Dealer suggestions to buy a Hymer from in Europe?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Abacist, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I may be embarking on a trip looking for a B 680 Starline S and have spent a lot of time looking at mobile.de and have email results coming to me and various motorhomes parked. Trouble is who is going to be worth going to see and who is perhaps not going to give a good enough discount? I can see 15% discount being offered on some websites but can they be pushed further?

If anyone can make some suggestions either way it would be very useful. Some happily show discounted prices, others only show list prices and Palmowsky do a big pack of extras for very, very little.

I suspect one might be just in reach or I might have to settle for a secondhand one and the recent relative strength of the Euro to the Pound has not helped but new are still much cheaper abroad.

Secondhand prices seem to be much firmer than new and a chat to one dealer only yielded 500 Euros off and when I next spoke to him it had been sold which confirmed it as he didn't come back to me.

2. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jenben

Jenben Funster

We bought from Campirama in Belgium in November.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. colyboy

colyboy Funster

Jenben

Where in Belguim and what sort of price?

colyboy

6. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I have also pm'd @Lenny HB who bought his Hymer abroad.

Many thanks for all your help so far!

7. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

I bought from https://www.duerrwang.de/export_sales.htm They have huge stocks.
    Speak with Ulrich Duerrwang, they are Hymer dealers as well as N+B. 15% is a good target, Germans are slightly different to English and tend to give you their best deal up front.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

9. hymermick

hymermick Funster

I would also recommend Durrwang – Morlein in Dortmund having bought two new Hymers from them. They always have a large stock of new Hymers on show.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Roseandpeter

Roseandpeter Funster

We bought new from Campirama ...did the deal in December and picked up the new van with all bells and whistles in February. It was a stock vehicle though and did not need to be ordered from Hymer. Not sure what the Hymer delivery timescales are at the moment.

We did travel to Duerrwang and Hymerworld to have a look see and could not find a better deal than the one that Campirama gave us. I would not recommend Hymerworld. There did not seem to be much in the way of second hand vehicles at the dealerships we looked at and buying new seemed to be a better deal for us. The £ against the Euro was at 1.41 though!

The other benefit of Campirama is that they will drive the vehicle to the ferry port thereby negating the need to worry about insurance over there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Sounds a better discount then you will get from Campirama. I struggled to get 12% and their communication terrible........ Apparently it's important to talk to one particular sales person there according to @lennyhb best ask him.

I just can't get my head around why hymer stick with them bloody awful expensive headlights! If I can get a van again i will go for the compact Carthago A class

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Judge Mental

Why new makes more sense.....sometimes you can get 17% but I would be happy with 15%. Your already at least 10/20 thousand pounds better off then the scandalous UK prices.

Just make sure dealer don't withold the vat and extras are well priced. Just play a few off against each other for best deal, loads on mobile.de. make sure they are not to far away. ..Germany a big country! ....new in stock vans the way to do it....

Good luck Eddie :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Abacist

Abacist Funster

It seems that a new one is out of reach at present. I am therefore looking at secondhand. Could you expand on your comment about Hymerworld, perhaps by PM if you prefer. They happen to have a S/H ex rental for sale which is well equipped so any comments about this or why there are not on your preferred list would be appreciated!

14. Roseandpeter

Roseandpeter Funster

Hi Abacist

We found the place to be impersonal and it was difficult to actually get to talk to someone. That said, it is a big place with lots of different makes and models (new). They are concessions, so you can only talk to the one person for each make...There seemed to be only a couple of used salesmen, who were busy and we waited and waited as we wanted to look in a used N & B van. We had travelled a long way to see it. All used vans were locked. We eventually collared someone who was one of the managers who could see we were getting annoyed. He let us into the motorhome (used) and left us. Not a great experience.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Jenben

Jenben Funster

Re Campirama. I think @Lenny HB deals with Emmanuel. We dealt with his brother Sebastian and found the communication both before and after purchase was great. However it is fair to say they are very business focused and not very chatty. A small family firm though and post sales support has been excellent.

Maybe they have stepped up their game, as a Belgian guy we met on our travels said that they used to be known as Campi"drama" when the father used to be in charge:)

Discounts obviously vary a lot depending on the model of van you're after. Stock vans will be a lot better. Ours was and their price beat Duerrwang on an identical van, albeit only by a few hundred euro. Both were around 15-18% off Euro list, and due to exchange rate about 25-30% off UK prices (don't get me started on UK dealers.....).

The proximity to the UK and therefore cheaper travel also made them (or other Belgian dealers ) preferable to the German dealers for us.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Judge Mental

Makes absolute sense to me buying in Belgium...I will try Emanuel if there is a next time as found Sebastian not bothered re a better deal to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jenben

Jenben Funster

@Judge Mental it's worth a try.

My experience matches @sallylillian and that the German and Belgian dealers offer pretty much their best deals quickly and any further negotiations are limited. The amount you save by finding a dealer with the right van in stock or already on order (or with the right mfg incentive plan) seems to far outway the bit you can haggle over.

We found we could work out the production schedule of Hymer by looking at what was available on mobile.de and struck when the dealers were full of the model we wanted (there were 15 identical vans on offer across Germany/Belgium/France at the same time - 2 weeks later they were all gone).

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Other way round, Julian (Dad) despairs at how they run the business, known in the Hymer Club as "The Drama of Camparama" .
    They are great on the sales side, not bad on after sales support but it all goes wrong when you go to pick up your van just prepare yourself to write off the whole day.
    Having said that I've bought 2 vans from them and if I buy another Hymer it will be from them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Speve

Speve Funster

We got ours from Dürrwang last year, they are very helpful and give good discounts

• Like Like x 1
  20. Abacist

Abacist Funster

RoseandPeter

That does not sound encouraging as you say!