LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi, popping over the border into Portugal in a few weeks, our stay is expected to be about a month.
We need a DATA SIM to put into the open mifi, whats the latest on this type of sim without contract.

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I hope there are other Data providers in Portugal, some appear to have made some name changes over the years,
it would be good to do my research before I commit myself to Vodafone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just received this competitive offer. The MEO wifi looks good when in range, Ultra and Ultra plus for 1 month are possibilities.
So 4G plus unlimited wifi for the price below.

Good or Bad anyone tried these offers.???

MEO finally has lowered the rates of its monthly data packs and opened it to 4G in 2014:

• LIGHT: 200 MB (+ 200 MB MEO wifi) : 5.49 €
  • SUPER: 500 MB (+ 200 MB MEO wifi): 7.49 €
  • SUPER PLUS: 1 GB (+ unlimited MEO wifi): 12.49 €
  • ULTRA: 5 GB per month (+ unlimited MEO wifi): 19.99 €
  • ULTRA PLUS: 15 GB per month (+ unlimited MEO wifi): 29.99 €
Subscribe by texting the name of package to 12029. To the 200 MB and 500 MB packs another 200 MB can be added for 3 €. This or 1 GB for 5 € can be added to the packs SUPER PLUS, ULTRA and ULTRA PLUS texting EXTRA 200 MB or EXTRA 1 GB. MEO has around 300,000 wifi hotspots in the the country: Broken Link Removed

More info

• APN: internet

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Any number of SIM cards available on arrival in Portugal. In the past we have purchased SIM at one of the Phone House outlets which from memory was €20 for 3Gb (rechargeable) and went straight into my tablet and SWMBO was able to tether to it. JJ and others resident in Portugal are the ones to ask...... try a PM.

Bryan

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am afraid that I am pretty useless on this subject of PAYG data sim cards.

The reason is I don't use them. I use a monthly, roll over contract for which you need an address and a fiscal number.

I am aware, from talking to other motorhomers, that there are many different options on offer from each of the different suppliers with deals either based on time or on usage. These seem to change all the time.

To be honest, trying to work out which of these deals are best for which situation makes my head hurt!

If you need one, I suggest you visit a phone shop on arrival. If you are coming into Portugal by the south there is a big shopping centre just off the 125 in Tavira which has several different mobile phone shops so you can go from one to the other and compare deals.

A lot of motorhomers, who only use the internet for emailing and the occasional surfing, seem to use free wifi hotspots, the locations of which they get from the other people. For example here in Silves there are hotspots near the public swimming pool, Ranch Burger and the nice, nearby cafe/restaurant. People position their vans so as to be in range (freeloaders!) of a signal.

I believe most of the campsites have wifi...

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumar

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks JJ and thanks everybody, got it all worked out now from your advice given.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back