Dealer / Manufacturer cop out, where do I stand? (1 Viewer)

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
edit to above, I seem to be having a run of poor quality service from all quarters, or maybe I am just becoming less tolerant, just had some bespoke furniture delivered, the delivery man, refused to bring it in even he couldn't believe it had been sent out so warped and this was a second attempt

Got an electric car from Mercedes should do 'up to' 140 miles on a charge, we never get more than 60, Mercedes now say it is weather / temperature dependent

Not to mention tenants who think that paying rent is a lower priority than all their other commitments, including new cars

It goes on, must be my age o_O
Reminds me of when picking up a new car I remarked to a mechanic about the claimed 65 miles to the gallon,without a thought he said yep ONCE going on to say that's with everything out including spare wheel ( even that was a bloody extra )
Ray

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
wish I lived further south, or really wish I had gone to Lowdams my nearer dealer, it all started with the headlight warranty issue, which I still feel should have applied to this one
but as above, moving on, as from now (y)

David, I wouldn't trust Lowdhams to take my dog for a sh1t.
IMO, they don't have a clue about Hymer, or any other make for that matter, despite being approved dealers. When they need Hymer parts they ring Brownhills just down the road who still have a warehouse full of Hymer stuff.

Why don't you have a word with Peter Hambilton Link Removed He knows Hymers inside out and may be also able to put you in contact with the right person in Germany to get the headlight problem resolved once and for all.

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Travel World. Director
Ross-Edwards.jpg

Mr Ross Ian Thomas Edwards

https://companycheck.co.uk/director/909986124/ROSS-IAN-THOMAS-EDWARDS/companies

http://www.checkcompany.co.uk/director/1297/MR-ROSS-IAN-THOMAS-EDWARDS

This may work...

ross@motorhomes.co.uk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
David, I wouldn't trust Lowdhams to take may dog for a sh1t. They don't have a clue about Hymer, or any other make for that matter, despite being approved dealers. When they need Hymer parts they ring Brownhills just down the road who still have a warehouse full of Hymer stuff.

Why don't you have a word with Peter Hambilton Link Removed He knows Hymers inside out and may be also able to put you in contact with the right person in Germany to get the headlight problem resolved once and for all.

Peter Hamilton a great idea......

Any idea how many sensitive souls (you know the type that give vans names:D) will be perturbed by your above statement!:censored:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
David, I wouldn't trust Lowdhams to take may dog for a sh1t. They don't have a clue about Hymer, or any other make for that matter, despite being approved dealers. When they need Hymer parts they ring Brownhills just down the road who still have a warehouse full of Hymer stuff.

Same opinion of Lowdhams I'm afraid only had the misfortune to be involved with them once that was enough.
Hambiltons are doing a refurb on our van later this year already done several friends vans all superb jobs.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have already used Hambiltons and will be going back there for hab check later this year, hopefully we have a laugh about the stupidity of what went on these last 2 weeks and he may learn from our experience for future jobs

I will be sending an email to Hymer thanks @ShiftZZ I have no expectation of any decent reply, but I will send anyway

Going for the body work mod @Terry today, not really much point in trying to get the light changed after that, it could well be that there is no other light option now anyway, just Hymer maybe need to acknowledge that a body work mod is needed and advise their dealers

An awful lot of hassle and my money over what should have been a simple job, then quite possibly only needed because of a design / fitting issue in the first place, totally bonkers

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
sounds like they could have got the wrong light from Brownhills .......................................You let this go they win and will carry on giving bad service I doubt they have evan spoke to Hymer on your behalf

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I don't think Brownhills are involved in this matter, reference to them being only that they still carry Hymer spares, despite having their Hymer dealership rescinded.

I believe the lamp was sourced from Germany by Travelworld who are the UK's largest Hymer agent.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Did I read correctly £1500 for a new headlight?:Eeek:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
David, I wouldn't trust Lowdhams to take my dog for a sh1t.
IMO, they don't have a clue about Hymer, or any other make for that matter, despite being approved dealers.

You see Ken there you go again, sittin' on that damn fence, say what ya mean man........ :rofl: :laughing: :rofl: :laughing: :rofl:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I don't think Brownhills are involved in this matter, reference to them being only that they still carry Hymer spares, despite having their Hymer dealership rescinded.

I believe the lamp was sourced from Germany by Travelworld who are the UK's largest Hymer agent.

