Dealer / Manufacturer cop out, where do I stand? (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Get them to come out to you to grind the body back to fit, they shouldn't have let it out of their garage in that condition.
Its not a great advert for Hymer or Travelworld.
Interesting that tw have a different 'approach' to premier nr Chichester

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Find some/all Hymer.de email addresses & send pictures stating the problem & route taken so far & there response. Wait a period for a response .If none ,Do it again, create other email addys & continue to do so until you are getting a sensible dialogue with someone.

Most dealers ensure that all parts changed ,the old ones are left available for the customer to take away.

I think I have lost the will to fight, actually felt quite bad last night, feeling shat upon, up against the big boys, they have my money, I have the problem, seems to be a recurring problem of mine, now I can see a fix option going for that, then I might just send a few emails hoping Hymer do see there was an actual issue (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Morning David :) Modifying the wing or light is no problem :DThe only thing I can see a slight possibility with is aligning the bolt holes -I think yours have enough play /movement to allow the light to be moved into correct position if not then these may need elongating/ modifying ;) as well -still not a problem and easy enough to do :)
As I see it you have two options Mod it or face months of trying to sort it out not enjoying your van :LOL:
I would also ask Hella if they can supply a unit /and or try another dealer to see what price they can supply a unit for (y)-IF I remember right you paid around £100 extra for them to fit what basically took my self /Martin and other's supervising about 15 mins to remove discuss mod-ing and replace -I know it was not long because I don't remember getting a coffee :whistle::LOL: Until after;)
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Phew we came close to buying a new van recently. Thank god we didn't I don't have your patience or control my hands would be around someone's throat by now.
Last time I experienced service this bad was from Mercedes on a £50k E class never bought new since.
Absolutely! Another thing iv just thought of, if you 'modify the body' at one side, it won't match the other side, crazy situation, I could never stand it.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just send Hella the part no on existing working lamp and new one and ask their opinion and photos of each

Not actually contacted Hella yet, but have been told you cant buy direct as it is a Hymer only part, suspect they may not communicate with end users

By working light you mean the original offside light or new nearside? I don't have original that was changed that it a big part of the problem

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Get them to come out to you to grind the body back to fit, they shouldn't have let it out of their garage in that condition.
Its not a great advert for Hymer or Travelworld.

Totally agree, but to quote TW, 'we have now done all we can' :(:mad:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Probably time to fix it yourself and move on or you'll just get more n more stressed and lifes too short.
Afraid these dealers are all the same cars vans bikes etc etc they really don't give a toss once it's sold.
Had an issue recently with a Kawasaki abs actuator well documented problem Kawasakis answer £1000.00 for new part.
My answer unrepeatable just did away with it and gone back to normal brakes. Bloody bikes only worth £1500.00

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Absolutely! Another thing iv just thought of, if you 'modify the body' at one side, it won't match the other side, crazy situation, I could never stand it.

the 'mod' is only a small cut out, more or less behind the light unit, you would need to be looking to find it, but agree it is a crazy situation

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Probably time to fix it yourself and move on or you'll just get more n more stressed and lifes too short.

That is very much where I am today, going to call Terry in a bit and get it sorted

I am ready to move on, but hopefully a few will now be wary of Hymer and Travelworld, they love the easy bits, but hide when things get a little tough, this could and should have been so easy to sort

Worst bit is, somebody else will have exactly the same problem soon, will they deny it again then, or am I already not the first

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Interesting that tw have a different 'approach' to premier nr Chichester

wish I lived further south, or really wish I had gone to Lowdams my nearer dealer, it all started with the headlight warranty issue, which I still feel should have applied to this one

but as above, moving on, as from now (y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Chaser, the tiny part of the bodywork that would need slight modification, is hidden once the lamp fits correctly in the aperture,so everything would look just right. It was the first thing we all spotted at Chester, so why the hell TW let it out of their workshop like that, is anyone's guess.............bunch of sheisters. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It is a simple matter of grinding away a small bit of unseen fibreglass wing or a small plastic bit off the headlight,again it will be unseen-Not worth loosing sleep over and if the garage had used common sense it would have been fitted /modify without anyone being any wiser/annoyed with what is a terrible fitting light -As it stands it looks like a poor apprentice made a pigs ear of the job and if so, the supervisor who let it out of the workshop needs a kick up the arse as well :D
Edit WHAT JOCK said while typing

