Dash cams, do you leave them up all the time? (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Putting one in van.
Do folk take them off or leave them up when parked? ?

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I leave mine in place when we're parked up because it's so small it's difficult to see from the outside -

Camera Mount MOBIUS.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I leave it in all the time and would also have it on an ignition or engine run supply.. so it's never not on when travelling..
I also personally prefer no picture on when travelling.. I think there's enough with sat nav to keep you distracted lol...
I do check the card (32gb )for footage from time to time just to check all is well ... and also usually format it at the same time...
Andy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I leave mine (Jaws type approx. 2 years old) on permanently, may be the reason it has just stopped working

My logic is where it is parked it provides another level of security, good chance anybody looking to do mischief would gawp in the windscreen at some point and be filmed full face head on (y)

any recommendations for ones that can be left on all the time gratefully received :)

although another similar would be as good I guess, 2 years use isn't that bad going for £20

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
What's stopped working? Do you need to reformat the sd card?

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
@andy63
How do you leave it on all the time when it's wired to come on with the ignition? ?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
@andy63
How do you leave it on all the time when it's wired to come on with the ignition? ?
Sorry.. I never make myself clear... :xeek:
On all the time the van is been used without having to remember to turn it on .. the cameras I've fitted all have a a minute or two delay after I've stopped but then they shut down... sorry about that...
Again on formatting the card from time to time....I think most of the instructions will say you should do that.... so I do lol..
Andy.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We always leave our dash cams and sat navs in place, except in the van when I put the internal screens up, they get in the way.
I suppose it depends where you live and where you visit. Some places I would take everything off the windscreen and deadlock the doors, even when driving!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
It's very rare that I remove mine from the car, just on the rare occasion if I'm walking the dog somewhere remote and there are tell tale bits of broken window glass in the car park.

If mine is hard wired to the car, rather than just being plugged in to the lighter socket, it automatically starts recording if it detects something hitting the car while I'm away from it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry.. I never make myself clear... :xeek:
On all the time the van is been used without having to remember to turn it on .. the cameras I've fitted all have a a minute or two delay after I've stopped but then they shut down... sorry about that...

It stays in place in the van and is pretty unobtrusive.

I have remember to plug it in when we switch on the ignition.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Many of these cams have an internal battery & come on if the vehicle is jolted, so if someone tries to vandalise or the vehicle is bumped (parking by ear style) you might well catch the reg number of the twat that knocks into your pride & joy.

So the simple answer is to leave it in place at all times.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Here's a picture of the camera in the self build..
Sits behind the reversing camera screen.. easily removed if necessary but seldom is as said in previous post..
No screen on this one unlike the chausson..
20161213_134527.jpg

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
As per many others it would seem, my car and MH ones are both left permanently in place (and both similarly hard-wired).

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I have a screen mounted one in car and a reaview mirror one in the m/home which I leave in place all the time.

Just bought an action camera that works as a dash cam to replace the mirror one, so now it will be either in the m/home or on my bike!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Always there unless we put the internal screens up..

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
RoadHawk HD

Mounted high on the windscreen just left of the mirror on all my cars and hard wired to permanent live. Catches anyone bumping into me in a carpark and making off then. Also any goings on in our street have another angle as well as the house HD night vision external security cameras that are wifi linked.

Also the garage has external and internal cameras with night vision. Again wifi linked incase someone steals the box or the like.

Yes I like my cameras. Phone currently streaming Camara 2 as I lay here in bed.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Family member who is in the Police firmly advised me to just take a minute to tuck it away when no one is in the van because many an opportunist thief will take only seconds to smash window and steal it leaving me with the problems of broken windows, insurance claims etc etc....my minute to his few seconds....no contest I think ?

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Family member who is in the Police firmly advised me to just take a minute to tuck it away when no one is in the van because many an opportunist thief will take only seconds to smash window and steal it leaving me with the problems of broken windows, insurance claims etc etc....my minute to his few seconds....no contest I think ?
I feel the low cost of a camera makes it not worth the trouble to steal so will leave it mounted all the time and it may act as a deterrent to anyone attempting to steal my van

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Mine stays putt... As well as having user configable disk storage for normal roll-over recording... I can configure how much space for auto storing "knock events" etc... and also allocate disk space for a parked monitoring function... but not looked at how to set it up for that mode.. It also talks to my iPhone apparently!..

Ps.. It's a Moi and was a present from my boys... else I'd have probs not bothered with the bells n whistles...

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
IMG_3539.JPG

Tucked high and tight to the rear view mirror. You don't know it's there from the outside unless you make a real effort to look.

Live always!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back