Debs and Les (1 Viewer)

Nov 1, 2016
notts
Funster No
MH
lil grey Adriana thingy
Exp
just dropping in
Gosh. I've got no idea when or how that happened but thank you.

And we're grateful for any pictures of the procession because my dad used to spend hours and days looking through the pictures from the bike things we did together, searching for a flash of pink high vis or our flagpole. He LOVED going on the rides and waving to cameras and kids.

I have to admit I didn't actually see much of the procession because it set me off every time I looked out the front window. I didn't ever expect that to be the last ride I went on with him so there was a lot of wibbling and looking out of a side window instead.

And we were warned that the guys would be opening the throttles once we reached the crematorium. It's such a fantastic sound to hear and a wonderful tribute to him. The Tramps and the Funsters really helped to make today slightly less awful for us and I'm grateful for that.

And oh lordy I was being polite when I said about the Internet. I'm kinda like my dad. I like me a toilet block and I'm not neat enough to survive in a camper. The whole place for everything and everything has its place sends me fleeing.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Lauren @oddsocksnflagpoles I am sure that today you met David and Bev the ones we call @DavidG58, well while we were at the New Forest meet David told me about "Les's bridge" and showed me a photo, I knew it wasn't that far from where we were staying for a few days after the rally, while out on a bike ride we came upon this lovely peaceful spot that just felt right, I took some photo's to check with David and yes it is your Dad's bridge.

IMG_0173.JPG

I hope you don't mind me sharing this photo with all your new friends;)

Martin

Nov 1, 2016
notts
Funster No
MH
lil grey Adriana thingy
Exp
just dropping in
@oddsocksnflagpoles Love the avatar of you and your dad!!:)

Thank you! I had no idea it existed 'til a few weeks ago and suddenly it's like, wow nineties' fashion could actually be cute sometimes.

And that picture of the bridge is gorgeous. It's like a portal to my childhood for me. Cross over it and I'm 6 years old again and screaming that I don't wanna go but being bribed with ice cream in Lyndehurst.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 90.jpg
    90.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 78

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sourced
@oddsocksnflagpoles If you change your mind about the camper you can come to the Kelso rally along with your Mum. There is a place saved for you should you want it.
please do.........

They were wonderful words that you wrote, truly from the heart. Really sorry we couldn't make it but did wear odd socks and raised a glass (...ahem or two, or three) of Penderyn, which Les had introduced us to earlier this year.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@oddsocksnflagpoles Quite the little cutie with your dad in pics...saw quite a few today :) Never said hi today cos I'm not the easiest to understand, having said that your uncle Dave seemed to at least pretend to understand me :LOL: Quite the comedian behind the sadness.

Nov 1, 2016
notts
Funster No
MH
lil grey Adriana thingy
Exp
just dropping in
@oddsocksnflagpoles Quite the little cutie with your dad in pics...saw quite a few today :) Never said hi today cos I'm not the easiest to understand, having said that your uncle Dave seemed to at least pretend to understand me :LOL: Quite the comedian behind the sadness.

Thank you :D

I think I met you very briefly? You had a photo album and thought my mum looked like somebody from Corrie? But oh gosh I'm so sorry I was struggling a bit with your accent and that was my third attempt to get something to eat and I was just like fooooooood at that point.

I heard about my uncle meeting you too, bless him. He's deaf like me so he doesn't catch most of what people says but he makes an attempt.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I am not quite sure what, who or how Lauren, but your status now shows you as a paid up member

welcome aboard, make the next post a good one, but then come back and tell us more x

(y)
;)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Lauren I woke up this morning crying for your Mum, you and David today and your words have made me cry again. All the best to you all. X.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Thank you so much for all the messages today, the people who came and the people who were thinking of us. It means the world to us.

That was uh. The third hardest day of my entire life but it's over now and we can sleep knowing we just gave him the best send off anybody could wish for. The Tramps looked fantastic in formation, his bike looked wonderful at the front with our flagpole and people were looking as we passed by. He would've loved that SO much :LOL:

Drew the minister guy did a wonderful job with the time he had. There were some smiles and giggling amongst the sobbing today. A lot of people stopped me to mention the thing I'd written for Drew to read out, so I thought I'd post it here if that's okay.

This is not really something I expected or wanted to do for another twenty five years. Another lifetime for me. But you don't always get what you want.

