De humidifer

Discussion in 'Motorhome Storage' started by buckby, Oct 5, 2014.

1. buckby

buckby

Went to Asda today and found this reduced from £20.00 to £15.00 couldn't refuse it for winter. WP_20141005_12_34_50_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

Just check the operating temperatures - the cheap ones that Aldi sell will not work below 10C. They rely on ambient temperature to thaw the captured moisture, which turn to ice. Anything below 10c and the ice does not melt before the cooling unit kicks back in (not adjustable time period), resulting in more cooling which equals one big block of ice at the rear, which funnily cools the motorhome down even more.

The type of humidifier supplied by Ebac etc, which costs a lot more has a forced thawing system, which will operate to lower temperatures, but again struggles when in a cold place.

If you have bought it to keep unheated motor home damp free in winter - then it is unlikely to work. Better return it and get money back when you can.

Only my thoughts having bought 3 cheap ones before giving up. The home one (ebac) works better, but again won’t work when it gets really cold.

3. buckby

buckby

It should be all right as I have an heater on all winter as well

4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Their great, but dont buy the Pifco model...........(y)(y)

5. glyndwr

glyndwr Read Only Funster

6. Daz n Tina

Daz n Tina Funster

I used one in my old self build with a low wattage tube heater, worked fantastic.

7. buckby

buckby

This one is half full after about a week working really well

8. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

As a comparison stick it outside your back door and see how much moisture you collect!
    I'll bet it's the same if not more ,in which case it's damper outside than it is in your Mh .This will explain why dealers up and down the country of motorhomes, cars and vans don't bother to heat then dehumidify them. Once drained down they will survive fear not.
    If It makes you feel better and you've loads of cash heat,your Mh ,de- humidify, leave the satellite on run the fridge and light the cooker twice a week.Then when spring comes and something won't work at least you'll know it wasn't the damp!:whistle2:

Vlad

• Like Like x 3
  9. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

I've always used the absorbing crystals bought in bulk and used in an old plastic Chinese take away container. It seems to work without using power. It may not be necessary, but it makes me feel better!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Happycampers1

Happycampers1 Read Only Funster

Someone at our campsite told us they have put a tray of salt in their van overwinter every year and it works very well. I bought £3 worth of salt and put in in the van. Lets see what it looks like when we get in after the winter.

11. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

Checked the van yesterday humidity at 70% left de humidifier on till this afternoon, now reads 45% which is a bit too dry!

12. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

That type of dehumidifier is probably better used when the M/H is occupied, ie internal temperature above 15C, rather than when it's unoccupied and below 15C, for most of the time. I say most of the time because I don't think you can completely stop solar gain. There's, also, more need for a dehumidifier when you're in the van creating water vapour than when the van's empty, so long as you start with it reasonably dry. I bought a similar one a few years ago to keep the van screen clear overnight. Changed to using an external thermal cover, which operates for nothing.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Dont get me started again.....:mad:

14. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

It will be: as its trying to dehumidify Nottinghamshire,that is unless you have it sitting in a 100% air tight space, then it will reduce the water vapour content of the air, that is until you open the door when the water vapour pressure will immediately balance with the ambient.

• Like Like x 3
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Thank you ^^^^^^^^^

Someone else who understands the logic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. citroen sm

citroen sm Read Only Funster

For cold temps you need a desiccant dehumidifier. I have one in my cold house in the winter and it works brilliantly. Keeps everything dry and provides back ground heat.

When I open the door to go out everything doesn't become "immediately" damp again. Is it different in motor homes for some reason?

LG.

• Like Like x 1