Data sim card for use in France which one !

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by mowbotman, Jun 22, 2013.

1. mowbotman

mowbotman Funster

I am going to France in a few weeks and use my ipad to searc and stuff ( motorhome fun also !) can anyone recommend a sim cardfor this type of use:thumb:

2. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

Prepaid GSM has the latest offers - it depends how much data you will require, and they do change. You will need to take in proof of ID such as a Passport and give your Campsite address :Smile:

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  3. autoswan

autoswan Funster

4. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

Just a thought:

You can buy a fon unit and plug in at home .... then you can use the SFR WiFi sites in France for free!

The fon unit is only £34 and gives you access to many Hotspots around the world for free once you have yours activated at home .... works for BT WiFi in the UK too! See here for the SFR web pages on this.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Not quite got the handle on this, does it work if you are a BT broadband customer ?

6. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

If you are a BT Broadband customer and have BT WiFi access then you can access SFR and many other overseas WiFi networks - details here. :BigGrin:

Cheers

PS Not sure if this chargeable with BT WiFi, have only tried it with FON, would be interested in knowing the answer if anybody has really tried it out on SFR with a BT WiFi subscription!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

If you are not a BT customer you can buy a Fon box for about £30 that will give you access all over Europe with no further charges.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

been bt boardband customer for years but never been able to lock on wifi in france. Has anyone actually use this system to lock on and if you do , can you please post how ?? I am currently in France using Mac wifi
    Many thanks

9. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    At the moment Orange have a data sim for €8 and a data charge system called 'let's go' with various rates. I have 2Gb valid for 1 month at €20, I use it in an unlocked dongle but the sim card is dual micro or standard and I think that makes it suitable for tablets etc.

The only drawback is that recharging can only be done in the shop and then activated by phone but I usually get the staff to do it for me. No ID necessary and UK credit cards accepted or (presumably) cash.

10. lindylou

lindylou Funster

I've been using SFR for the past 2 months in France bought the sim with 2gig for 30 euros. Topped up 30 euros and still using it. I use the Internet a fair bit too.

Lin

11. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

You don't have to be a BT customer to buy and then access the fon network, all info and buy one here http://corp.fon.com/#what-is-fon
    coverage fon
    http://maps.fon.com/

coverage BT, etc etc
    http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/map_search.php?cLat=50.1&cLon=14.4&z=4

I`m using one now a choice of 16 hotspots fon and BT works on both (Stratford show):Smile:

cheers

12. Porscha

Porscha Read Only Funster

Hi,

Did you have any trouble using the unlocked dongle? I bought an unlocked Huwai MiFi and cannot for the life of me get it to work on a Giff Gaff data SIM. I know you need to input the settings for GG but I have tried and failed. Off to France on Thurs so might have to buy a MiFi and SIM when I get there Any other ideas for quick cheap internet in France before I go??

Cheers,
    :thumb:

13. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

14. JJ

JJ Funster

I am yet to find CHEAP mobile data solutions for France. (Other than logging onto my Princess's wifi or her mobile network!)

JJ :Cool:

15. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    The unlocked Huwai dongle came with a europasim which is basically vodafone Italy and I had to put the settings(VPN ?) for that in when I first used it and worked OK.

I then bought the Orange France sim and found out the setting for that network, possibly orange.fr, I forget. Sim worked OK and I recharged in the Orange shop without a problem.

Can't help with the Giff Gaff mainly because I have never heard of it but I would imagine the network settings are the problem.