Dartford Tolls going up again (1 Viewer)

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Link Removed

The cost of a single journey would rise from £1.50 to £2 just four weeks before Christmas, with another 50p rise planned next April.

Lorry drivers already struggling with the rising cost of fuel would pay £5 per journey, rising to £6 in April, compared to £3.70 at present.

On Telly a spokesman said that something has to be done about congestion so thats why they are putting prices up.
How can they say this? How will it help?
The M25 traffic use's this crossing so they have directed all this traffic through causing the bottleneck as the drivers queue to pay the toll.
There is no easy alternative, as, if you divert off to Blackwall Tunnel the congestion would be even greater for London.
Surely the answer to congestion is to drop the charge and let the traffic flow.
Where do they get these people from that make silly statements like this.:Eeek:

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Gosh just read a comment
Were you aware... wrote:

To those of you who have correctly identified that, when the crossing was opened the Govt promised that tolls would stop once the cost of building was reclaimed: did you know that there was an Act passed that revoked that promise? I don't remember it being well publicised to enable open debate with Joe Public. I appreciate that there is a need to cover costs associated with maintenance but...

BBC, 22 Jul 2010 "The Dartford Crossing carries about 150000 vehicles each day".

Even at the minimum charge for each vehicle, that's surely more than maintenance, wages (for toll operators and attending emergency/support services) etc cost? They can claim damage costs back from insurers so is this just (another) cash cow????

30 Jun 2011 8:52 AM

150000 vehicles per day no wonder its congested and so much money being raised already:cry:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
If you promised to allow the government to govern by voting for them choose to break that promise......does it work that way as well!!!!:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Yes it is a cash cow

The Bridge and Tunnel have been paid for long ago. THey said that tolls raised would be used for roads.......

Local residents were given 50 free crossings a year and any others were priced at 20p each.

As you know we live only a mile or so away from the tunnel but as we are in the London Borough of Bexley we dont get this concession. We get all the holdups and jams from the M25 but none of the Perks. Residents in Dartford up to 10 miles away get the perks but not us:cry:

I have complained more than once about this to be told its how they adminster the scheme with Dartford Borough Council.

The traffic lanes are being widened up to the Tunnel and then the congestion starts. On bad days it can take me over 40 mins to do a 5 minute journey due to the know on effects from the tunnel.

So any rise in tolls will stop me going to meets in Essex and I think I will stay mainly in Kent. This Weekend we are supporting the C & CC MCC Section outside a Pub in East Peckham BUSH BLACKBIRD & THRUSH. Just hope Del Boy dosent pop in:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sonja

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Yes it is a cash cow

The Bridge and Tunnel have been paid for long ago. THey said that tolls raised would be used for roads.......

Local residents were given 50 free crossings a year and any others were priced at 20p each.

As you know we live only a mile or so away from the tunnel but as we are in the London Borough of Bexley we dont get this concession. We get all the holdups and jams from the M25 but none of the Perks. Residents in Dartford up to 10 miles away get the perks but not us:cry:

I have complained more than once about this to be told its how they adminster the scheme with Dartford Borough Council.

The traffic lanes are being widened up to the Tunnel and then the congestion starts. On bad days it can take me over 40 mins to do a 5 minute journey due to the know on effects from the tunnel.

So any rise in tolls will stop me going to meets in Essex and I think I will stay mainly in Kent. This Weekend we are supporting the C & CC MCC Section outside a Pub in East Peckham BUSH BLACKBIRD & THRUSH. Just hope Del Boy dosent pop in:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sonja

so if we buy a house in Dartford and if we get all the lorry drivers and everyone else to register there will we all get the 20p crossings. We can then all march on the council and claim overcrowding so they have to give us all council houses in the borough :shout::shout:

OP
OP
Mavis

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Yes it is a cash cow

Sonja
I was going to go to the one at Faversham so will ask Ray if we can go to Peckham see you there Marigolds to the rescue:ROFLMAO:
I wanted to go to Essex but Dartford Crossing on a Friday has become a No No!! :Angry:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's exactly the same story with the prices on the M6 Toll Road. Up and up and up it goes.

At least we can stay on the ordinary M6 or know the roads to avoid either/both. That is not altogether the case when we are going down to Dover to catch a ferry/train.

Would be very interesting to do a survey and see how many folk using the tunnel are actually 'adding to the congestion in London' - we most certainly never do! Haven't actually been to London for .... must be 20 years, I bet? And the locals like Sonja don't add to it either - they were already an integral part of it in the first place that the Powers That Be already knew about and should have catered for when they did the calcs prior to digging the hole.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
When we lived in the North West of England we never ever used the Dartford crossing to get to Folkstone/Dover we always used the M6/M42/M40 and went anti-clockwise around the M25 there was only a difference of around 5 miles in total journey distance.
On the return we did the opposite to the above.:Smile:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I was going to go to the one at Faversham so will ask Ray if we can go to Peckham see you there Marigolds to the rescue:ROFLMAO:
I wanted to go to Essex but Dartford Crossing on a Friday has become a No No!! :Angry:

Was that the meet in Frinton? We fancied that as well however the pull of the pub beckoned.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Look forward to seeing you if you go.

Sonja

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Living just off the A21 in Kent we use it all the time

While I can get through the Blackwall Tunnel just (Height) it is not easy and the approach to that tunnel is offten jammed back miles (3 lanes ) .. the Rotherhithe Tunnel is cars only and is miles round .. So being just off the A21 it is obvious going North towards Essex, Lincolnshire direction (A1 /A10 M11) we have to use the Dartford river crossing.

No one has mentioned it is free between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. and we do often go both ways within these times to save money and to fit in with our arrival times for shows. But even at 5 a.m. there are jams at the tunnel coming from Kent to Essex.

Often we have to duck off the M25 at Swanley exit drop down to the roundabout at Farningham (A20) along the Darenth Valley, and up round the back of Dartford and join the crossing approach at the very last point just before the toll booths to dodge the 10 mile jam that can be there, especially on a Friday. South bound we do the same and cut round the back and come up on the last slip from the Lakeside shopping centre / Servicesto cut off some of the miles of jams that build up at almost anytime.

The widening of the M25 is causing all sorts of issues on a Sunday night and recently at midnight we joined a 10 miles jam.. blackball Tunnel is closed over night for long term works... mind you see how bad it is coming South through the balckwall on a Saturday .. jammed all the way back to the Bow flyover ...

It is never going to get any better..until they build the river crossing for the thames gateway.. if it ever gets built that is.

My RV is thankfully classed as a car even with the trailer and being 45' long.

I do have a DVLA disabled exemption on the tunnel which is on my mobility car..(you only get one) so like the rest of you I have to pay or work round the issues.

Bob:thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years

No one has mentioned it is free between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. and we do often go both ways within these times to save money.

Bob:thumb:

The times we have used this X-ing and never knew that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I often used to use the Woolwich ferry in the summer---when truck driving:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
It's interesting that the French do keep their promises about toll charges on new bridges.
The Marennes-Seudre crossing in Charente had the charge dropped when paid for, as did the nearby Ile d'Oleron bridge and I expect the newer Ile de Re bridge will be free eventually.
However, with autoroute operators raking in around 130 euros for a Calais-Nice journey, for example, I don't suppose they'll starve!
::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
When we lived in the North West of England we never ever used the Dartford crossing to get to Folkstone/Dover we always used the M6/M42/M40 and went anti-clockwise around the M25 there was only a difference of around 5 miles in total journey distance.
On the return we did the opposite to the above.:Smile:

Agree with that, but the problem can be the M6 around Brum and the dreaded stretch from Knutsford South to Brum. If you time your journey it can be a much better route.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
just by way of comparison, the humber bridge is curently £2.70 for a car and has been for a long time. Its going up to £3.00 in november I think it is. Debt to government is a lot more than the origional loan 30 years ago for the overspend. :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back