DASH CAM/SD CARD ??CORRUPTION HELP

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wingman, Mar 16, 2015.

1. wingman

wingman Funster

All,
    The play-back of video footage from my dash cam on a PC has suddenly gone bolo. Rhythmical yellow flashes across the screen, badly broken images, followed by the PC giving an error message about not being able to play the clip.

Could this be corruption of the card? Similar to a boot-section error on a PC's HD? It wasn't a proprietary brand name card - got it off the net and was supposed to be Class 10. (Buy cheap, buy twice?).

The curious thing is, it's only the clips at the start or end of the files listed. The ones in the middle can be viewed ok with MS Media Player. Can even view the bad files using Real Player (Avec yellow flashes!).

Have re-formatted the card in the dash cam, but get the same result. In addition, the cam packed up altogether whilst coming down the M1 yesterday and displayed a card error on the screen.

What further checks can I do?

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I would try another card. If it's the same as my camera, blank cards are reformatted by the software on the unit. Whilst you would lose film on the other card, using a new one would overcome a faulty card.

3. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

My eprance 0801 cam recommends using a class 6 card , I've read something about the the class 10 not being appropriate . if you have access to a class 6 , give it a try .

4. wingman

wingman Funster

Thanks both @GJH and @colinw. It's an ePrance mirror type cam. Has worked faultlessly until I bought this new card. Will try a new card around Class 6 then. I got a Class 10 because I seem to remember something on Techmoan about him preferring C10 because of the speed.

5. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

We run dash cams in all our vehicles - we find a card generally only lasts about 12 months before they degrade

• Like Like x 2
  6. Eamless

Eamless Funster

I have seen similar problems with random clips not being read. try running it through Any Video Converter (AVC). Use the free version you can download from web at first to see if it helps. You can get a lot of problems with dash cams and their codecs on windows as most record in MOV which is a Mac format. Use AVC to output it to mpeg2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Tesco do scandisk 16GB cards for about £10. You can get them cheaper online, but easier to take back to Messrs T E Stockwell and COhen, aka TESCO if it goes belly up - and you kept the receipt of course!

• Like Like x 2