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning David :) Modifying the wing or light is no problem :DThe only thing I can see a slight possibility with is aligning the bolt holes -I think yours have enough play /movement to allow the light to be moved into correct position if not then these may need elongating/ modifying ;) as well -still not a problem and easy enough to do :)
As I see it you have two options Mod it or face months of trying to sort it out not enjoying your van :LOL:
I would also ask Hella if they can supply a unit /and or try another dealer to see what price they can supply a unit for (y)-IF I remember right you paid around £100 extra for them to fit what basically took my self /Martin and other's supervising about 15 mins to remove discuss mod-ing and replace -I know it was not long because I don't remember getting a coffee :whistle::LOL: Until after;)
terry

Morning Terry

I think taking out the bit of bodywork is best, but we can look at it together, the fixings are captive threads so pretty much fixed in place, TW did look at that when they originally agreed it was not right, but effectively said, all we can do is fit it where the fixings are, even if that is wrong

Will call you in a bit :)

Thanks (y)(y)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Are TW and Hymer been made aware of the adverse publicity they are getting?
If I was TW, I would be doing all I could to sort it, how many people now know about your problem in this age of instant communication? Hope it's sorted soon.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
If it was me I would not modify the light unit in any way shape or form! If you do that and the unit fails quickly for some reason the supplier will have an obvious cop out saying "you shouldn't have done that sorry the warranty is void"

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Are TW and Hymer been made aware of the adverse publicity they are getting?
If I was TW, I would be doing all I could to sort it, how many people now know about your problem in this age of instant communication? Hope it's sorted soon.

I hope that by occasionally referring to them in full (Travelworld) they will pop up on a few more google searches (y)

I did have sympathy for them, they only fitted what they were given, that is until they sided with their trading partner and pulled up the drawbridge, quite pathetic o_O

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
David I may be persuaded to swap the Itineo for a beat up modified old Hymer :D:D:D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not actually contacted Hella yet, but have been told you cant buy direct as it is a Hymer only part, suspect they may not communicate with end users

By working light you mean the original offside light or new nearside? I don't have original that was changed that it a big part of the problem
Yes working off side. ....worth a shot

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Feel your pain I would write to directors of both companys and also show them these threads I would make it go viral also. I would evan consider going to the dealers or evan Hymer and kicking up a fuss

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Did they check that it would pass the MOt light test ? I bet they didn't & would like to know if it actually would ?

I don't think the tight fit will affect the alignment too much, my fear is that it could fracture the glass due to body movement

or do you mean driving it without a headlight fitted at all, as they suggested in conjunction with the refund option, telling me that was quite legal, I guess they may be right, but hardly a long term solution

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I hope that by occasionally referring to them in full (Travelworld) they will pop up on a few more google searches (y)

I did have sympathy for them, they only fitted what they were given, that is until they sided with their trading partner and pulled up the drawbridge, quite pathetic o_O

No there's no sympathy from me & they should be ashamed & embarrassed that they even had the gall to allow your vehicle to leave their workshops with the headlight fitted like that . What would they have said if it had shattered on the way home ? THEY should have taken it up with Hymer on their own behalf, having to let out what is an abortion of a job that has been seen by all & sundry at the meet you went to & 000's reading this on the net, let alone yours.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Morning Terry

I think taking out the bit of bodywork is best, but we can look at it together, the fixings are captive threads so pretty much fixed in place, TW did look at that when they originally agreed it was not right, but effectively said, all we can do is fit it where the fixings are, even if that is wrong

Will call you in a bit :)

Thanks (y)(y)
Not wishing to add further to your woes.
I would with reference to the above get a Headlight alignment check as soon as your happy with the fit
I fully understand Travel Worlds reluctance to mod mountings as this could seriously effect any later adjustments even taking the lamp out of its normal adjustment range and the problem wont be noticed till MoT test time.

