Dash Cams

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Stacetop, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Stacetop

Stacetop Funster

Hi I'm thinking of getting a dash cam for our van.

Can anyone recommend a really good cheap one? Unfortunately I probably don't have enough time to wait on a China or Hong Kong import as we travel in just over 3 weeks. There are some on eBay in the uk but it's hard to tell what the difference is. It would be good to have one record scenery as well as accident back up. I'm happy to swap memory cards for this function.

Any ideas please

Thanks

2. Viennese

Viennese Funster

3. motorhome42

motorhome42 Funster

We bought a Navman from Halfords. Works well and can be used independently to take still photos and/or videos. If involved in an accident the camera keeps the "evidence" for later use.

4. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Try Maplins - we paid £60 but if it goes wrong we don't have to send it back to China

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

6. mentaliss

mentaliss

my dash camera hard wired,:Cool: controlled via ignition on/off in line fuse

Attached Files:

7. wingman

wingman Funster

I have a combined interior rear view mirror and cam'. It's brilliant! It just clips over the existing mirror and is almost undetectable from the outside.

I didn't want one stuck on the windscreen with a suction cup, one that wobbled about on a dash mount, or one that could be seen. Didn't want the agg' of having to remove it each time I left the vehicle.

Unlike some of the mirror-cams (where the camera is fixed and designed for LHD vehicles) on my model, the tiny camera is rotatable 360deg, so you don't get the view partially blocked by the existing vehicle mirror assembly.

I can swap it between car and MoHo if needs-be. Just plugs into the cigar lighter socket with adequate cable to reach around the windscreen and dash.

Shame you can't wait; I bought this one via Amazon, but had to wait 10 working days. Cost me £47 but without a card. I bought a micro SD card locally. Gives me 5 hours of video.

Didn't realise it until the other day when I was reviewing the files, but have footage of Sian welcoming me to the recent Detling Show and Jim marshalling me to the pitch!

8. DMS

DMS Trader Life Member

Hi All
    Aviva the UK's largest insurer have a list of insurance approved devices.
    The cheapest Device on the market is the roadhawk DC-1 which are on sale directly from Roadhawk by telephone for £125.00 + vat. If you require a hardwire Kit they are an Additional £10.00 + Vat. On top of this, you must provide proof of fitting from an auto electrician. (we did our own).
    They charge £40 fitting but shop about. or contact me.
    As for the device its self. I have over 20 of these fitted to my fleet and they are superb. ive viewed playback on them and the quality is excellent, scrap these cheap £50 jobs if your gonna do it do it properly. And no I dont sell them before anyone asks :Laughing:.
    Regards
    Alan

Try Viewing there Website...http://www.roadhawk.co.uk

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

£125.00 + vat = £150

ordering on on the Roadhawk site they are £179.95

do you get them cheaper by calling ?

10. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

11. Jim et Lou

Jim et Lou Read Only Funster

12. quickweh

quickweh Funster

Bought the one from Amazon, same as Old Mo and Mr Motorhome. It works relly well and plays back well on a PC, especilly the link to google maps. This is all played back from the micro SD card. However, if the files are saved to the PC the files are in .avi format without any GPS data. Does anyone know how to save the GPS data from the SD card?

13. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

14. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Yes we did too, very pleased with it, not sure if John /Jaws has any left over as he had ordered a few for folk...
    It does what it says on the box, easy to use !
    Kath

15. TerryL

TerryL Funster

I've still got the extra one I ordered accidentally - will have it with me at Malvern (unless it goes before). £30 plus you'll need a micro SD card - less than a tenner from Ebay, Amazon etc (get a Class 10, 16 or 32gb)

16. MikeD

MikeD Funster

We bought ours from Road Pro - great camera for £85

But SD they supply is not big enough so budget for a 32GB one.

Great HD quality playback. (y)

17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The only way I've found is just to copy the camera file as it is. You can then only play it back with the supplied custom software though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. quickweh

quickweh Funster

Should have thought of that!! Do you just copy and paste to a suitable folder?.

19. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Bought one from Ebay from a company in Manchester a while back. I think I paid £12.99 including free postage. Am away at present so cannot give any further info on who I bought it from, but there are others selling the same model for £14.99. It comes with a suction mount for the windscreen

When it arrived it was defective. Got in touch with the supplier who said "send it back and I will send you another one and refund the postage. Fair play to him he was true to his word and did so. New one arrived and works well.

A word of warning. If like me you have a concertina blind on the windscreen you will find that anything that sticks to the windsceen is a pain - you have to take it off every evening. However I solved it by putting one of these sticky pads you can buy on the dashboard and the camera sticks to that well. My Fiat based dash has a good place just behind the clip for the noteholder.

20. Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

l have Roadhawk and Aviva said they do not recognise it have you got any proof they do?. And how do you mean professionaly fitted they are removeable l swap between car and CB and wouldnt leave it up when parked so that negates fitting anyhow.
    EDIT
    Sorry re read hardwire...does it still count if not hardwire as still wouldnt leave it up