data roaming sim EUROPE

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bernardfeay, Jan 7, 2014.

1. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I've just been browsing web sites looking for the best deal on sim only data roaming. Then it dawned on me that you guys will already know the answer.

I don't need it for phone calls or texts, just the data roaming stuff, and even then it is only to check emails and minor browsing.

Thanks in advance, it is so reassuring to know that this site is the font of all wisdom.

2. Phill D

Phill D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I use a data only SIM from www.Globalgig.com

A little bit pricey at £40 a month unless you have a yearly contract.
    Saves me searching when I get to a different country for a specific SIM card.
    you can pay more for a higher data allowance but works for me.
    Lots of wi fi about so use that when I can but when it's not available I use the data.

• Like Like x 1
  4. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Europa sim, €3 a day, (only on the days you actually use it) unlimited data, first 500mb at high speed, then continues at slow speed, but even slow speed is ok for mails and surfing

Works all over Europe.

£30 + up front for the sim with €5 credit, and a also small charge when you top up.

....it does what it says on the tin.....

• Like Like x 5
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Orange is currently cheapest, £1/day but not a lot of data allowed. Enough for emails but not much else. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-data-roaming

Orange's coverage is pretty good, especially France of course. Not sure about others, except I had a lot of problems with O2 in France last year.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. bernardfeay

Thanks Devon Beekeper. I spotted that but it is for orange pay monthly customers.

7. lou020

lou020 Funster

Joe mobile..brilliant for France only. free sim and 20euros per month for 3 gb, by direct debit which you can stop and start anytime on the internet via its own website.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

9. zulurita

zulurita Funster

That sounds interesting. Will it work in a mobile WiFi thingy? I did get an unlocked one.

10. zulurita

zulurita Funster

I did buy an Orange mobile broadband WiFi thing and has worked well but can't seem to top up online. So I have to go to an Orange shop and also get them to activate it for me as you need a fixed line and can't activate it via my UK mobile.

The other thing I do is buy a "Lets Go" top up in a "Presse" shop and then go to the tourist office and ask them to phone as its a Free number.

But by the time I get to France this year my number may have been inactivated as it will be more than six months. Will try though in May at an Orange shop.

I usually buy a months top up at a time but it would be nice to be able to do it online. I did register online but still can't do it.

In Germany I bought a Vodafone Dongle "Web Sessions" That works well but would have preferred a WiFi thing but couldn't find one. However I have no problems doing a top up online.

11. chaser

chaser Funster

http://m.mobi-data.co.uk
    This has got to be worth a look , I asked about it on here last week, but no one seems to know anything about it, neither do I ,I'm afraid but it looks cheap to me if it works:thumb:
    You have to click on terms and conditions to see more about it

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The problem with mobi-data is they have a website which looks as if it was put together by an 11 year old in their bedroom. It may well be pucker but the front page is very unclear and contradictory.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

It is for PAYG customers also. If you'd like to compare all UK providers and their roaming costs, see here: http://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/update-to-european-roaming-charges-august-2013/

Mobi-data is 15p per Mb (same as Toggle) so nothing special in that regard. GlobalGig is a contract: http://uk.globalgig.com/pricing-overview.aspx

Ultimately a local SIM will always work out cheaper if you can obtain one and understand how to use it.

Hope that helps.

Adam
    www.motorhomewifi.com

• Like Like x 1
  14. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

EuropaSim every time - have used it UK, France Germany, Portugal and Spain. for 3 euros / 2.65 pounds you got 500mb and then limited www access, which is fast enough for web pages, emails and basic downloading ( slow but works )

No need to change settings or worry about getting signals as it locks onto Vodafone and failing that any other network. 3G speed is very fast.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Quote: Mobi-data is 15p per Mb (same as Toggle) so nothing special in that regard. GlobalGig is a contract: http://uk.globalgig.com/pricing-overview.aspx

Mobi-data is 0.15p per Mb x 500mb = 7.5 pounds a day - EuropaSim is 3 euros 2.28 pounds a day.............. and after that still access data for nothing.......

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Ignore this - I made a duplicate post somehow.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  17. bernardfeay

thanks, I picked the Europa sim, Just waiting for it to arrive now.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i got a europasim today does this thing have to be registered or is it just put it in the mifi and off u go ?

19. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

I just put it in the Mifi and it appears to work as picked up Vodaphone UK. We haven't used it as yet and when I went on line before leaving home to top it up the website was temporarily closed.

Kath

20. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I recently used my Europa Sim in my TP Link both from Motorhome wi fi , in Spain.
    Site wi fi often poor but with sim always able to access net:thumb: