DEATH OF A MACBOOK AIR

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DiggerJon, Sep 14, 2015.

1. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

I discovered the hard way that Prosecco and MacBook Air do not mix. My first glass of wine for ages and I knocked it over the keyboard of the netbook which I then watched slowly die. A few flickering lights and then - oblivion. Fortunately, I had a backups of most important stuff and an Apple shop was nearby for vast applications of credit card. I was sniffy about Apple products, but remember your passwords and a new computer is soon up and running with all your contacts, emails, addresses, calendars as it nothing had happened - apart from a large whole in my finances. One glass of wine got me £900 - beware, do not drink and compute! Oh yes, ironic isn't it, I was browsing MotorhomeFun at the time.......

• Like Like x 2
  2. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Do you have accidental cover on your home contents insurance? If so you might be able to claim.

3. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Could they not revive it?

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

ouch..

Jan has an Air and I have a Macbook Pro .. and have a keyboard skin on each.

They may not help if a full glass is spilled, but will certainly help if splashed..

regards household insurance.. .. years ago I sat on a 17" Mac Powerbook and broke the screen.. sent it to Apple for repair, about £400 ...and had a successful claim against my household policy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

put it in a bag of dry rice and place on end in the airing cupboard for a few days. you would be amazed how many drink soiled laptops and phones this has recovered

• Like Like x 1
  6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

It would still be worth taking it to an Apple store if you have one close. The service is fantastic.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Sorry, thats an old wives tale.

If the device was turned on when dunked no amount of dry rice will repair the shorted out chips and circuits....unless the rice can micro-solder.

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

generally speaking pcb's are waterproof and although turned on, there is still a good chance it will be recoverable. Have personally used "the old wives tale" of rice to soak up the moisture as it evaporates out into the plastic bag a fair few times. and shock horror it works, not always, granted, but its worth a try

9. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

I did similar with a pint of guiness and my brand new 17" dell laptop,doing my DJ bit at the local the sudden silence was deafening.
    I took the battery out straightaway got it home and stripped it down .Luckily the sun was out next day so it all went out to dry .The only part that had to be renewed was the keyboard,still going now after 7 years or so.
    Nothing to lose by trying.:)

10. Howard4734

Howard4734

You should be abel to recover some of your expense by selling for spares/repair on ebay. Screen will be worth a few bob at least!

11. f6c

f6c Funster

Shame about the Prosseco:whistle:

• Like Like x 3