Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
thinking of getting a solar charger (the one that you plug into the dash board) to prevent van battery going flat Do they work ???? Any one use them and how effective are they ?? Any comment and personal experience please Thanks for reading

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They will maintain a healthy battery that is running an alarm whilst in store
It wont help a poor or charge a flat battery:thumb:

OP
OP

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
what would be the minimun Wattage I should get and any recomendation of makes ???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you're plugging into the cigarette lighter it must be one that is live without the ignition on or it won't work. Also, make sure radio is fully turned off, not just standby, as it will drain more than an alarm.

I tried one of Link Removed a couple of years ago, during the winter months, and it was a waste of money because it was impossible to keep it angled to the sun sufficiently.

Graham

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What Graham says is about right so long as your expectations are not too high it will maintain a good battery
the biggest you can aford or want to pay out is the true answer 15-20 watts should do the trick

If I know Graham and I do
he nicked one off a baseball cap that drives the little fans:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: and conected it to his leisure batteries too:Doh:
Geo

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
What Graham says is about right so long as your expectations are not too high it will maintain a good battery
the biggest you can aford or want to pay out is the true answer 15-20 watts should do the trick

If I know Graham and I do
he nicked one off a baseball cap that drives the little fans:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: and conected it to his leisure batteries too:Doh:
Geo

I'll have words with you at Peterborough. That charger I nicked off your baseball cap had a short circuit :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Graham

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
Hi 1948,
After having trouble with battery care in winter I bought a little solar charger from Maplins on offer @ £9.99, reduced from £19.99.
It sticks to the side window and keeps the starter battery charge constant whilst it is off the road through winter.
My battery is new this year as the cold weather killed the last one, even though Halfords checked it last summer and gave it a good report. It was killed off simply because it was not kept fully charged !
I do not use the cigarette lighter connection though I have it connected to the terminals and the negative terminal is taken off. Just my personal preference as a safety precaution.
Hope you find this useful.
Denny. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back