Dealers best 'Fob you off' lines

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Letsgetaway, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Letsgetaway

Letsgetaway Read Only Funster

What’s the best bull s**t line you’ve been given by your motor home dealer, for something you know is wrong with your van?

Here goes…..ours is to do with the famous leaking scuttle on our new Ducato, which is pouring in water into the engine bay because it is warped away from the windscreen.

The reply we got from the service manager, after much to-ing and fro-ing to the so called workshop was “from 2009 Fiat themselves sealed them” so I said “that it has not been sealed, as you can see underneath that there is no sealant and the water is pouring in.” “Oh no, it’s below the rubber where you can’t see it” he said. I said again “it has no sealant and it’s pouring in water”, knowing that he wasn’t going to win the argument he turned around and then said “that it’s designed to let the water in :Eek!:” Rubbing my head in my hands and laughing to myself I said I’m not going to argue about it, I’ll do it myself you stupid man. (I didn’t actually say you stupid man but I certainly thought it!):shout::shout:

Now what’s yours?

2. tofo

tofo Funster

We're going to change the shower floor moulding( shower tray )

Of course we can put a hatch door in the back

And fit a new heater

You take it have three weeks away

Then we will have it in and do it

Me on the day of collection

You haven't done the shower tray

No swift haven't got one so we are waiting

I said I'll take £250 off and pay it to you

When the tray is fitted

When I phoned no idea about the tray or the other bits

As we never intended off site camping and use of site facilities

It didn't matter to us

Cut my own hatch fitted a propexheater heater

Never bothered with the tray

Saved money doing it myself

Would I return to that dealer no chance
    Went to a dealer to change the van 18 mnths back
    Noticed they were part of the same group turned and walked

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

3. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Best advice I can give you

GET IT IN WRITING

never ever no matter what take their word as its not worth anything in a dispute, if they intend to keep a promise then they can put it in writing

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

One often heard at bike dealers, and massively over used is...

Oh, they all do that sir

yer right !!! :Angry: :Doh:

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

My lot don't know how to tell porkies

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  6. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

It only judders because you do not know how to reverse it ring any bells

• Like Like x 1
  7. cudleydudley

cudleydudley Read Only Funster

you just want to cry with frustration

me returning brand new m/home after 1 week,
    the rubber round the sink has been cut and should be changed, the rubber round the windows overlap and need cutting, the control box dont allow the battery to charge the engine battery on ehu, the fresh water drain tap has fallen from the body and is trailing on the ground,and needs changing,the decales are rolling up from the bottom 1 has blown off compleatly, the motor is stalling sometimes,[as you come to a r/about with the clutch down]
    HE LOOKED ME IN THE EYE AND SAID,"YOUR GOT TO TAKE THE VAN TO FORDS, AND YOU ALWAYS GET SOME LITTLE NIGGLES ON NEW VANS" :cry::Rofl1::cry:

fords gave the van 3 new updates to the computer at one go [so now working ok]
    the control box was sorted out after 3 visits
    i had to "make a apt for when the tap come in with decales [note 4 return trips over200 miles total, 6 months and todate 1 decale still not fitted
    found out that the cooker did not light up,[ it clicked smelt of gas but did not flame up]
    so at the NEC this oct i spoke to the MD of autotrail, he's reply "your contract is with the dealer, not us, and the best way to light the cooker is TURN THE GAS ON HOLD DOWN AND BLOW.:Doh:
    george

8. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

"Oh on this model they all do that" Yeh right :Rofl1:

9. Terry

Terry Funster

:BigGrin::Doh:
    Terry

10. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Along with the line "only ever been driven by the vicars wife to and from the church", I purchased a nearly new (used) outboard motor and the line that came out of his mouth,

"only ever been used on a small dinghy in a swimming pool."
    :Rofl1:

11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

The favourite of private sellers is very simple
    "Sorry couldn't tell you if it works, we never used it!"
    Once when trying to buy a hymer 660s, that was the reply we got to evey question, needless to say we walked away and have heard it a dozen times since from other sellers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. robnchris

robnchris Funster

dealers without morals

But the biggest crime is by oursleves, knowing that they all have the morals of alley cats and will tell you anything to part you from your hard earned cash we keep going to the dealers and buying new and used motorhomes from them.:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  13. maz

maz Funster

'We've never had anyone else with that problem with a van before' - making it sound like you're a total eejit. :Angry:

So then you tell them of all the instances of the same problem you've gathered from MotorhomeFun ............ :thumb:

14. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

To put the boot on the other foot I remember being in a motorbike shop when a youth walked in. Without even bothering to remove his full face helmet he asked for a "wotsit that goes under the tank". The chap behind the counter looked at him and said he did'nt know what he meant. The youth then said " you know, one of them things that goes down there" while gesticulating in an animated fashion. The sales man looked even more puzzled and the youth was getting more irate and with one last attempt at a description uttered the words, " you must know what I'm on about, the doofahs that go down there" .The salesman shook his head and as he did so the visor on the lads helmet slowly slid down and steamed up. At which point he turned round and left the shop. We both looked at each other and burst out laughing.

15. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

The funny thing is,.....people really relate to the truth. Our first MH was old, had loads of problems, many more than I first thought, so we decided to cut and run and put it on ebay. I put an elongated description of it, warts and all, sprinkled with loads of humour, I missed nothing out.
    Apart from the reparte in the "questions" section, I had buyers falling over themselves to bid for it...and I didnt give it away!
    It sold for a little less than I paid for it, I expected to get a bloody nose, enthusiasm and exitement are not good tools when choosing a mh. The buyer arrived, paid and took it away a happy man. He delayed leaving (good) feedback, as he went away in it to see what it was like, but with the description I had put, he would have had no comeback anyway...altogether a good deal.
    If a dealer turns me over, the thing that REALLY starts the fire burning, is that I consider they think i am a idiot, that i either would,nt notice the fault, would,nt care, or would be too scared to complain. They have no excuse, THEY are the experts, they should ceck everything and take responsibility for it, even if it is a "wear and tear" fault that they have no intention of putting right , it should be in the terms of sale so that the buyer knows what he is buying.

16. 656

656 Read Only Funster

I heard one dealer said "My lot don't know how to tell porkies":Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. steevie

steevie Funster

Never argue with an idiot....they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.:Rofl1:

18. buttons

buttons Funster

When I mentioned to a main dealer at a show that my 6 month old Swift Kontiki had severe water ingress he said with a smile on his face. You've got one of those have you we call them the Konleaky in the trade. :shout:

19. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

He must be a right shyster. :Cool:

20. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I've had "Well no-one else has complained about that", to which I replied that I was probably gonna be the first of many.

I've also had "I have no idea what you mean, so I can't help you". This was an answer to the question of how to calibrate my control panel to the PSU.

Fills you with confidence, doesn't it :Sad: