scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

I don't have one so cannot say how good it is .. however

Reading the specs it's a basic web surfer with no other software so it can't be compared to a proper lappy or netbook nor can you make calls like an iPhone

It is GPRS enabled but doesn't say if it can use 3G .. I suspect not so it won't be as fast as a 3G device

They describe the speed as Blazingly fast : 5 to 7 seconds per page, sounds slow to me, but ok for email and if your not into heavy browsing

It's reasonable cheap and free to use for 12 months

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1559
The PocketSurfer 2 doesn¹t need you to take out a contract, you can use it out-of-the-box for 12 months without paying a penny .

After 12 Months you can pay £5.99 per month or £59.99 for unlimited usage for the lifetime of the product.

Not for me personally but it will appeal to those who don't want to splash out on either an iPod touch or netbook.. You pays your money ...

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Haven't ever had my hands on one but...
This thing is basically a small netbook with the GSM mobile phone card built in.
This means that you have to use their service (mostly Vodafone).
It is a 2G device so it has quite slow performance similar to a dial-up 56k modem at home.
If you are thinking of using it abroad, be aware that you get just 10 hours for £30 which, if you surf the net at the notional 1 page per minute works out at 5p per page!
On the up-side, because it is a 2G rather than 3G device, you will get coverage where some of the wizzy new stuff won't.
Patrick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

richardhomas

Deleted User
In a word USELESS - I'm sending mine back - now have Samsung NC10

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
DATAWIND POCKETSURFER 2 R

Anyone got one of these ?
How do they compare with either a laptop or a netbook ?:Smile:

Toy ! Horrible keyboard. Tiny display. Might not work abroad.

Last week I bought one of these from Maplin
Link Removed

Returned it next day. It was faulty but it was too slow and had very limited facilities. It was beautifully made, a joy to finger, top class display. It's certainly a thousand times better than the Datawind. Runs WindowsCE like mobile phones use.

Now I have bought a Toshiba NB100 off ebay - you'll have to pay about £150 but it's a full blown Windows XP machine with big hard drive and really top quality build. So I have full internet capability plus loads of back-up stored for photographs. The now discontinued NB100 has the 8.9" screen so it's really small but the keyboard is well up to typing. Display is just about OK at 1024 x 600 ( compared to the ridiculous 320x240 if the toy you fancy ) for web browsing. One of the sharpest displays I've seen.

OP
OP
dellwood33

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Thanks all - you have confirmed my fears, it is Kwap and that's why there are so many about. ::bigsmile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
A Brit showed me one in France and said try it for the afternoon, only tried emails(I think that is all it could Do, but not sure) Well Jim was correct soooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooow just waiting to download 1 email.

Lucky for the person that had purchased the pocket surfer she had only paid £50 on ebay with nearly 1 years free membership/download.........so I would say the original purchaser had tried the pocket surfer for a few days or weeks then put it on ebay Mmmmmmm plus I found it hard to read (in sunlight)
Sorry but I hope this helps and it is just my experience of it :Doh:

Mel

gunerdoo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
ROMAHOME
PocketSurfer

Dont even think about it Just pretend it was a Very Bad Dream :Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Last week I bought one of these from Maplin
Link Removed

Returned it next day. It was faulty but it was too slow and had very limited facilities. It was beautifully made, a joy to finger, top class display. It's certainly a thousand times better than the Datawind. Runs WindowsCE like mobile phones use.

I remembered later another nail in it's coffin...... The way the USB ports are implemented you cannot plug in a broadband dongle so it's WiFi/LAN or nowt for internet access.

What a pity, it had the potential for being a wonderful pocket computer.

JONO58

Free Member
Aug 28, 2007
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low pro.
Exp
7 years
Ubi surfer

I bought the ubi surfer, which is the upgraded pocket surfer.Got it from ideal world...Tryed it for a week. 1 slow..2 text very small.. 3 awkward to navigate. On the plus side,it is well built,has a full qwerty key board,and a 7"screen. I thought it would be ideal for us motor homers on the move. I have sent it back for a refund. If it was a lot faster it would be a great tool,but waiting ages to send an email and surfing gets frustrating, shame.:cry:

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
I remembered later another nail in it's coffin...... The way the USB ports are implemented you cannot plug in a broadband dongle so it's WiFi/LAN or nowt for internet access. What a pity, it had the potential for being a wonderful pocket computer.
That is the whole concept, Brian.
Produce a machine with the SIM card built in and no way to change for any other. That way your customer is locked in to using only your service.
Neat eh?:Angry:
Patrick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back