Dealer Obligations Under Warranty

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by CWH, Jul 6, 2015.

1. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

All you legal types:
    What can a victim (customer) do when a dealer takes on so much 'other' work that they can't fulfill their obligations for repairs under warranty within a reasonable time?

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I guess the critical point there is the definition of "reasonable time." The seriousness of the warranty work needed might come into it as well perhaps?

3. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Well, the top catch on our hab door is stuck in the locked position with the door open. We can sort-of close the door on the bottom catch, and lock it, but of course this means the door and hinges are twisting. They say they can't look at it till September.
    Do we have the "right" to get somebody else to do the work and charge them for it?
    (We're booked to do some Funster house/driveway-and-pet-sitting in a couple of weeks!!!)

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I would speak to them and say if they can't do it soon you will take it somewhere else and send them the bill. I suspect you will need to talk tough and if you have to go down this route be prepared to take them to court to get your money back. You also need to document every conversation you have with them and follow up your initial demand in writing, ensuring you keep a copy of everything.

• Like Like x 2
  5. NickNic

I don't know about the "right" but can you talk to them, explain you have to be able to use the van and see if they will agree to let someone else do it? Lay it on a bit thick, vital plans, impossible to change, nervous about sleeping it without being able to secure it properly and all that and see what happens.
    If you just get it done somewhere else and expect them to pay you'll be on a hiding to nothing.
    I suppose they will say that because the door can be opened and locked the van is usable and therefore 8 weeks or so isn't unreasonable. Not saying I agree just trying to think how they will look at it.
    Either way you will be better off not going all guns blazing and pissing them off so they dig their heels in.

Another option may be to see if they can fit you in to just remove the broken mechanism if that means the door at least shuts properly and then book it in to have the new one fitted later

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Ignoring the fact of our "understanding" CWH I don't think that September is reasonable when it is a security problem on an expensive piece of equipment that was purchased with the express purpose of using it, particularly in the summer. Is it not something Chris can tackle, alternatively another approved dealer for your model if not locally then possibly here in Norfolk?

• Like Like x 2
  7. NickNic

1. You can't send someone the bill for anything unless they have agreed in advance to be responsible for it.
    2. All tough talk and threats of court will do is piss them off and make them be as awkward as possible. I know. I used to do it, albeit in a different industry. They will let you spend the money issuing papers, string it out as long as possible and then a couple of days before the hearing offer you a slot to get the work done. If you refuse you're the unreasonable one.

• Like Like x 2
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

• Like Like x 1
  9. NickNic

What's the make and model of your van? If it's a reasonably cheap part and an easy job you may be better off forgetting the warranty and just getting on with it yourself.

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

chances are its only the lever come unclipped when the door has been closed with a thud. takes longer to take the inner panel off the door than fix the lock usually

• Like Like x 1
  11. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Some very helpful responses here, and some useful ideas, thank you.
    Fortunately we're not at the desperate or ranting stage, yet! We are talking to the dealer and they're not being unreasonable about alternatives at the moment, but I want to be sure where we stand if it all turns pear-shaped; not just in this instance, but in general as well. Part preparation, part curiosity.

When we explained our commitment the works manager did say "oh, a car's no use then?", which sounds hopeful I thought.
    We've asked about the dealer paying for a local authorised service garage to do the work and one is going to have a look tomorrow, but they may not be able to fix it in time especially if they need to get a part in.
    Unfortunately neither of us is technically any more competent than a raspberry jelly so DIY fixing-it is out of the question!
    I like this idea:
    Norfolk may well be a plan @Bailey58 .
    It would be really nice if this is the case!

• Like Like x 1
  12. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

@DBK a good link; as you say not the whole answer, but some useful pointers. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

in reality most motorhome builders buy the doors in ready made, so there are a couple of variations. this means that once the door type is identified, typical faults and spare parts are easy enough to come by.

the description that only the top catch is not working but the lower is, indicates the linkage inside the door is adrift. often they just clip back together. you may not be competent at diy but anyone else with a bit of experience with tools would find it reasonably simple

better get it fixed quick too as just relying on the bottom catch will twist the door in the heat of summer quickly

• Like Like x 1
  14. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

If they can't "fit you in " to repair a 2bob door catch you wouldn't want to be having a real problem with them would you ?

• Like Like x 3
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

And of course theres the issue of security.
    tell them in writing you hold them responsible for any theft, whether in use or in storage, as it cant be fully secured.
    a gap at the door edge/top/bottom is an invite for thieving fingers to rip the door open bearing in mind a motorhome is made of plastic and foam...not steel like a car or van.

• Like Like x 2
  16. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

In a way it's a bit like the who-gets-preferential-treatment-on-the-campsite thread; should we be able to jump the queue? In this instance I think yes, warranty repairs should take precedence over PDIs, hab checks etc.
    To be fair they haven't actually SEEN the door to know exactly what the problem is.
    This has been concerning us PPJ, there is a clear gap/ lip all the way around. Thankfully it does still seem to be watertight though. It's certainly a point to be made next time we speak to them.

17. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

I think you may well find that the insurance company wouldn't be happy & possibly wouldn't pay out if they realised that the vehicle , basically, cannot be securely locked.

• Like Like x 1
  18. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Ah. :(

19. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

I had warranty work done by an " approved workshop" no problem.....he got in contact with the supplier and filled in all the paperwork....job done.

If in doubt speak directly to the converter.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Our contract is with the dealer ..... so not sure how this would work out? It may be an option though if the dealer won't play.