Dash Cam & cheap MicroSD cards

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by namwaldog, Sep 18, 2015.

1. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

I recently bought a DashCam and as there was no MicroSD card supplied, I bought a couple of cheap generic 32GB MicroSD cards to use from EBAY. First trip out with it running everything seemed to work fine until I checked the recordings on my PC. The first 2 or 3 hours replayed fine then got error messages saying that the files were corrupt. Simultaneous to this I got a message from EBAY saying that the item I was watching (ie the cheap generic 32GB MicroSD cards) had been withdrawn from sale.
    This piqued my curiosity so I contacted the seller and asked if there was a problem with his SD cards to which he replied that No there wasn't a problem with them, offered a full refund and advised me to get a branded MicroSD card, ie SanDisk etc, as cheap cards were susceptible to vibration.I bought a SanDisk card and, touch wood, everything seems fine.
    Anyone else encountered problems with cheap cards in DashCams

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Not in a Dash Cam but I did post recently about a problem with my Chinese Sat Nav which may have been caused by an unbranded Micro SD card (even though it came from Maplins some time ago rather than on-line).

• Like Like x 1
  3. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

You get what you pay for, I wouldn't buy anything electronic on the cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I was asked to test a bunch on so called 32g cards advertised on fleabay a few years ago..

They arrived in dribs and drabs over the following 2 weeks... not one tested was 32 gig.. A few were 16g but most were either 4 or 8gig !

• Like Like x 1
  5. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Best buy a branded one, I usually buy from 7dayshop as fleabay and Amazon are full of fakes!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Browsing in our local Staples a week ago I spotted these Lexar high speed 16gb micro sd cards. Not a bad price at all for a branded card.

EDIT. Just realised that link is for a Class 6 card at £4.98. I bought a Class 10 card for £5.99.

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

huge numbers of fake cards about even brand names coming out of china and being sold cheap (but sometimes not) on ebay
    I always check with H2testWin before relying on a new card. the program is free to download and use. fake card sellers hate it

• Like Like x 1