DASH CAMS (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi

After watchinga program last night. I'm thinking of buying one. What are your thoughts,:Eeek:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We bought one years ago. Always use it, you never know when evidence might be needed.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Bought my first one (cheapo) about 4 years ago.
Upgraded several times since then and now have fitted to car and MH.

A bit like driving with a seat belt - you feel a bit naked and prone without one.
Already saved quite a few clips of "daft driving".

I now wouldn't be without one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I think I heard somewhere that some insurance companies will reduce your premium if you have one fitted. Even if they don't IMO a dash cam is an added level of insurance against all the numpty drivers on the roads, especially if you are driving abroad. We also save some of the more interesting the dash cam files and watch them later when we can't get away in the van. Glad we got ours.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I think I heard somewhere that some insurance companies will reduce your premium if you have one fitted. Even if they don't IMO a dash cam is an added level of insurance against all the numpty drivers on the roads, especially if you are driving abroad. We also save some of the more interesting the dash cam files and watch them later when we can't get away in the van. Glad we got ours.
To the best of my knowledge they have yet to accepted as evidence in a court of law. However, I do know that Insurance company use them when disputing a claim with the other parties Insurance company and in some cases accept them as evidence that there own client is fault free in an incident/accident.

OP
OP
Marvic
Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Came across a old post .included .TECMOUN ABOUT dash cams very interesting. Will be dropping hints, re Xmas presents. (sorry I know it's a bit early ):groan:

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I'm considering a dash cam,do I need to have a PC to be able to use one.This may seem a silly question but I only found out that to use my satnav having only an i pad is no use.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
To the best of my knowledge they have yet to accepted as evidence in a court of law. However, I do know that Insurance company use them when disputing a claim with the other parties Insurance company and in some cases accept them as evidence that there own client is fault free in an incident/accident.

Evidence from CCTV and other cameras and photographic evidence has been accepted for many years, provided it can be authenticated as genuine. Dashcam evidence is no different, if the Court is satisfied as to its source and its integrity it may accept the evidence.

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
After using Chinese cameras from eBay in both car and van for a while I became dissatisfied with the quality so bought a couple of Mio MiVue 518 models, which I'm very pleased with. That model is now no longer produced (though manufacturer refurbished devices are available) and has been replaced by the 618. An important factor for me was to have one with GPS so that the journey could be tracked in Google Maps. In the car I also have a rearward facing Maplin M220, which does not have GPS, and which I bought after a couple of cars being driven by people using phones came up fast behind.

As part of playing with comparing sat navs I have a Mio Combo 5207 LM Truck which has a dash cam (with GPS) built in. That is OK if you can mount it somewhere where the camera can film the road, without obscuring the drivers view, and at the same time it can be used as a sat nav. In the van it's OK because I do the navigating whilst Jill drives and our main (Garmin) sat nav is mounted where she can see it.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Evidence from CCTV and other cameras and photographic evidence has been accepted for many years, provided it can be authenticated as genuine. Dashcam evidence is no different, if the Court is satisfied as to its source and its integrity it may accept the evidence.
I would like to think your right ! However, can you direct me to one case, news item or other source of news to show a Dashcam film being accepted as evidence in a court.

Deleted User
My insurance broker lists a number of approved dash cams and offers a discount if you fit one. I asked what would be the situation if the dash cam failed and didn't record an incident and they said it may well affect my insurance claim !.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My insurance broker lists a number of approved dash cams and offers a discount if you fit one. I asked what would be the situation if the dash cam failed and didn't record an incident and they said it may well affect my insurance claim !.
I think in this case I would not declare to the Insurance company you had a Dashcam fitted. In the event of a non fault claim supported by your Dashcam footage, I could not see them rejecting the footage out of hand because you never declared you had it in the first place. I have not declared to my Insurance provider that I use a Dashcam and have no intentions of doing so either. (I suspect any discount offered would be minimal too).

Reactions: GJH
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I would like to think your right ! However, can you direct me to one case, news item or other source of news to show a Dashcam film being accepted as evidence in a court.

I don't scan Court results so I am unable to quote any particular case. However, from my experience, provided the rules of evidence are adhered to I can see no reason to suppose that physical evidence obtained from a dash cam would not be admissible, that is a of course a matter for the bench in any case. As an example of physical evidence, in the Crown Court I once used a tape recording of a suspects voice which lead to his identification by a female assault victim, (she never saw his face and there was no forensic evidence or other identification evidence). Although this was challenged in Court, the evidence was accepted by the Judge as it was found to pass the admissibility test. This was the first time this had been done in a UK Court and the accused was convicted.

The same rules of evidence apply in lower Courts, you may find this interesting

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/court-proceedings/evidence/

http://www.hse.gov.uk/enforce/enforcementguide/court/rules-key.htm Although this example is published by the HSE the rules are the same in all proceedings whoever they are brought by.

https://www.themotoringlaw.uk/dashcam-convictions/

I retired some thirteen years ago but I have no reason to think the rules governing evidence have changed.

Last edited:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I love my dash cam as I get a record of where I have been

Service Station 1 A49 90k From Portugal.jpg

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Roadhawk HD in mhome and an RAC105 in the car. The Roadhawk is by far the best imo.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks iandsm, I found the link to the Dashcam convictions proposal very informative. I would support it's adoption across the board.

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
I'm considering a dash cam,do I need to have a PC to be able to use one.This may seem a silly question but I only found out that to use my satnav having only an i pad is no use.
You don't need a PC to use a Dashcam, but it would be useful to view the footage on. Many allow you to see footage on the camera itself, some don't have screens on. There are some that use WiFi, so you may be able to use with an iPad.
Take a look at http://www.techmoan.com for impartial no nonsense reviews on all sorts of models, they mostly have links on to where they can be purchased from.

Deleted User
Bought one about 18 months ago and used it every day. Until an incident on the M11, down loaded to the PC to find it was picture every second. Travelling at 70 and being under taken at about 100 the merc number plate was just a flash. So lost a lot of enthusiasm. Having said that the system was less than £40 and very similar as one offered on petrol forecourts through the summer.
Imagine the ones recommended above would be nearer £100.
I can see that in about 2 years this will be already pre installed on the Japanese and German high end mark cars, plus HGV's.
Has this been tested by Which Motoring Magazine yet?
I like the idea of a camera for the rear, of the MH, especially for driving on the continent.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Here you go, the daddy of dash cams £180.00
Roadhawk DC-2 review
Broken Link Removed
31 Mar 2015
er-awards-recommended_0.png

roadhawk_dc-2_1222.jpg

Our Rating

Price when reviewed
The DC-2 is a distraction-free dashcam that produces superb daytime footage

Specifications
1080p dashcam, no display

RoadHawk
The DC-2 is unusual among dashcams in that it that doesn’t have an integrated screen. Roadhawk, which predominantly targets the business market, says this is a deliberate safety decision that ensures its devices are both legal to use and don’t distract the driver. Having witnessed first-hand how the screens on other devices can divert your eye from the road, we agree this is the right approach. Dashcams are meant to help you record accidents, not create them, after all.

At first, we were concerned that getting the DC-2 in the right position without a screen would be tricky, but in practice it’s not even a minor problem. Roadhawk supplies two types of mount – one that sticks to the screen and a regular suction-cup mount – and both are easily adjustable to get the camera straight.

That’s not to stay the camera is entirely problem-free. The LEDs that are meant to let you know the DC-2 is recording and has latched onto a GPS signal are very dim and difficult to see in bright daylight. Also, the position of the power socket next to the mic input gave us some grief: it’s easy to plug the power adapter into the wrong hole, especially if you’re fumbling around in a dark car, potentially leading to missed recordings. The DC-2 is also relatively chunky – it was awkward to fit behind the rear-view mirror in one of our cars.

Alfa Romeo Giulia Premiere at 2015 LA Auto Show | AutoMotoTV
  • video playing

5kmzvr-X.jpg

• Jaguar Land Rover at the LA Auto Show...
    5kmzv3-X.jpg

• Samsung Electronics to Buy Back $2 Billion in...
    sqmzml-X.jpg

• Super Smash Bros. For Wii U Review:...
    sq83qv-X.jpg

• Hotel Charges Couple After Bad Online Review
    sq830x-X.jpg

• Cern scientists discover 2 new subatomic...
    squ0mr-X.jpg

The camera can’t be connected directly to a PC – you have to remove the memory card and pop it in your computer. Roadhawk provides a USB adapter in the box for those who don’t have a memory card reader. It’s also worth noting that the unit comes with Roadhawk offers an optional, external GPS antenna for the DC-2 (part code 923, £20), in case a heated windscreen or special coating knocks out the satellite signal. There’s also the option to hard-wire the unit into the car’s electrical supply, and it can also be connected to commercial tracking systems.

Overa

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back