It only requires the smallest alteration to throw the lamp way out
But I too am dismayed at there attitude of Travel world plus the cost of the unit it's self is of course a huge con in its own right. Its a huge shame someone hasn't tested Hymers right to refuse liability
Geo

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Geo points noted, by removing the little bit of body work that is in contact with the light here, it will sit exactly as the original did and remove the tension issue. It could be slightly out as it is now I agree, another good point against TW

IMG_1619.JPG

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Perhaps David could take close up pic of both headlights showing fitting
it would become quite obvious that the drivers side is a nice 3/4 mm clearance following the wing while the Passenger side is about 10 mm out at the top -Unless you have seen it ,it's hard to imagine ;)

David what is yr/model etc (for others) that way we can get a few funster's on board looking for a light-then get Travelworld to remove / refund - and if you are fed up with trying to get redress from both Hymer and Travelworld let another David @ShiftZZ loose on them :DHe will have you all phone numbers/email adds in mins (y):LOL:-he has nothing better to do ;) and too much time on his hands :LOL:
terry
EDIT STOP READING MY THOUGHTS AND POSTING WHILE I TYPE :D:D:D

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
This is appalling service from Travelworld and very shoddy workmanship from the fitter and workshop staff. This thread on its own has completely put me off having anything to do with Travelworld. I hope you get it fixed soon. Terry's solution would seem to be the best one. You could always photograph and document the fix and then use the evidence to make a claim against Travelworld for compensation. I'm also wondering if you could fit some rubber washers on the fittings to reduce vibration which might cause it to happen again.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Have you removed the other light to compare ? are part numbers close ? .........................I once bought 2 new race engines once no warranty applied to them from the get go I had issues with both engines. The seller wouldnt admit there was a fault and wouldnt accept any responsibility I let my credit card company sort it out. The outcome to me was full refund eventualy fixed the engines myself and sold them on after a period of waiting for the seller to collect then refusing. All the seller had to do was apolagise and fix engines the loss of the engines and the bad publicity cost him lots of revenue which he could have avoided.

fight fight fight that kind of money takes me ages to earn and that kind of disposible income evan longer this must be faught

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
When looking at left and right parts as in headlights the only difference in part numbers will be the last number , even number for right odd number for left. Normally 2 for right and 1 for left (y)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Perhaps David could take close up pic of both headlights showing fitting
it would become quite obvious that the drivers side is a nice 3/4 mm clearance following the wing while the Passenger side is about 10 mm out at the top -Unless you have seen it ,it's hard to imagine ;)

David what is yr/model etc (for others) that way we can get a few funster's on board looking for a light-then get Travelworld to remove / refund - and if you are fed up with trying to get redress from both Hymer and Travelworld let another David @ShiftZZ loose on them :DHe will have you all phone numbers/email adds in mins (y):LOL:-he has nothing better to do ;) and too much time on his hands :LOL:
terry
EDIT STOP READING MY THOUGHTS AND POSTING WHILE I TYPE :D:D:D

Hymer CEO.
bernhard.kibler@hymer.com

Bernhard Kibler:
“Quality is our mission.”

An interview with Bernhard Kibler, Managing Director of Hymer GmbH & Co. KG, on the company’s long-standing strategic partnership with Mercedes-Benz, exclusive new products and successful record.

Mr Kibler, a lot has happened at HYMER since last year. Which new products will you be presenting at the Caravan Salon Düsseldorf?

We have managed to build on the successes of recent years, and will be launching new products as well as innovative concepts for designing flexible interiors.

I suggest that you mention the above and add presse@hymer.com for good luck...You may mention that you intend going to dump the van at TW with the press in attendance...

Good luck..

ShiftZZ

PS, Hymer is part of the Erwin Hymer Group..
Executive board Martin Brandt (CEO)
Jan de Haas
Jörg Reithmeier
Klaus Rudolph

Press contact:
Jacqueline Casini
Head of Corporate Communications
Email: Jacqueline.casini@erwinhymergroup.com
Tel .:
+49 (0) 7524-999-8448
Mobile: +49 (0) 151-44 34 55 83

So the CEO's email could well be,,,
Martin.Brandt@erwinhymergroup.com valdated..(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back