Dash cams

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Twizzlefrillypants, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Twizzlefrillypants

Twizzlefrillypants Funster

Hi. Has anyone any experiences or recommendations for a dash cam. There are dash cams ranging from £30 to £300 on the market. Are the cheaper Versions any good?.Road pro have an offer on at £75, has any one reviewed this one?.
    Cheers

2. Mel

Mel Funster

If the Roadpro is £75:00 thats the way to go.
    Do you have a link to where that is for sale.

I have a cheap one its OK i paid €16:95 + I had to buy SD card it does its job but no g force sensor.

Mel

3. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Dash camera

I found one of these to be OK, apart from a slightly flimsy mount http://www.vcam.eu
    I also received very good service with queries.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mel

Mel Funster

I think i was a bit slow

Thinking of Roadhawk not Roadpro

Mel

5. Twizzlefrillypants

Twizzlefrillypants Funster

Thanks all for your prompt responses. The Vcam hd for £30 looks too good to be true. can you read numberplates on it from a reasonable distance. eg the car in front at traffic lights or on a slow mooving road?

cheers

6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Got mine from eBay .. It was about £20 or so .. Been working perfectly for the past 2 years..

7. bailey

bailey

If you want the best the way to go is it a GO PRO or the Drift Ghost both Hd I use the drift for the bike as well as the car and is remote control the picture quality is fantastic it's also waterproof to 3m the Go Pro is used by all tv stations for outside action films

Bill

• Like Like x 2
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I bought a camera [ame="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261159649707&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123"]like this one[/ame] earlier this year. It is fine for the van because it can be mounted on a plastic sheet clipped into the dash clipboard, together with the sat nav. Mounted like that it is well out of the way of the windscreen.

I've tried it in the car on a bean bag type mount but it is fairly bulky and obtrusive so I am looking for one which will sit flat on the top of the dash but can be removed when not in use. I don't want something mounted on the windscreen with a requirement to route a lead round the windscreen to the power socket (always assuming that the lead is long enough in the first place).

Any tips?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Geordies

Geordies Funster

I bought this one from Ebay for the car, great picture and sits between rear view mirror and windscreen. Cable loads long enough to go to ciggy socket. It has been on the windscreen for 4 months no bother, it can hardly be seen from outside.

[​IMG]

It does not have GPS, reason being, what if your just slightly over the speed limit when the idiot crashes into you ? Police grab your in-car cam and can see that suddenly there are two guilty people. Also, I disabled it's built in sound recorder, reason being, you might be mentioning out loud the ethenticity of the lunatic who is about to hit you and if that was played in Court, you might find yourself cast as a racist !!

It cost £75 from China and £21 for an sd card to give 5 hours recording.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

Geordies camera looks like a DR 32 reviewed by Techmoan - [ame]http://youtu.be/P-dfvPX0dOs[/ame]

I've got one and they are very easy to set up and use.

There are cheaper and dearer cameras but for a mid range HD camera you won't go far wrong with one of these.

Showing how good or bad the video quality is can be very difficult when clips are posted on Youtube as they alter the settings to give an inferior quality picture, 720p instead of the original 1080p, but the DR 32 clips played full screen on my PC are brilliant.

:france::france::france:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I have the Roadhawk HD, bit pricier than some, but picture quality is first rate and of course it has gps. Not bothered about the camera recording my speed, I only dawdle anyway, sound is also turned off.
    Allan

12. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

Nice it of kit
    I have similar with full gps real time log with mph A must to prove who did what in an accident

• Like Like x 1
  13. Swiftroy1

Swiftroy1 Read Only Funster

I've never appreciated the need to record who I may run into. Surely it would be better if it recorded who ran into you? Therefore rear-facing recorders would be more likely to be useful.

14. Allanm

Allanm Funster

If someone runs into the back of you, its invariably their fault. You just need to get their reg number, which will probably be on the front number plate embedded in the back of your van!

There are so many scams about by people trying to get your money one way or another. Crash for cash, people jumping on your bonnet while on a crossing and trying to blame you for hitting them. People driving towards you on your side of the road and swiping the side of your van, etc... A dash cam catches them all.
    Of course, if its your fault, hide the cam and pray the other driver doesn't have one....

Allan

• Like Like x 3
  15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I Googled "dash cameras" earlier this afternoon and it came up with Roadhawk at the top but I can only find instructions against their three offerings for windscreen mounting, not dash mounting. As mentioned earlier, I am looking for one which will sit flat on the top of the dash but can be removed when not in use.

I've e-mailed Roadhawk to ask if dash mounting is possible but haven't had a reply yet. Do you know if dash mounting as I require is possible?

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

easy Graham.......mount the camera at the bottom of the screen and lay the lead over the dash...front to back.

Roadhawk DC-1 comes with 5 meters of cable.

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

looking at this picture i doubt it without the video being upside down.

[​IMG]

18. Phill D

Phill D

this is what i use and its fixed to my sat nav bracket behind the sat nav, perm wired.

great quality picture day and night, not expensive, great software for play back.:thumb:

Attached Files:

19. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

Bought a "cheapy", £45.00. This has been mentioned before and I can confirm that with the one I bought; number plates can be read clearly at a closing speed of 100mph. Can't find the picture now but in a post somewhere.

20. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

[​IMG]

There you go:BigGrin: