybody. Thank you for such kind words and helping my mum to laugh & smile again when there hasn't been a lot of that for a month. I'm glad she's part of such a wonderful, welcoming community and I'm so grateful for everything that's been said about my dad.

It helps so much to know that we aren't the only ones missing him.

There's a massive, gaping crater in our lives now that I know will get worn away a little over time but it'll never get filled in. All you can do is find a way to deal with it and the things I've heard about this forum have helped so much. That people have been wearing odd socks for him. I think there's been some money raised too, and people are coming to the funeral and that's just amazing. Thank you.

I'm going to wander off now because I haven't got much time left to get all the pictures together for my brother. So here's a picture of the dog to say thank you ::bigsmile:

HPkzO

Attachments

• boris.jpg
    boris.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@oddsocksnflagpoles , Lauren, I know I speak for many on here when I say that if there is anything we can do for your mum, and you and your brother, you only have to ask. I only met your dad a few times but he always had a smile on his face.

I will be wearing odd socks on Thursday and have invested in Christmas ones in recognition of the ones your mum posted a photo of.

Thinking of you all, stay strong and look after each other. Oh and give your mum a big hug from me. x

Nov 1, 2016
notts
Funster No
MH
lil grey Adriana thingy
Exp
just dropping in
That's just what I was looking for, thank you!

Man, never thought I'd be crying over pictures of peoples' feet.

My mum was a lil worried people might come to the funeral without understanding the odd sock request. I made him a couple of promises afterwards when I sat with him for a while. One promise was to get as many people as I could to wear odd socks for him because he had to wear the most BORING pair of hospital socks you're ever seen.

My dad was a BBQ master, singer of songs even when he didn't know the lyrics and wearer of holey socks but we can't really ask people to wear skanky socks so mismatched ones will do :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's just what I was looking for, thank you!

Man, never thought I'd be crying over pictures of peoples' feet.

My mum was a lil worried people might come to the funeral without understanding the odd sock request. I made him a couple of promises afterwards when I sat with him for a while. One promise was to get as many people as I could to wear odd socks for him because he had to wear the most BORING pair of hospital socks you're ever seen.

My dad was a BBQ master, singer of songs even when he didn't know the lyrics and wearer of holey socks but we can't really ask people to wear skanky socks so mismatched ones will do :D
That's it......I'm not only going to wear odd socks, but worn out old socks!

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
image.jpeg
Lauren what a lovely post , thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We met your mum and dad for the first time at Boston and enjoyed their company. Rob and I were coming to the funeral but my mum passed away last week so are unable to come. It sounds like it will be a wonderful celebration of your Dads life.
I shall be wearing odd sox and crocs in honor of Les.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry to hear about your Mum @Anthea M :(

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
View attachment 131337 Lauren what a lovely post , thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We met your mum and dad for the first time at Boston and enjoyed their company. Rob and I were coming to the funeral but my mum passed away last week so are unable to come. It sounds like it will be a wonderful celebration of your Dads life.
I shall be wearing odd sox and crocs in honor of Les.
So sorry for your loss Anthea.

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
@Anthea M , sorry to hear about your Mum, like Debs you have a tough time ahead. Hope you have family to help and give you the love and strength to get you through this.

Veronica

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
By the way @Anthea M , my wife is a crocoholic like you are . God knows how many croc flip flops she has got:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back