So I started composing this in the shower, as you do. Wondering how on earth I could sum up a guy like my dad on one sheet of paper. And I decided a few things. Like a lot of the people I've talked to have said how angry they were when they lost somebody they loved. They hated the universe but I'm not gonna do that because that's not the kind of guy my dad was.

I'm not going to be angry. I'm just going to be grateful that I knew him.

Because I've heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason. Bringing something we must learn and we are led to those who help us most to grow if we let them, and we help them in return. And I don't know if I believe that's true. But I know I am who I am today because I knew you.

That's part of a song from a musical called Wicked. It holds the honour of being one of the few things I dragged him to that I think he actually enjoyed. There's been a lot of music lately. A lot of noise trying to fill the silence he's left behind and I've found that verse helps.

Okay so I've still got no idea how to put up a picture frame that's actually level and I'm dreading the first time I've got to deal with a spider on my own but I think he taught me something pretty cool. But I don't really really know how to describe it. Hakuna Matata, maybe?

That it's okay if you don't know the words to the song. The words aren't important. Just take the time to sing your song and enjoy it. Savour the little things just as much as the big things. Don't worry about the things that aren't so good. They can be fixed. They're not as huge as you think. Don't worry. Sing whatever song's stuck in your head and suddenly all those massive worries don't seem so big any more. They can be dealt with. And that helps me.

It well may be that we will never meet again in this lifetime. So let me say before we part.
So much of me is made of what I learned from you. You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart. And now whatever way our stories end. I know you have re-written mine by being my friend.

Because he was. He wasn't just my dad. He was my friend. He was everybody's friend. He made the world shine just that little bit brighter for so many people.

So if you want to remember him, don't remember today. Remember him when you're scrolling through the TV guide and you find some ridiculously awful movie that nobody would watch, because he would. Four times.

Remember him when you're driving somewhere and you see a really nice log pile in somebody's garden.

Remember him when you can't find a single pair of socks that match, or your clothes clash or you see a guy wearing socks with his sandals.

Remember him when your brain starts singing. Something you heard on the radio or on an advert that won't go away. Let it out. It doesn't matter if you don't know the words. The words aren't important.

Just sing for him.

xxx (I think I only have one free post left now so my next one better be a good one (y))

Beautiful words Lauren. This just goes to show what a grand job your dad (and mum) did in bringing you up.
I'm pleased that you are now a full member and perhaps you can accompany mum on the odd trip ;)
Take care
John & Jan

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have avoided this page all day but popped in for a peep once or twice because I've been thinking of you all most of today. I've been wearing odd-socks since last Friday in mum's New Forest meet, because once you mix a couple of pairs up ,well that's two pairs at least but I seem to have mixed the whole sock drawer now. I drove David to your Bridge, easy to see why it was such a special place, it seems it is exactly that for many.

I only met dad a handful of times, I'm so glad I met him and I also saw that twinkle in his eye when we were admiring his bike at Misterton, I think all of us are richer for having met your Dad.

Thank you so much for posting, give mum a hug from Jackie and Griff.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I have avoided this page all day but popped in for a peep once or twice because I've been thinking of you all most of today. I've been wearing odd-socks since last Friday in mum's New Forest meet, because once you mix a couple of pairs up ,well that's two pairs at least but I seem to have mixed the whole sock drawer now. I drove David to your Bridge, easy to see why it was such a special place, it seems it is exactly that for many.

I only met dad a handful of times, I'm so glad I met him and I also saw that twinkle in his eye when we were admiring his bike at Misterton, I think all of us are richer for having met your Dad.

Thank you so much for posting, give mum a hug from Jackie and Griff.
You've been wearing the same socks since Friday....?!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've got tears in my eyes (again) but they're not of sadness. I said before I never met your dad but I wish I had. One day I hope to meet your mum (and you). You're a great example of all that's good in the human race. Keep your memories in your heart. Best wishes for your future.

OP
OP
Cal54

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@oddsocksnflagpoles Lauren, I can only re-inforce what others have already said. You all did your dad proud at the funeral and it was a lovely service. Your words were especially moving and certainly had the tears flowing, you and your brother David are a real credit to your mum and dad.

Just keep looking after each other, and try the Motorhome again, we will sort you out with internet access if you are on a rally with us sometime!

Give your mum a big hug from me, I consider her a real friend and wish I could take the hurt away. But you must look forward now as I'm sure that is what dad would urge.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thank you so much for all the messages today, the people who came and the people who were thinking of us. It means the world to us.

