Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We are new to Motorhome life and looking for ideas for days out that are motorhome friendly within a couple of hours from Bristol. Are there any books or guides detailing places to visit in MH.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Hi

Try google he comes up with some

Also consider
National trust (claim to be MoHo friendly )
Join in the rallies
Keep checking Motorhome Fun for ideas re local shows

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
All of the above. Plus we use britstops guide, gives locations where you can stay for one night. We use this a lot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi Daniel. Am I correct in saying that the stop overs are free, but you have to use their facilities (eg. Use their pubs or farm shops etc) ?
Kev

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
BritStop stopovers are free to use & there is no obligation to use any of the facilities provided by your hosts.

However, clearly the hosts hope that you will find that you do want to buy something that they sell, but they don't expect that everyone will spend something on every visit.

I suspect most people find that the pressure to buy something comes from themselves. I know I would feel a bit uncomfortable staying somewhere without contributing something, even if it was a token purchase in the shop or a pint in the pub.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
National Trust are great but not sure about taking the motorhome as most are tucked away down small lanes or through old villages so best to call the property to check best access route & parking or even if feasible:unsure: In our mad young days we once stopped on on our way to Cornwall at a NT house for lunch with our caravan in tow - we missed the overflow car park that we had been advised to park in then got stuck in the main full walled garden car park! Needless to say it was an embarassing & somewhat traumatic experience - so much so that we never took the caravan to a NT place again:eek:

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi Daniel. Am I correct in saying that the stop overs are free, but you have to use their facilities (eg. Use their pubs or farm shops etc) ?
Kev
The answer given by @TheCaller is 100% correct. There is no obligation to buy anything.

So far we have never felt pressured into purchasing anything from the hosts. We do actually select the places we visit because they are places we would like to purchase something from, a restaurant is high up on our list of required facilities.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I am visiting the motorhome tonight (which is where my book is) I can give you a couple of recommendations. They will be to the South of you though :).

Upvote 0

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
We are new to Motorhome life and looking for ideas for days out that are motorhome friendly within a couple of hours from Bristol. Are there any books or guides detailing places to visit in MH.
Will be in Bristol Redland Rd this Friday if you'd like to meet for coffee give us shout

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As promised, looking at your location in comparison to britstops we have been to, the closest would be 153. We stayed here and had a lovely weekend. Right on the Thames, we walked the dog for miles and had a superb meal in the restaurant. This stop is very dog friendly, should that be important. The only point to note, taking the van into the car park was a little hairy, a lot of low trees with big branches.
Very picturesque and peaceful location, and by my reckoning, about 2 hours drive for you.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back