LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am helping a friend with her laptop. It fals to boot and recevery not possible, so I have taken out the hard drive and I am able to connect to it and see the folders. The problem is the permissions required to access the folders, any suggestions?

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
Can you go into administrator mode on the PC you are using? If so, that should enable you to read the files on the connected drive.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If all else fails, use a bootable linux recovery disk. Linux totally ignores Windows security settings and can copy the files to another USB connected drive. Once you have done this they will be readable by any windows system.

There is over 20 different linux distributions aimed at recovering windows systems/files etc. Including rebuilding boot sectors, MBR's, admin password recovery plus much more. It is worth getting used to them if you do a bit of Windows support for others.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: the drive you copy the data to should be FAT32 as NTFS filesystem will retain the permissions/ownerships etc.

I just looked for a quick walk through for you. At the risk of teach granny to suck eggs again.......

Puppy linux is tiny and is the swiss knife of linux disk utils. It has a gui so doesn't require you to learn "linux".

https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

The second page of this tutorial covers copying files from NTFS disks to an external USB drive.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back