Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
After a couple of incidents, we are thinking of a dash cam, but am bewildered by the selection, are the cheap Chinese ones any good, or is it best to pay more, also, is it worth having the GPS option, or does it not matter?
Sorry for prolonging this thread, trouble with me is, give me a choice of two things and I'm confused !!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
After a couple of incidents, we are thinking of a dash cam, but am bewildered by the selection, are the cheap Chinese ones any good, or is it best to pay more, also, is it worth having the GPS option, or does it not matter?
Sorry for prolonging this thread, trouble with me is, give me a choice of two things and I'm confused !!

There are many threads where people have expressed their satisfaction or not with cameras they have bought. As with everything, some people will say you get what you pay for. For my part the camera I bought (selling for about £45 now) produces good footage and the GPS software works well so I am satisfied with it.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
There are many threads where people have expressed their satisfaction or not with cameras they have bought. As with everything, some people will say you get what you pay for. For my part the camera I bought (selling for about £45 now) produces good footage and the GPS software works well so I am satisfied with it.

What camera did you buy in the end please?

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I will buy a dash cam in the near future, but I have just spent loadsabucks today, buying silver screens for the M/H, and having the Suzuki resprayed, looks gorgeous (IMO), anyone needing bike or vehicle paintwork done, PM me for info, highly recommended. :thumb:

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
(HD 720P Dual Lens Dashboard Car vehicle Camera Video Recorder DVR CAM G-sensor),
Got it from Ebay, Did not like it, the lens was very small, the instructions were a very bad translation & we found it extremely difficult to try to programme, even divicult to get it in to English.
We sent it back.
82220 ( France)
Dash it all, just got one of these and can't get the menu to appear that is in the instructions, so I am in the same boat as you were only I have "mislaid" my instruction booklet so can't send it back. After downloading the instructions I am none the wiser, a google search has not been productive to get round the problem, more money down the pan I'm afraid:Eeek:.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I also have settled for the mini 0801 cam, very small , now tucked up just under the rearview mirror, very satisfied with footage as well, but have not reviewed the night vision footage yet, I was going to swap between the car and the M/H, but have now decided to have another one for the M/H due to the wiring route,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I also have settled for the mini 0801 cam, very small , now tucked up just under the rearview mirror, very satisfied with footage as well, but have not reviewed the night vision footage yet, I was going to swap between the car and the M/H, but have now decided to have another one for the M/H due to the wiring route,

You will be pleased with the night vision as well. I just received my second unit this morning and now run one in MH and the other in Car. The MH one runs 247 /365 ( as we are on Mains ) so I can see who comes in and out of our shared garage. Wait until you get a nice bit of footage like a thunder storm or RTC and play it back o the PC.

Enjoy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I sorted out my dash mount the other day and tested it out today and it works.

As posted earlier, the camera I have is held in a clip attached to a suction mount (eBay item number: 261159649707 so it can be installed the right way up whether the clip is dash mounted or screen mounted.

I already had a bean bag mount bought from Maplins for about a tenner a while ago so bough a couple of Camera Flash Hot Shoe Mounts with 1/4" Tripod Screw (eBay item number: 370960293103), one of which I stuck to the bean bag with enough Sikaflex EBT so that the camera clip would screw onto it such that the camera edges rest on the bean bag shoulders. The GPS receiver plugs into the camera unit as usual and just rests against the bean bag shoulder so that it can receive a signal.

The whole sits on the dash against the windscreen, clear of the airbags (photo).

I tried it out today on a journey to Derbyshire and back via A19/A1/M1/A628 and it worked fine with no noticeable vibration.

In the photo the shorter cable leads to the GPS receiver (hidden by the mount and the longer cable is the power one, led toward the passenger side of the console and held in place by the glove box lid so it doesn't interfere with the gear stick or handbrake.

Attachments

• dashcam.jpg
    dashcam.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 41
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have similar set up but use one of these :thumb:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 23

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
These little Eprance units : Link Removed
are really, really good : full HD, very clear, take up to 32GB card, and are supplied directly via Amazon, so delivered quickly. The playback software is very nifty, too - it is a split screen whch has Google earth on one side showing your vehicle tracking on its route while the actual video plays alongside. The unit has a built in GPS.

I have one in each car and MH. Highly recommended -cost 59.99 on Amazon plus around £14 for a high speed good quality memory card.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's a similar software set-up to the one I have. It was also delivered very quickly.

As explained in previous posts, I use the camera dash mounted, rather than screen mounted, so the camera itself is upside down compared to screen mounting. My camera allows that but some don't. Anyway, it all works now so :thumb::Smile:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Mentioned it above. Currently on sale as eBay item number: 261159649707.

Ordered due to your recommendation Graham :thumb: should have been here by now, as to how I will mount it then not sure yet :thumb:

Now there may already be an item out there like what I describe below but I have not seen it.

Imagine if you were able to attach another camera that could be attached to your left (or right) quarter window. You could then switch it on when you come to a blind spot at a junction, this would enable you to see oncoming traffic. Once you have negotiated the junction turn it back to front view camera.

Thinking about it you could say the same attachment for a reversing camera :thumb:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hope it works well for you Steve. I expect any delay is down to Christmas rush.

In the van we mount it in a similar fashion to the sat nav mount shown in the attached photo, about where the "G" in Length is.

Attachments

• DCP_0024s.jpg
    DCP_0024s.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 29

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
These two clips give an indication why having a Dash camera might be a good idea.

If there had been a coming together between any vehicle the clips would have given a reasonably good indication who may be to blame for any accident and help sort out insurance claims.

To play the clips at the best picture quality click on the 'cog' at the bottom right of the video and select 1080pHD.

[ame]http://youtu.be/k83LBRXwcAE[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/pzSZU6N4fio[/ame]

:france::france::france:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We see lane changing like that second clip nearly every time we go to Teesside Park at busy times. There are three lanes at the entry, all clearly signed for which part of the shopping park they serve, but still people use the wrong lane and switch late (though the better ones do signal sometimes after they start switching).

OP
OP
T
Jan 16, 2013
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2009
I wish I had waited for cancondor's post as that cam seems good value with GPS. I now have the one I mentioned in earlier posts, I am trying to workout how it stores the files as they are not in sequence despite having the right times. Picture quality is Ok but you can only set it for 3 or 5 or 10 min or continuous file sizes. I would like 20 or 30 min for longer journeys.

Cheers

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
An audible warning of approach?

I did notice that the horn was used as an admonishment instead of a warning!

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have one called a 'Blackvue' strange name, but works very well has all the extras HD speed sat nav sound and is wifi so you can see what it is seeing using a tablet/phone got an extra wire kit so it can be in the van or the car, not cheap but does what it says on the box. But may be an idea to find the thread I posted 6 weeks ago about things in/on the windscreen.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back