Dash Cams (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Am thinking of fitting one to Ruby - any advice on decent quality, reasonable priced dash cams funsters may have fitted would be appreciated. Thanks

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Am thinking of fitting one to Ruby - any advice on decent quality, reasonable priced dash cams funsters may have fitted would be appreciated. Thanks
Give @Jaws a shout, John may have one hanging around from his last batch he got us. (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I bought one of Jaws cameras, It was ok.. did the job.. but I wanted something better quality for doing road trip video..

I now have Transcend DrivePro 200.. ÂŁ89.99 from Amazon.. it is really great .. very pleased with it ..

• Smooth, detailed Full HD 1080p recording @ 30fps
  • 160 viewing angle gives an extra wide perspective of on-road events
  • Bright 2.4-inch colour LCD screen for live view and video playback
  • 7 Glass lenses for ultra sharp picture
  • Motion G-Sensor detects impacts and automatically protects current recording

.. you get what you pay for in a dash cam.. or indeed any camera..

if it's just for recording road accidents.. the cheap camera does.. if you want good quality video you need to pay more..

OP
OP
MuddyPuddle
Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Thanks for the above very useful responses guys - I have a bit of reading to do now!:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I've tried a couple of dash cams but the one irritation that seems to be common is that the date and time has to be reset every time they are switched on. Do those that Funsters have recommended above suffer like this, or do they keep an updated date and time, perhaps from a battery backup or from the GPS signal?

mercianman

Free Member
Mar 4, 2016
Newport Pagnell
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 696
Exp
We have a Garmin nuvicam satnav which is great. It's an all in one and you can add rear facing cameras as well if you want.

Huskydog

Free Member
Oct 23, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
Lunar roadstar 620
Exp
Nextbase420G every time , had one in my business van for a couple of years and no problem with it and going to get another for my M/H, and I use a 32gb card in it

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Have a look at mio 618 works very well use one in my car,has gps ,speed detection,works with google maps,has g shock sensor for 3 directions

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have had a RoadHawk HD cam for 3 years. Quality is excellent and stuff you need to see is very clear ( ie, number plates of cars that hit you! Faces of people doing stuff they shouldn't, etc.
I also gave a Garmin Nuvicam. While the quality appears good, the resolution isn't good enough to read a car number plate from about 20 feet away on a cloudy day.
I've also had cheap Chinese ones and although they seem to work ok, once again, they fail on resolution just when you need it.
Mio are excellent too. Mrs A has one in her car.

Last edited:

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
+1 for the RoadHawk HD, I have one fitted in the Landrover been there 3 years and the picture quality is superb.

http://shop.roadhawk.co.uk/roadhawk-hd

I recently purchased and just received today a blackvue DR650 as it does video playback over the phone or ipad using wifi so no need for a computer to read the card. I bought this for the MoHo and intend on fitting it on Friday before we go away. I am hoping it is small enough to not interfere with the windscreen blinds.

www.blackvue.eu/Blackvue-DR650-1CH.php

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've tried a couple of dash cams but the one irritation that seems to be common is that the date and time has to be reset every time they are switched on. Do those that Funsters have recommended above suffer like this, or do they keep an updated date and time, perhaps from a battery backup or from the GPS signal?
I've used Chinese ones similar to those which Jaws supplied, a Maplins one and the Mio 518 (my favourite) and all retain date and time.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Worth considering the size of the thing. I've got a Jcam and it is quite bulky and doesn't fit neatly behind the rear view mirror like my old one did, it also interfers with the radio which is why I've gone back to my original one. I think for quality you have to pay more. :)

Deleted User
Might with worth checking with your insurance company as some offer discounts if you fit one of their approved type of dash cams.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Neither of mine ,which includes one from Jaws, need resetting when turned on again.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

that shouldn't happen.. sounds like the internal battery is duff..

one in the car never needs resetting..

If not used, the Transcend Drivepro in motorhome goes 'dead' after several weeks and needs date and time resetting..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back