Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Hi guys
Are debit cards easily accepted in Belgium and do you get penalised on the exchange rate

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Surely Belgium accept debit cards?

I think some parts of it even have electricity. ;)

Revolut give you the interbank rate at the moment you use it...

Preloaded card though... load it from your debit card using the app on your smart phone.

Revolut ROCKS.

I am a believer.

JJ :cool:

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
@JJ. I have not got a Revolut card, Caxton for me, but I thought that it was "pre-paid". In other words you get the rate when you top it up, not when you use it

Edit - sorry, on re-read I think you mean when you use it to top up :notworthy:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
@JJ. I have not got a Revolut card, Caxton for me, but I thought that it was "pre-paid". In other words you get the rate when you top it up, not when you use it

Edit - sorry, on re-read I think you mean when you use it to top up :notworthy:

Nope... You get the exchange rate when you use it... or when you change your pounds to euros or dollars in the app.

So you load your Revolut card with pounds and if you think the pound is high and will drop soon, you exchange them for euros (or dollars). Your RC holds your money in pounds or euros or dollars (or some in all three depending on your choice).

When you use you RC to buy something in any one of 196 currencies it can deal with, it converts enough of your pounds/euros/dollars into that currency at the interbank exchange rate at the time of purchase to pay the bill. There are no fees for this. You instantly get the information of the transaction on your phone.

Revolut and Caxton are not the same.

(Of course you do need the app on your smartphone. No smartphone no Revolut.)

Last edited:

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
@JJ. Thanks, clear now

We use Caxton if at any time we think that the exchange rate is good and then preload with currency
Nationwide Flex Plus Visa to draw cash at current exchange rate
Halifax Clarity if Credit Cards are accepted

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You won't have a problem using it. The only place in Western Europe you're likely to have a problem will be certain parts of Germany where nothing, not debit cards, credit cards, Revolut, Caxton or anything else, will work. Cash is king in Germany.

The exchange rate is applied by your bank not the local processor so you won't get hammered any more or less than you do in any other Eurozone country.

Mr @JJ is right though - Revolut all the way.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
To answer the OP - whenever you choose to use a UK debit or credit card overseas, you will frequently be asked if you want to pay in the local currency or Sterling.
Always choose local currency and let your bank exchange to Sterling. If you choose to pay in Sterling the retailer will apply their exchange rate which will almost certainly not be in your favour.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
To answer the OP - whenever you choose to use a UK debit or credit card overseas, you will frequently be asked if you want to pay in the local currency or Sterling.
Always choose local currency and let your bank exchange to Sterling. If you choose to pay in Sterling the retailer will apply their exchange rate which will almost certainly not be in your favour.

None of the above is needed if you have a Revolut Card...

Just saying

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Hi guys
Are debit cards easily accepted in Belgium and do you get penalised on the exchange rate
We go to Belgium 2 or 3 times a year, and have never had a problem using HSBC or Santander (both Visa) debit cards - either making purchases or withdrawing cash from ATMs

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
We go to Belgium 2 or 3 times a year, and have never had a problem using HSBC or Santander (both Visa) debit cards - either making purchases or withdrawing cash from ATMs
Thank you Gizmouk ,we will be leaving thurday night for an early tunnel

OP
OP
laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Well we just emptied out our piggy bank ,i had to smash it open and we have over a Thousand quid in one pound and two pound coins ,guess we are going to have a party(y)(y)(y)

Jensfunancials

Free Member
Apr 23, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Self Build
Exp
Spend those old pound coins quickly before they become obsolete ;-) Now I am off to find out what a Revolut Card is!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My Santander Debit Card has been adding a £1.25 transaction fee to each foreign purchase in the last few weeks.

However, I don't use it very much as my Santander Zero Credit Card has no such fees. I believe there are other benefits to be had with Santander cashpoint withdrawals in the EU.

I don't recall Belgium being a problem with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back