Death of the tax disc: learn new rules or risk £1,000 fine (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can use telephone to get tax . have been able to for years and i dsid my m,bike earlier this year by telephone .

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
and nosey neighbours wont be able to tell that you havent taxed your car so you dont get reported

so if you live a rural area where police cars dont drive past every 5 minutes you are laughing

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Have i missed something if i leave for Spain on 1st oct and sorn my motorhome and then tax it online the first week of April prior to my return how will number plate recognision cameras work seems like 6 months saved
Won't work. To use your car in Europe it has to be legally registered for use in your home country. And as others have said your insurance will not be valid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Nothing new, they have been going for years. Have you seen those very tall blue poles at the roadside, with cameras fitted?? They clock every number plate passing, and the computer checks which is taxed, and which isnt. The last registered keeper then gets a bill for backtax times whatever mood they are in at DVLC. So if you say ran the untaxed car up to the shop, and the car was clocked, and you hadn't used it for the last ten years........BINGO!!
I think you'll find the blue cameras are traffic-master cameras which measure traffic flow on trunk roads. Quote taken from digitalspy.co.uk
''The double headed cameras (blue ones) are Trafficmaster cameras ( http://www.abd.org.uk/blue-cam.htm ) These are used not to monitor your individual speed, but to monitor the flow of traffic and provide updates to Satnav systems.''
In North Wales Police Area, small white cameras (look like speakers) have appeared on lampposts all around here, I believe these are ANPR cameras.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Here is a gantry with ANPR cameras on it (the two small cylinders). Units like these are placed in positions of high traffic flow (these are on an A road leading from the M40). http://goo.gl/maps/wxAQX
Also, CCTV cameras that are used to improve security in town centres can be used for number plate recognition.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I don't know why when they've gone down this road that the didn't link the road tax to the person rather than the car

You could declare how many miles you do a year like you do with insurance and it's easily checked as your mileage is entered at each mot and everything is controlled by dvla .......After all they own your vehicle anyway we're just the registered keepers these days

But one positive I see is you can take the option to pay monthly direct debit and pay your tax over the year which may benefit some people

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
traffic.jpg
I think you'll find the blue cameras are traffic-master cameras which measure traffic flow on trunk roads. Quote taken from digitalspy.co.uk
''The double headed cameras (blue ones) are Trafficmaster cameras ( http://www.abd.org.uk/blue-cam.htm ) These are used not to monitor your individual speed, but to monitor the flow of traffic and provide updates to Satnav systems.''
In North Wales Police Area, small white cameras (look like speakers) have appeared on lampposts all around here, I believe these are ANPR cameras.
I base my post on a conversation I had with a chap working on one of the blue post models. He had a lap-top plugged into the control panel, and showed me the screen. Yes, they are used for traffic flow as well, but the live camera picture(s) he showed me were angled to show up passing vehicles number plates. ????? I live in hope that someone can explain what these things really do, traffic flow, or another agenda as well??
This chap did tell me that the RAC rented 'space' on the programme for their traffic prediction service.

This picture represents what I witnessed on the laptop.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
you can use telephone to get tax . have been able to for years and i dsid my m,bike earlier this year by telephone .
My Dad always does his by post. Has never done it any other way. He doesn't use a computer and isn't near a post office.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks all. By reading these posts I have answered my own question. We too are leaving these Shores from( embarking 30 Sept) 1st October till 30 march (disembarking 1st April)and wondered if we needed to pay the tax (we already have by the way, end August for 1 year) as we won't be driving in the uk for 6 months.
Insurance would have a good excuse for not paying out should anything happen. (God forbid)

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Just been through my insurance booklet with Saga and it only states that my vehicle must be in a roadworthy condition and have an MOT if required no mention of VED . Also overseas police do not have access to the DVLA database to check

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
View attachment 38760
I base my post on a conversation I had with a chap working on one of the blue post models. He had a lap-top plugged into the control panel, and showed me the screen. Yes, they are used for traffic flow as well, but the live camera picture(s) he showed me were angled to show up passing vehicles number plates. ????? I live in hope that someone can explain what these things really do, traffic flow, or another agenda as well??
This chap did tell me that the RAC rented 'space' on the programme for their traffic prediction service.

This picture represents what I witnessed on the laptop.
The trafficmaster system does indeed read number plates but it only sends part of the number back to their headquarters, not the whole number. Although it records only part of the number this is enough to recognise vehicles. The system works by timing how long a vehicle takes after being recorded by one camera and then seen by the next. This way it knows if traffic is being delayed.

It is described about halfway down this article: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2001/mar/01/onlinesupplement

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
The trafficmaster system does indeed read number plates but it only sends part of the number back to their headquarters, not the whole number. Although it records only part of the number this is enough to recognise vehicles. The system works by timing how long a vehicle takes after being recorded by one camera and then seen by the next. This way it knows if traffic is being delayed.

It is described about halfway down this article: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2001/mar/01/onlinesupplement
My sat nav warns us of a DS2 , is that a DS2?

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I feel sorry for all those who report cars for no tax disc, in the short term they are going to have a field day with so many not having a disc untill they find out that they have been done away with.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My sat nav warns us of a DS2 , is that a DS2?
No, the blue cameras on the top of long poles are the things which gather information on traffic congestion by timing how long it takes traffic between pairs of cameras. They are not linked to any enforcement system and although they read the full number they don't transmit or record the full number, just enough so the system , by recording lots of vehicles, can work out the average speed of traffic.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
This might be a stupid question but why would the french police want to know if your vehicle had tax to drive on British roads ....if your there for 6 months and not in UK I don't see why they would be fussed unless they get a portion of UK tax money which I doubt

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
Wanderer,
Much as we would all like to avoid paying VED, think it through. If your Motorhome was stolen, you are technically uninsured, therefore do you want to risk many thousands of pounds, in order to save a £100 or so.
I know I would not take that risk!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
This might be a stupid question but why would the french police want to know if your vehicle had tax to drive on British roads ....if your there for 6 months and not in UK I don't see why they would be fussed unless they get a portion of UK tax money which I doubt
The answer to your question is simple - because that is the law. European law is clear that for any vehicle registered in one European home country to be used in another European country it must be legally able to be used in that home country. Hence the need for tax and MOT. Otherwise the roads of Europe would be full of vehicles registered in "other" countries and subject to no taxation or checks as to roadworthiness.

Now whether or not the French (or Spanish etc) police would actually check and act upon that check is another matter. Knowing how officious they can be and knowing the draconian powers they have I, for one, would not be willing to risk it. They could impound your motorhome and not release it until you show that it is legal in the UK.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the spanish police were lifting uk reg vehicles that werent showing current tax discs a few years ago. think they have been able to track vehicles .
in fact in 2000 i had a fine sent to my home in uk while was away in winter . they could only have got my address from the registration number as i never saw anyone or gave them my address .

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
...The paper element of the driving licence, which accompanies the credit card size photo-card, is also due to be axed in January 2015.

I like this bit. Not having the paper part of my licence to hand has caused me untold grief in the past. Yet go overseas and the plastic licence is all that is required (and expected). It should have been scrapped when they issues the plastic driving licence.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back