Nov 20, 2007
Evesham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on & off for 20 yrs
Hi Jim.

Linda at "Stateside" does them. Bought one last year, looks strong and well made.

Just a thought but maybe Jim:notworthy::notworthy: could put some in the "shop"

Regards Geoff.​

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi all

Important note, make sure the key can be got at easily and used in the dark, I would rather be robbed than die with my family trapped in a fire.

With caravan door you could safely leave key in the deadlock.

Sorry this is a slightly dark post and I dont want to post links to fires that have claimed lives due to security measures, but please have an exit plan.

BTW I always make sure everybody can operate all doors, exits, what seems obvious to you, may not be to partner or kids, I was surprised to find that the kids could not operate rear van door on the self build Merc I had, until after I showed them how the catch worked.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
These are a relatively inexpensive but effective deadbolt designed for use on RVs Jim. The one Geoff referred to in his post.

A key lock for the outside and a simple twist mechanism on the inside.

Attachments

• .RVstandard-deadbolt.jpg
    .RVstandard-deadbolt.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 151

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Linda, those are great for those that do not already have a dead bolt and key fitted. It means that hey can put a dead bolt on when they leave the vehicle which is always a good idea.

For security when you are in the motorhome a simple throwbolt, like yours, but without the key bit would be ideal.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
That is the only one I currently keep, have looked in my books and no keyless versions are available.

Perhaps a word with Paul Harrison is the way to go, as Brisey suggested :Smile:

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Jim I have just developed a lock for the habitation doors of RV,s it can be fitted with a single cylinder, or if you whan,t to use it when you are in your RV a double cyl
I have fitted it to my Coachman and there are no problems it will fit any RV
Paul

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I'm confused, although I'll admit it doesn't take much...

Don't RVs come with deadbolts already installed? All the class A motorhomes, trailers and fifthwheels I've seen do. Not sure about class C motorhomes, but class B (vans) I can see having more of the car style locks.

Maybe I need to pay more attention next time I enter someone else's rig or look at them more closely in RV shows.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
They do Tom, but I think what the guys are after is additional security - belt & braces so to speak (or, in Amerispeak....suspenders :roflmto: )

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Tom
the deadbolts on RV,s open with a very simple key from the outside and a turn button on the inside every Rv door as a glass panel which can easily be broken or if you slip a window a deadlock stop anybody opening the door without a key so the only way to break in is a window and the only way out is the same as most RV windows are about 6ft up this will put a lot of thief's off
Paul

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Ah, so one solution is a key from both sides rather than a turn button on the inside?

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Paul,

Bud :Confused: You won't find any of that stuff in our refrigerators. When someone asks for a Bud, I tell them to go to the supermarket and buy it themselves.

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
BTW Paul, we've had numerous discussions elsewhere about the potential safety hazard of not leaving (or not) the key in the inside of a double keyed deadbolt. Trying to get out in the event of a fire in the middle of the night, fumbling with a key.... But I can see it makes a lot of sense when you're away from the RV.

If someone really wanted to get into an RV while the occupants are away, they'd do what someone did to our prior coach while we had it on a storage lot; They kicked out the large living room window.

Anyone considered putting alarms on doors and windows? We haven't, but I know folks who have.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Given a choice I would not have key operated bolt on the inside. Sods law says it would be locked when you want out in a hurry. The only thing wrong with the existing throw bolt on most RVs is that it can be opened from the outside very easily without a key. A simple throw bolt that you can engage when you retire is what I choose and use. :Smile:

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Same here Jim.

Wide awake on her best days, my wife doesn't do keys. After she's figured out where she put them, she struggles to get the right key in the right lock, and continues to fight with it as she tries to insert the key upside down. If she's lucky enough to insert the right key in the right lock the right way up, she tries to turn it the wrong way. Then she announces "there's something wrong with this lock again".

I can't imagine what my honey would do if she woke up in the middle of the night with the smoke alarm going off.

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Given a choice I would not have key operated bolt on the inside. Sods law says it would be locked when you want out in a hurry. The only thing wrong with the existing throw bolt on most RVs is that it can be opened from the outside very easily without a key. A simple throw bolt that you can engage when you retire is what I choose and use. :Smile:

Hi Jim I have made a simple device a shaped piece of wood which wedges between the two locking levers on the inside of the door and stops the levers moving so you can,t bounce the cylinders, because the fly screen stops me using a double cylinder
Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back