Were ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Did I read correctly £1500 for a new headlight?:Eeek:
You can't believe it can you!, the problems @DavidG58 has had this last year would have cleaned me out, don't know what I would have done in his position, it would just have to have gone to pay for it I'm afraid, just hope those I saw yesterday buying autotrails have better luck, one couple were being shown round a van both probably late sixties just sitting inside while a salesman was showing them the TV and radio and stuff , no mention of looking underneath it or anything, £39000:Eeek: and I saw them later signing up.
This motorhoming lark is one big con if you have to deal with dealers:crying:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
sounds like they could have got the wrong light from Brownhills .......................................You let this go they win and will carry on giving bad service I doubt they have evan spoke to Hymer on your behalf

I have seen an email from Hymer in Germany saying they have supplied the right light, they don't seem to be able to look at the photo I have sent which TW say they have forwarded which shows it doesn't fit properly

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

this kind of event will not change them or their sales enough for them to worry about, that is the core of the problem

certainly makes buying from abroad more attractive to miss out this layer of profit takers though, but when you need parts you still need to buy from someone

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Trouble is though we are dealing in large value items, I bought this one privately for best bit of £70K and worried about lack of back up, I put a small bit on finance through work so Lombard dealt with the money side of things in full.

When I sold our previous MH privately for £24K had all the tyre kickers, potential drivers who didn't have insurance, then concerns about bank transfers, really not sure what the answer is

rent a holiday cottage maybe

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I had an interesting chat with the young lad who fitted my headlight at TW, asked him if he knew how much it had cost, he didn't but I asked him to give it his worst guess, he said £200 which would have been enough to break me at his age. He had no idea till I told him just how much I had just had to pay

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

That is a real shame that you feel that way about all dealers, in all my years dealing with Motor-homes I can assure you that I have only ever had very fair dealings with the dealer networks.

I've heard scare stories and poor customer service reports from others but I have never encountered it myself.

I regularly hear good things about Johns Cross and Tavelworld also. I have heard nothing but praise for Van Bitz, my dealings twice with Marquis before they were a National company was exemplary. I certainly have NEVER been conned!

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
We went to travel world a couple of weeks back to look at a £30,000 rv ,the salesman said the dashboard aircon was not working and would not be fixed in the asking price,, I lifted the engine cover to spot that there was no belt driving the compressor , told the salesman that may be the problem , he couldn't care less,,,,, , so we walked away,,,

Travel world lost a £30,000 sale for possibly a £10 drive belt,,,Oh and their couldn't care less attitude !
(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We went to travel world a couple of weeks back to look at a £30,000 rv ,the salesman said the dashboard aircon was not working and would not be fixed in the asking price,, I lifted the engine cover to spot that there was no belt driving the compressor , told the salesman that may be the problem , he couldn't care less,,,,, , so we walked away,,,

Travel world lost a £30,000 sale for possibly a £10 drive belt,,,Oh and their couldn't care less attitude !
(y)
Most likely didn't have the belt on because the compressor was seized.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

I don't know if you have been in touch with Ross the MD at TW.

If not, when you are all sorted just drop Him an e-mail and see what response you get, even if you don't get any satisfaction it might help somebody in the future.

Martin

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
That is a real shame that you feel that way about all dealers, in all my years dealing with Motor-homes I can assure you that I have only ever had very fair dealings with the dealer networks.

I've heard scare stories and poor customer service reports from others but I have never encountered it myself.

I regularly hear good things about Johns Cross and Tavelworld also. I have heard nothing but praise for Van Bitz, my dealings twice with Marquis before they were a National company was exemplary. I certainly have NEVER been conned!
Eddie 'the van' Jones. Nice bloke, wife is far far better looking that Eddie.. Never bought anything, but did get a VanBitZ alarm sticker, saves buying the kit. @eddievanbitz (just dont mention the RWC 2015) :whistle:

Johns Cross, another top class outfit, talking of which, where is Biggles,@Johns_Cross_Motorhomes ...

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David

I don't know if you have been in touch with Ross the MD at TW.

If not, when you are all sorted just drop Him an e-mail and see what response you get, even if you don't get any satisfaction it might help somebody in the future.

Martin

I have sent him an email, (Friday pm) tracked his name down on line somewhere, no reply yet, but he is allowed time off, but presuming I have got the email address right my guess he should have seen it already (y)

I wont copy it to here for now, will see if it gets a reply

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
IMG_1622 (1).JPG
IMG_1623.JPG

as @Terry suggested, 2 photos just taken, one of each side, the second the offside, no bulge neatly slotted into gap in bodywork, first with the offending bulge wedged against the body work

it really isn't rocket science and beyond belief that with these pictures Hymer and Travelworld both deny anything is wrong, they have taken their own photos as well and passed them to Germany

bonkers the lot of them, at my expense

@Popeye I know this is isn't your problem, but this is surely a good example of dealer misfire?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
May sound daft but can you get ins to cover headlamps like with screen cover ?I got spare headlights with the Itineo (y):LOL:
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I did check insurance, they will pay out, with £250 excess, then a knock on increase to all three insured vehicles next year, in brokers opinion I would lose out next year o_O paid for now, just the stupidity left to iron out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back