Daytime Running Lights - Purchasing and Retro fitting

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wingman, Nov 27, 2015.

1. wingman

wingman Funster

Had a wander through Halfrauds at Lakeside today. (BTW, seeing as it was Black Friday, the store was deserted!)
    Came across some DRL's which were interesting. As I don't go in to the store much, I hadn't seen them before. Basically, there were varying packs containing two strips of self-adhesive contour-mouldable LED's with a few wires attached to a miniature box. Didn't look like there was much cable in terms of length.

I've always fancied having DLR's on the MH. Got integral ones on the car and they look the bizzo as well as being a safety feature etc etc.

Anybody seen these after-market lights? Bought them? Fitted them? Costs a packet to have them done professionally and the wings of my MH have to be removed!

My other question is; how do they affect the Canbus sytem? I remember my alarm engineer telling me that, "You can't just scotchlock and hack into wires like you used to y'know....it upsets the ol' zeros and ones of the canbus". (Whatever that means?)

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 3
  3. andy63

andy63 Funster

If they are similar to the aftermarket ones I fitted on a mk7 transit you will need an ignition or engine run supply... I chose engine run to prevent them switching on when on electric hookup which could happen if your vehicle battery gets charged when on hook up..
    Think most of the instructions cover that possibility if wiring to a mh.
    You will need a side light feed to the control box as well to dim them when you turn on the normal lighting...
    I avoided using a feed directly from the vehicle wiring and chose to use a relay activated by an engine run signal. The power to the relay been taken from the transit aux battery...
    Can't think of much else... hope it helps
    Ta Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

There shouldn't be a canbus issue if you take the power supply from say the cigar lighter feed, assuming it only works with the ignition/engine running.

The ones and zeros remark was a reference to the canbus being effectively a digital network which controls where power goes to, for example the indicator stalk sends a signal to a controller which turns on the indicator light. A light cluster thus might only have two wires going to it, one thick one carrying the power and a thin one carrying the digital signals. It can be done with just one wire if the signals are overlaid on the power supply as a pulse.

From memory the system was developed for aircraft as there was a significant weight saving to be gained by removing the need for looms with a gazillion wires. Military aircraft typically use fibre optic cable for the signal so they are impervious to the electromagnetic pulse of atomic bombs. :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

You take the feeds from where the instructions say. No faffing with cigarette lighter supplies. Takes no time at all and all under the bonnet.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. busby

busby Funster

I just put my headlights on,,,BUSBY,,,

• Like Like x 3
  7. themogs

themogs Funster

They certainly look the biz Techno !!
    Had mine 18 months ago from LEDSRUS whilst at the Malvern Show. They are really good looking at a penny under £50. Believe me, if I can fit them, then anyone can....a peace of p... !!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ledcom ones are very good not the cheapest, I had some on my last van. They wire straight into the fuse box by-passing the CANBUS and a relay connects to the side lights so they turn off when lights turned on.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Ledcom for me too. Absolute doddle to fit, instructions very clear and precise (just don't forget to read them PROPERLY:rolleyes:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jamwitt

Jamwitt Funster Life Member

I fitted led day runners from ledcom but when I fitted a dab radio caused all sorts of interference

11. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Hope they were cheap as chinese shops here sell them for a couple of euros here. (y)

12. wingman

wingman Funster

Thanks for the info all.
    @gus-lopez They ones I saw (strip LEDs) was £29.99 for the dearest pack.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

That's the ones. ,I'll try & remember to check tomorrow when I pop up there.

14. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Fitted these to my Burstner, a mate wired them in it was easy for him. They come on with ignition and automatically dim when you put side or main lights on. Each on is individual so you can put them to whatever shape you like or how many you want. Can't remember who I got them from now but we're about £70
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave Funster

Why not just switch on the sidelights?

Dave

16. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

You have to think/remember to do that. DRl's come on when key is turned & go off/dim when lights are turned on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

In my opinion to have them is to be seen or more chance of it anyway. Volvo have been doing it for years it's not a new thing. And I think all vehicles are now fitted with them as standard.

18. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

i really don't get day driving lights, pretty sure even in Britain that big ball of hydrogen in the sky gives off plenty of light, if not put side lights on, at least they have rear lights.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Not bright enough for DRL's.

20. Cyclists

Cyclists Funster

Don't look so cool

• Like Like x 1