Dash Cam power wire routing (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I'll shortly be moving my trusty dash cam from one vehicle to another and once again I'll have to fiddle and faff trying to find the best route and the tidiest way of running the power wire from the camera, located close to the rear view mirror, to the cigar lighter socket on the dash.

It's no big deal - I usually run it across the top of the windscreen/sun visor fixing, down the side of the windscreen and then across, or under the dash. Copious amounts of tapes keep the wire more or less in place but this time I'd like to find a tidier way of fixing the wire.

There must be some clever little fixing gizmo out there to make a better looking job of the task - Velcro/self-adhesive clips? but I can't find them.

All ideas gratefully received (except those suggesting hard wiring).

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
There are some clips available from Road Pro which are classed as self adhesive cable ties, these might be the type of thing you are looking for. I bought a pack at one of the outdoor shows for just this purpose. I since found them in Halfords and bought another packet.
Sorry don't have the techy ability to post the link!

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Thanks Carol - I never thought of Halfords.

I've seen something on Ebay that might do the job but difficult to judge from the picture.

I'll be back home next month so will take a trip to our local Halfords and see what they look like close up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
G-W. I know you where against "Hard wiring" but where is the power to your cab interior light?. Some are just over the rear view Mirror?.

BTW, why DO they leave rear view mirrors in motor-homes without a rear "View"????? I can see the the Toilet door but that's about ALL!!!!

Pete

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I managed to tuck the cable into the head lining and behind the trim of the window pillar. Where that wasn't possible I used these Broken Link Removed

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fitted mine at the side of the screen as they are a wide angle lens position is not criticle. Ran the cable down the side pillar and brought a USB power supply which I fitted under the dash connected to the radio feed so it comes on with the ignition.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I fitted mine at the side of the screen as they are a wide angle lens position is not criticle. Ran the cable down the side pillar and brought a USB power supply which I fitted under the dash connected to the radio feed so it comes on with the ignition.
Me too. Can't do with trailing wires & plugs.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This is how I have the dash cam mounted in the van. It is plugged into an adapter which is also used for the sat nav. The cables for both are looped in the shelf with a piece of non-slip mat on top which is light but heavy enough to keep them in place.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Me too. Can't do with trailing wires & plugs.
Same here, also splashed out on a double din stereo with satnav & the reversing camera feed into it, no flying leads at all on my dash, even a USB lead for phone charging I fitted inside top glove box.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back