That was uh. The third hardest day of my entire life but it's over now and we can sleep knowing we just gave him the best send off anybody could wish for. The Tramps looked fantastic in formation, his bike looked wonderful at the front with our flagpole and people were looking as we passed by. He would've loved that SO much :LOL:

Drew the minister guy did a wonderful job with the time he had. There were some smiles and giggling amongst the sobbing today. A lot of people stopped me to mention the thing I'd written for Drew to read out, so I thought I'd post it here if that's okay.

This is not really something I expected or wanted to do for another twenty five years. Another lifetime for me. But you don't always get what you want.

So I started composing this in the shower, as you do. Wondering how on earth I could sum up a guy like my dad on one sheet of paper. And I decided a few things. Like a lot of the people I've talked to have said how angry they were when they lost somebody they loved. They hated the universe but I'm not gonna do that because that's not the kind of guy my dad was.

I'm not going to be angry. I'm just going to be grateful that I knew him.

Because I've heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason. Bringing something we must learn and we are led to those who help us most to grow if we let them, and we help them in return. And I don't know if I believe that's true. But I know I am who I am today because I knew you.

That's part of a song from a musical called Wicked. It holds the honour of being one of the few things I dragged him to that I think he actually enjoyed. There's been a lot of music lately. A lot of noise trying to fill the silence he's left behind and I've found that verse helps.

Okay so I've still got no idea how to put up a picture frame that's actually level and I'm dreading the first time I've got to deal with a spider on my own but I think he taught me something pretty cool. But I don't really really know how to describe it. Hakuna Matata, maybe?

That it's okay if you don't know the words to the song. The words aren't important. Just take the time to sing your song and enjoy it. Savour the little things just as much as the big things. Don't worry about the things that aren't so good. They can be fixed. They're not as huge as you think. Don't worry. Sing whatever song's stuck in your head and suddenly all those massive worries don't seem so big any more. They can be dealt with. And that helps me.

It well may be that we will never meet again in this lifetime. So let me say before we part.
So much of me is made of what I learned from you. You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart. And now whatever way our stories end. I know you have re-written mine by being my friend.

Because he was. He wasn't just my dad. He was my friend. He was everybody's friend. He made the world shine just that little bit brighter for so many people.

So if you want to remember him, don't remember today. Remember him when you're scrolling through the TV guide and you find some ridiculously awful movie that nobody would watch, because he would. Four times.

Remember him when you're driving somewhere and you see a really nice log pile in somebody's garden.

Remember him when you can't find a single pair of socks that match, or your clothes clash or you see a guy wearing socks with his sandals.

Remember him when your brain starts singing. Something you heard on the radio or on an advert that won't go away. Let it out. It doesn't matter if you don't know the words. The words aren't important.

Just sing for him.

xxx (I think I only have one free post left now so my next one better be a good one (y))

Made me cry even more the second time around ...

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Lauren @oddsocksnflagpoles I am sure that today you met David and Bev the ones we call @DavidG58, well while we were at the New Forest meet David told me about "Les's bridge" and showed me a photo, I knew it wasn't that far from where we were staying for a few days after the rally, while out on a bike ride we came upon this lovely peaceful spot that just felt right, I took some photo's to check with David and yes it is your Dad's bridge.

View attachment 131582

I hope you don't mind me sharing this photo with all your new friends;)

Martin

Martin that is the most beautiful of photos I have seen for a while. Thank you for posting it.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
@oddsocksnflagpoles @Debs sorry we couldn't be there yesterday but felt we were with all the pics of odd socks and posts through out the day . So good to see you are no longer a read only Funster now Lauren x your words you wrote for your dad were lovely . Hope to meet you one day if you do decide to come along with your mom . I'm sure Funsters will sort out the internet for you x

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Lu & myself have just opened & counted what was in the donation box (I have posted on the New Forest thread too)

I am speecheless at people's generosity - £774 has been received so fa. Amazed & really really touched. I cannot express how I feel.

Thank you everyone.
X

P.s. the avatar is a pic of Les that Lu took on one of their Ride To The Wall trips. He always wore those braces & they went with him. The T shirt will be with his old guy & penderyn hats in the van with me.
I thought I'd keep the pic for a few days

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Rich, Les's best mate was riding Les's bike in front, complete with flagpole, mascot & poppy.

The bike is now back home, clean as a new pin, done with love by our lad:)

I know folks might think it's morbid but I did want some pics & footage & as Lu said Les would spend hours looking through online pics of their Ride to the Wall trips.:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back