Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile: Anyone seen these small battery chargers that plug in the cigarette lighter and keeps the batteries charged all the time ?
kennygd

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Not a lot of use

:Smile: Anyone seen these small battery chargers that plug in the cigarette lighter and keeps the batteries charged all the time ?
kennygd

Yes I for my sins have one. Not a lot of use, may be it is because I have a window screen cover on!:ROFLMAO: - seriously they do not put enough juice into the system. It is a bit like the ones you see on mobility scooters, a waste of time as they do not put enough in to make a differance. You need a big solar panel to have any effect and I am sure you can find many articles about this in the past MMM issues or on this site. But my view is save your money.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Depends on the size.. the very small ones are a waste of time..

however, a decent size one should keep a fully charged battery healthy and help offset the parasitic loads of the vehicle alarm, radio memory etc.

point to note , and it might be obvious , but the ciggy lighter has to be 'live' with the ignition off .. otherwise you need to use flying leads with croc clips onto the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I've got two of these small solar chargers, a 2.4watt which is small enough to take with me when away from home and I use it if not going off site for 2 or 3 days, and a 4.8 watt one which I leave on the dashboard at home. Without it my engine battery will die in around 10 days but with it the battery stays fully charged and starts engine after anything up to 4 weeks.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dont know if am just lucky but I have one on the RV to keep the engine battery up and that sits for months somtimes. Never had a problem starting it yet.
Bought2 for 20 Euros and use one for the engine and one wired to a fan on the fridge,to help keep fridge cool without taking juice from the leasure batterys.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
does that work ok Dave ?

it may be low output due to its size but the voltage is still unregulated.
Works fine John,it only works when the sun is shining which is when you want a bit of help with the fridge,got the idea from the one that was fitted on the roof vent from new,that only works when its hot too.Just goes a bit slower when the sun goes in.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
They work quite well but the cigarette lighter must be live or use the croc clips direct to battery. Peter[/QUOTE said:
How do you know if the cigarette lighter is live when the engine is off to charge this way rather than with the croc clips??

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How do you know if the cigarette lighter is live when the engine is off to charge this way rather than with the croc clips??
stick the fag lighter in with the ignition off...if it gets hot its live :thumb:

failing a fag lighter try a mobile phone 'in car' charger or a sat nav

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back