Dartford Tunnel (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We are going to the Kent show. How do we pay the toll for the tunnel? Do we have to go online or can we pay as we get there?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
You can't pay when you get there because there is no longer that facility. There are no booths going southbound anyway. All is controlled by ANPR. You have to pay online, or open an account with a tenner. As sdc77 suggests, look up the info on their website. Saves me typing it all :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Went through the tunnel last week on way back from Germany...... it is quick and easy (and £2.50). They photograph your vehicle so that when you go online they are 'expecting you'. No need for an account, just pay as a single transaction by midnight the day after you go through (y)

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Do you pay for going JUST Southbound ? I haven't had my door tapped or a summons thro the post.

Something says to me that you just paid for Northbound.??

If I am to be transported can you choose ?? as I'd rather like to go to Canada! dun OZ ! ;)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We have to pay for the "crossing" by whatever means unfortunately

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I know it's in Leeds as I had to phone them to get my classification corrected.
They did that immediately only for it to be reversed a week later probably by a computer program or a real life muppet.
I got it corrected via their Facebook page and it is still correct at £1.65 ish per crossing for account holders
image.jpg

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They were GLOATING on the television today that there has been 170,000 unpaid vehicles that they are issuing penalties to and it has a big backlog, Is it £100 penalty not sure but it comes to more profit in fines than tolls. The notices are total cr+p and do not mean sod all to any one who doesn't actually know it is a toll bridge/tunnel. purposely confusing with very little notice of what is needed. They are also catching and fining heavily any lorry driver who is over height or over-length ie car transporters , another money making SCAM.
It seems ignorance of the law is no excuse , bit like the LEZ on the other side of the road.

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
I operate my own SCAM that I devised all on my own.

I go down the M40, anti clockwise round the M25 for Surrey and Kent missing the Dartford crossing and saving £2.50 !

Ain't I a stinker !?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If coming down the A1 it costs far more in diesel to do that

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
you can pay before your journey or you can pay bye midnight the next day online after you used the crossing

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
@Moodybrook they will get around to you eventually. I remembered to pay going south in January but forgot when we returned at the end of March. Eeeek! About three weeks after the crossing I remembered but by then it was too late and I was into the fixed fine time. But, didn't hear anything from them and thought I might have got away with it.

Until yesterday. Fixed penalty notice with photos. £70 fine reduced to £35 if I paid quickly. However, a covering letter with the fine said, as a one off (because of confusion with the new system) they'd let me pay just the crossing fee and cancel the fine if I paid up straight away.

Needless to say I paid up and stuck a tenner in an account for them to keep safe and keep me out of trouble.

So, expect your letter soon :)

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Do you pay for going JUST Southbound ? I haven't had my door tapped or a summons thro the post.

Something says to me that you just paid for Northbound.??

If I am to be transported can you choose ?? as I'd rather like to go to Canada! dun OZ ! ;)
Put your registration in to their web form and see if it shows a crossing to pay for.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
get around to you eventually
Gee thanks, I set off on 2nd of May came back 22nd, virtually no internet in between. So also thought I may have got away with it. Went on their site last night and coughed up, they only asked for the £2.50 So hoping I don't hear any more about it. ;)
Not everyone has internet or at "our" age bothers with it, so crap way to go on !! :whistle::whistle:

Reactions: BwB
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The signage for the crossing is similar to the LEZ registration for foreign registered vehicles. Ambiguous & written in a way that gives rise to the thinking that it is done specifically to generate fine income.
If it isn't then they are employing complete half-wits on there info teams.
It should be quite simple . 40' high signs stating that you have to pay in both directions & how.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but, when in the UK I live quite close (north) to the crossing and find it far easier to register and thus can forget about having to pay by the end of the following day as frequently, by then, I'm hot footing it through France.
I also find it very convenient to have an account as it's so easy (30seconds) to add another vehicle to my account for visitors who rarely use the crossing. That's worked a treat for me since the system has been in place.

Of course it's also cheaper to cross with an account.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Fixed penalty notice with photos. £70 fine reduced to £35 if I paid quickly.

Just got back from the golf and bugger me, my letter as per yours, was waiting for me :(

I will print out my receipt (emailed to me) and send it off. So that should suffice ! What if I wasn't back from an extended tour and no internet, not a very satisfactory carry on just for £2.50 ? :rolleyes:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Still cheaper than LEZ at £500 or £1000 over 3500kg.
Where are the places you must not go to to avoid these things happening, I will not go to Germany in case I run into a restriction zone, They seem to pop up all over the place. The Bridge in York was another place where restrictions suddenly appeared on a main road. but I think that went away again. HOW DO YOU KNOW where these things happen to be if the signage is so CR+P as to make no sense.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Germany is good value at €5 for a green zone sticker (for life!) :D

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
These charges are the thin end of the wedge. I fear we'll be seeing them pop up more and more.

Deep joy!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Germany is good value at €5 for a green zone sticker (for life!) :D
Not if it doesn't qualify as it is 8 years old and euro3. I understand if you do not have a green one then you get hammered by the police.
As for 5 euro I saw it cost 42 to the scam fund to get it, on the website.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Not if it doesn't qualify as it is 8 years old and euro3. I understand if you do not have a green one then you get hammered by the police.
As for 5 euro I saw it cost 42 to the scam fund to get it, on the website.

Sorry, we have Euro5 van :cautious: However the stickers are cheapest if bought from the TUV stations (or car dealers) directly :)

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
I have emailed to them asking just where their signage is. A friend told me she went to Spain and after 3 months has come home to a huge fine and another is in France and has just realised she hasnt paid they said there is no signage as you come to the tunnel telling you how to pay.
We need to keep talking about it as people need to be aware

http://www.aph.com/community/holidays/dartford-crossing-new-charging-system-explained/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back