dash board solar charger

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by 1948, Apr 17, 2010.

1. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

thinking of getting a solar charger (the one that you plug into the dash board) to prevent van battery going flat Do they work ???? Any one use them and how effective are they ?? Any comment and personal experience please Thanks for reading

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

They will maintain a healthy battery that is running an alarm whilst in store
    It wont help a poor or charge a flat battery:thumb:

3. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

what would be the minimun Wattage I should get and any recomendation of makes ???

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If you're plugging into the cigarette lighter it must be one that is live without the ignition on or it won't work. Also, make sure radio is fully turned off, not just standby, as it will drain more than an alarm.

I tried one of These a couple of years ago, during the winter months, and it was a waste of money because it was impossible to keep it angled to the sun sufficiently.

Graham

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

What Graham says is about right so long as your expectations are not too high it will maintain a good battery
    the biggest you can aford or want to pay out is the true answer 15-20 watts should do the trick

If I know Graham and I do
    he nicked one off a baseball cap that drives the little fans:RollEyes::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: and conected it to his leisure batteries too:Doh:
    Geo

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'll have words with you at Peterborough. That charger I nicked off your baseball cap had a short circuit :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Graham

8. Denny

Denny Read Only Funster

Hi 1948,
    After having trouble with battery care in winter I bought a little solar charger from Maplins on offer @ £9.99, reduced from £19.99.
    It sticks to the side window and keeps the starter battery charge constant whilst it is off the road through winter.
    My battery is new this year as the cold weather killed the last one, even though Halfords checked it last summer and gave it a good report. It was killed off simply because it was not kept fully charged !
    I do not use the cigarette lighter connection though I have it connected to the terminals and the negative terminal is taken off. Just my personal preference as a safety precaution.
    Hope you find this useful.
    Denny. :thumb: