Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Hi all

When de-winterising a Trauma water heater is there anything I need to do apart from ensuring that it's full of water? The heater doesn't seem to be working:cry:, water comes out of the hot tap but it's cold, even after it's being switched on for 45mins :cry:

:helpsos:

onthebeach

Formerly 'Leggo'
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Spain
Funster No
Exp
5 yrs
Heating

Hi

Leggo here with Moncayo, :thumb: do not know if we have the same model but when I get ready to go away I just make sure that it is full with water. Although you have already said that. You did not mention what the controller is telling you, mine changes colour when it is ready or the pilote light is ok.

Hope this may help.

Leggo

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi,

There is a plunger, red in colour, about the same size as a thick pencil on the side of the boiler, which is the auto drain valve, which dumps the water if the outside air temperature temperature get's too low (I think it cuts in at around -5c). It should re-set automatically, but it may have stuck, so you'll have to re-set it manually. If this is not closed, then the boiler will not fill, nor will the boiler light, so no matter how long you 'think' the water has been heating, it really hasn't. The LED inside the thermostat/on-off switch should be green, not amber.

When it turns green, the boiler is heating.

I hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Thought that was an electrical re-set button at the back of the heater where wire goes in but could be wrong years since I Had to deal with Truma

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
It is definitely the water release valve. It's the one I use to drain down the boiler at the beginning of the winter so that the water doesn't freeze. It also works automatically if you forget.

If it's in the open position, the boiler won't fill, so you'll get no hot water.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Does it have an electric heater element or is it gas only?

Have you taken the cowl off the exhaust vent? Mine won't light on gas if it is on.

Lunarman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the ideas:thumb: I'll have a look at the drain valve on Thursday :Smile:

:thanks2:​

really cant see it being the auto drain valve.

if it was stuck open it would just empty your fresh water tank to the outside and it wouldnt take 45 mins to empty it either.

if the valve was stuck open you probably wouldnt get any water, hot or not, from the hot tap as the outlet (hot)pipe at the boiler should be at or near the top of the boiler and the inlet (cold)pipe at the bottom so water would never reach the outlet to the hot tap.

sounds to me like a faulty boiler/control panel.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Yes, if water is coming out of the hot tap (in a solid continuous stream so you know the heater is not full of air) then the water circuit is OK.

Easy to check if the gas system is working - check at the outside vent once you have followed the correct fire up procedure - which included turning the gas on at the bottle, the gas on at the appliance tap, making sure there is gas (check at the cooktop), making sure there is power to any auto-ignition circuit and last of all, checking that there is hot air coming out of the vent (after making sure any cover is off)

If you can't feel or hear the heater light up, then it isn't lighting.

Do you have a dual heat system - gas or mains? Got it switched to the correct one/

etc etc.

PS if yours does have an electrical element (an immersed element) and you did switch that on without water in the heater, the element is likely burnt out. If the element is a wrap around type then as another poster suggested, it may have tripped an over-temperature cut out

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back