LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I went to Argos in Milton Keynes, bought something, got home and a part of it was missing.

Drove all the way back, they gave me another (checked to see if it was complete), asked for my traveling and was told no, asked to speak to the manager who agreed to give me £10 and could I please release his testicles as I was hurting him....:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Did that with ToysRus once

I went to Argos in Milton Keynes, bought something, got home and a part of it was missing.

Drove all the way back, they gave me another (checked to see if it was complete), asked for my traveling and was told no, asked to speak to the manager who agreed to give me £10 and could I please release his testicles as I was hurting him....:thumb:

I did the same with ToysRus in Chatham in Kent about 8 years ago.. took it back as a part was missing and got them to pay £10 petrol.. you have to ask for your rights I regret

Bob

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

I had similar experience at B&Q in Norwich recently..........I bought a Bosch rechargeable trimmer and a handle to fit. Got it home.....wrong handle.:Angry:

Took it back "oh we dont keep the correct handle" :Doh: so after some "negotiating" I got a refund on the handle plus £10 for fuel.

Got home again & called Bosch direct "no problem sir I'll put one in the post today".......received following day FOC ( worth over £20):thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Compensation

Oh god, you nightmare punters. Sloba and Shiftzzz. The legal view of this is that motor vehicles to break and that you must give the dealer the opportunity to repair it. He didn't build it so you can only blame him in so far as his responsibility is to fix it. He has no obligation to pay for your travel.

Next time, buy closer to home.

I bought from SMC in Newark, a fellow Pilote franchisee of Peter. For us its a 300 mile trip, they have picked up a couple of times when we had some early niggles, but beyond that I expect nothing more than repairs to the van as required. The service has been fantastic and the team they have care. Peter, I spoke to your team on two occasions as shows, I too run a sales team, we carlease.uk.com and vanlease.uk.com, your guys do you proud.

If everything goes right, don't take it for granted, think it may just be a really good pdi, if you have a problem, accept that its normal, because it is.

Peter, why do people expect a washing machine breaking down but expect a motorhome, which is complex as hell to go for ever?

Philk

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Peter, why do people expect a washing machine breaking down but expect a motorhome, which is complex as hell to go for ever?

Cos we do:ROFLMAO:especially when you`ve paid 30 grand for it

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Oh god, you nightmare punters. Sloba and Shiftzzz. The legal view of this is that motor vehicles to break and that you must give the dealer the opportunity to repair it. He didn't build it so you can only blame him in so far as his responsibility is to fix it. He has no obligation to pay for your travel.

Philk

Not sure that is the legal view actually.

If you are selling something as a business then the Sale of Goods Act applies.

If a seller sells defective goods then the liability is to put the punter in the position he would have been had the contract been performed. That includes travel expenses if the defects require repair.

Motorhomes of course go wrong and it would not apply to normal wear and tear but if you sell with a defect like damp then watch out. if you know of a defect , tell the punter then there is no comeback.

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
This is how it works whether its a washing machine, dress or a motorhome:

UK trading law states that when you buy goods it is your responsibility to look after and maintain those goods and keep them in good order. This includes it being your responsibility to return the goods to the trader/dealer for repair if they fail in order to keep them in working order. It is not the responsibility of the trader/dealer to pay for, or organise the return of the goods.
If you fail to return goods which have gone faulty and decide to "live with it" you can then invalidate the rest of your warranty if another fault occurs.
The dealer/trader must honour the warranty by making the repair, exchanging the goods or refund in part or full, the choice is the dealers/traders to choose which is best suited to the situation.
Some traders/dealers/shops will pay for the return of goods, eg catalogue companies, but this is at the companies discretion.

The retailer is protected under the EU Long Distance Selling Act 2002 (which was mainly set up for internet sales, but also governs other sales of distance).

There ya go.....the dealer has done nothing wrong.

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Scek,

That sounded like a factual, lawyer type reply .....

My observations are from several angles, one i am a motorhome owner and therefore customer, two i have had a garage and sold and repaired cars for many years and three, I head the trading standards fair play charter and have done since its inception in 1998. This means knowing your law, so i wasnt guessing and it also means setting the standards.

In our case we have no case ever and opened in 1958. My initial post was for fun and directed at people I have spoken to before . It was though, factually correct.

Phil

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Right, how many of us buy a motorhome close to home...?

Why should I or anyone else have to pick up the cost of the dealers cockups? Certain dealers/suppliers/banks/utilities get slack, don't really care and the only way they can get back inline is to punish them and the punishment has to be financial.

Do you think if you took the van back and asked for some work to be done they would do it for free, or, Yes Mr ShiftZZ we will drive 60 miles to pick up you motorhome, which we messed up. Sorry...

I DON'T THINK SO!!

I had to sort out the mess of one dealer and then I had to phone up France at my expense because they could not work out the part number, it was a standard piece of kit.... STUNNINGLY BAD<>

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
compensation

i small apology Shifty, I read this posting from about page 2 onwards, your original is a bloody good point. If it is something that is actually supposed to be done rather than simply warranty repair, first time, then I am on your side.

Phil

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I bought mine close to home about 20 miles I think Mansfield to Newark
havent had any issues with this one so I can`t comment:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have a motorhome made by a company with ONE place of work and sales if they do not do something properly and you have to return then what some of you are saying is you should not be compensated for your time and travel! I do not think so!:Eeek:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
STCYR said "Full service: new cambelt/tensioners, disc pads,one disc,new pump in the water tank, new mot ..."

I'm more than a little concerned about the ONE brake disc being replaced as they should ALWAYS be replaced in pairs! Just seems a bit of a penny pinching deal to only replace one, discs come in pairs from my suppliers anyway.

As for compo for travelling to a dealer for warranty work I have mixed feelings, on the one hand everything should have been A1, tickety boo but we all know things go wrong. Nobody made you buy from a dealer 160 (or whatever) miles away though so why should the dealer foot the bill for your travelling?

Purely as an example, If you buy a telly from Asda and it goes wrong you take it back to the store, do you ask them to reimburse your travelling costs?

D.

Yes, I worded that wrong :Doh:. He found that there was a judder from the brakes when he took it down the road for the mot (he uses independent mot garage). Left hand disc was the culprit, both sides were actually replaced, along with new pads. He could've left it for me to find out and then have the hassle of sorting it later, an experience I've had before when buying cars...

:thumb:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Never had any problem with the Dealer I've dealt with for the last 6 years.
Always put enough diesel in motorhome to get me home(160 miles plus).
I've only been up once for things to be done and they gave me 3/4s of my cost for
diesel to get there and back (same day).
I had to go up last year to have some damage repaired on my motorhome,they
loaned me another motorhome to come back home in with enough diesel in to get
me home and back up to pick my motorhome when it was repaired.they also said if
I wanted to use it for anythink I could.
I am having another motorhome of them in March,they have already sent a driver
down 3 weeks ago to pick my motorhome up so that my extra's could be took
off ready to be put on my new one,they will pick me up when my new van is
ready and most likely put diesel in new one so I can get home.

Who are these wonderful people? please tell us:thumb:

We wish they were all like this, have you put their details in here?:thumb:

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back