Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
we are currently South East of London ( near Dartford ) in our 30ft MH and We are looking to go into London for a day trip so what is my best option , as in where to park the MH for the day so we can travel into the centre for the Day.
A friend suggested parking in the Millennium Dome and then getting the Tube ( Does the tube travel there ?? ) and can i park a MH there for the day , and is it safe ?
Or what other options do i have ?
Edit : just remembered about the emission Zones , so i could well be best parking the MH for the day Outside the Emission Zone , then travel in via Train , where would be a good place to travel in from ?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Sorry Bart.... I don't get out enough to offer any ideas. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Bart sorry I cant help with parking on that side of London but if you do stay at the dome I believe you can get the Thames clipper as another option into central London. The clipper is a good way to get about it stops regularly like the train and is not expensive. Enjoy your trip...

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This is probably too small to read but you can get many underground maps on line.....
upload_2017-4-16_20-9-42.png

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Bart I'm taking my van in to London in a few weeks time and will be using the Dartford crossing, but I'll be heading a bit further west and staying for a few nights at Crystal Palace C&MH site.
Unfortunately it will be too late for you, but for future reference, I will have a look to see if they have a late arrivals area that they would be happy for the occasional user to utilise during the day.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
I would agree if you're already parked up at Dartford take a train from there into London Charing Cross. Think it takes about 35minutes. The London Low Emmission Zone starts a few miles in from Dartford so if it's going to be a problem forget coming in any closer.
If you're on the move the C&CClub have a site at Horsley nr Guildford, which is a 5 minute walk from the station takes about 45 minutes from there.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Bart, I suggest that you type London Parking into the search facility. This will bring up threads and postings which have been made by other Funsters. If you are driving into London beware of the Low Emission Zone. If your vehicle is not compliant there is a hefty fine to pay. £100 per day I believe.
I would suggest that you book into the Abbey Wood or Crystal Palace camp sites and to tarvel in by public transport.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If your LEZ compliant you take A2into London come off at falconwood junction at end turn right road goes to left , up to traffic lights and turn right park down there for the day walk back to where the road beared left and it's falconwood station

Joe

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If your LEZ compliant you take A2into London come off at falconwood junction at end turn right road goes to left , up to traffic lights and turn right park down there for the day walk back to where the road beared left and it's falconwood station

Joe

Many Thanks Joe for the Info , I have just used the following site to see if my vehicle is LEZ compliant and according to it my 2007 Fiat 130 Multijet is compliant ( which i thought was strange due to its age ?? )
Just click on the link then click on "Check by plate ( VRM )" then i scrolled down a bit and i entered my reg details , which gave me back the following message.
White FIAT DUCATO 35 130 M-JET LWB
No charge due for this vehicle
This vehicle either meets the required emission standards, is exempt from the scheme or is subject to a 100% discount.

Am i correct in assuming that my MH can drive in London without me having to do anything and not face any fines ?

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It is a real pain trying to park a car and coming in by tube or overground from any where inside the M25 cars are bad, a MH would be impossible.. Find somewhere right out and get a day return on the train. I do not drive there at all now I take the national express from home. My friend took his PVC to a site at crystal palace and they charged £60 for two nights, he caught the train in to the Ideal home exhibition.
I*f you do think you are going in to the LEZ you MUST check on the website to make sure it is compliant. £500 fine if under 3500 kg and £1000 over that figure.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Depends how far out you are willing to travel from.

As an example, Canterbury park and ride is really good value and less than an hour into London.

There must be other places a short rail trip away.

Good luck:)
IMG_3425.PNG
IMG_3426.PNG

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Looks like your van is compliant.
Why don't you drive in and park in my street lots of space on a B/ H weekend . There's a big square where you can park up and sleep if needed . 15 minute walk to Covent Garden 10 minute walk to the Tate and river.
It may be a tad late but every weekends the same , free parking from Friday 18:30 until Monday 08:30 . I could get a visitors daily parking permit for other times if required.
Enjoy .

Reactions: JJ

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Have you not seen the fares from Canterbury to London ?

I live in Dover 12 miles from there and the train is £62

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
we have a small campsite in our village on the thurrock side of the river.west horndon train station 3 miles away will take you straight into london.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Its no use to u now but book trains in advance.
I could not believe it cost just £12 return from Worcester to London in 2 months time.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
It's a bit late now, but don't confuse the LEZ with the Congestion Charge :eek:; they are two separate things!

Your van is compliant with the LEZ, BUT, if you drive into Central London, the Congestion Charge Zone operates 07.00-18.00 Monday to Friday. There is no charge on weekends, public holidays, between Christmas Day and New Year's Day inclusive, or between 18:00 and 07:00 on weekdays. The charge is £11.50 per day for a car.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If your vehicle is not compliant there is a hefty fine to pay. £100 per day I believe.
I would suggest that you book into the Abbey Wood or Crystal Palace camp sites and to tarvel in by public transport.
No the £100/day is the charge fore under 3500kgs who aren't exempt but need access. £200/day over 3500kgs
Many Thanks Joe for the Info , I have just used the following site to see if my vehicle is LEZ compliant and according to it my 2007 Fiat 130 Multijet is compliant ( which i thought was strange due to its age ?? )
Just click on the link then click on "Check by plate ( VRM )" then i scrolled down a bit and i entered my reg details , which gave me back the following message.

Am i correct in assuming that my MH can drive in London without me having to do anything and not face any fines ?
Yes but as @wingman said ,not inside the congestion zone without paying

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
If you were north of the river I'd suggest you might consider something like airport parking.
At our local airport, London Southend, there are lots of parking options at reasonable daily prices and a train station with a fast service into London Liverpool Street.
Perhaps there are similar facilities south of the river?

Would you not "risk" urban street parking?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back