Dartford Penalty Charge. Lucky Me!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by PhilandMena, Jun 10, 2015.

1. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Received a Penalty Charge Notice in the mail this morning. Banged to rights! Photographed on evening of 24th April at 20.49.
    Gave me 14 days to pay £2.50 or award me £70.00 fine. A no brainer, I have now paid the £2.50 and opened an account.
    I wont make that mistake again.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

What time does it become free? I thought that it was earlier than 8pm.

3. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

From 10 pm to 6 am.

4. Mattyjwr

Thanks - you've saved me from getting into trouble; I've set up an account now. Cheers

5. Larby

Larby Funster

It would appear they are not going straight for the threatened £70 then?
    Tried to add my new (to me) MH this week on charge a/c but registration not recognised.
    Looked on DVLA site yesterday, despite selling 12th April and having had V5 for new van my old one is still showing as taxed ? Needless to say no refund yet!
    So DVLA not updated keeper, wonder how often Dartford Crossing info is updated from DVLA records?
    I don't fancy a fine if someone else buys from dealer and fails to pay toll!

STOP PRESS
    Posted new V5 and retention certificate to DVLA Saturday. Today just 3rd working day later, DVLA have changed number on my new MH.
    WELL DONE DVLA....................
    Also old MH now untaxed.
    Now to see how long before Dartford updates their records?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  6. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

It may be that the first time the vehicle is "caught out" that they offer the £2.50 option, way to go, saved you a fortune :)

7. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Up here in the forgotten territories I found it a rather poor way to operate, when the first that us unwashed know that you can't pay at a toll booth, is when you are on the blooming bridge. The whole thing is pathetic for the sake of £2.50 !! whatever .

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mattyjwr

Even us southerners think that the system is cr*p. I don't know why they don't give the option to pay on-line in advance but also have some toll booths for those that can't / haven't.

9. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

They do give the option to pay online in advance.. Set up an account.. Stick a tenner on it.
    Toll booths are history and good riddance. If you can't pay online (and if you're reading this then you probably should be able to...) then you should go here...
    https://www.gov.uk/pay-dartford-crossing-charge
    Or call them...
    Telephone: 0300 300 0120
    Every day, 5am to midnight
    Christmas Day, 8am to 8pm
    Boxing Day, 6am to 11pm
    New Year’s Day, 8am to 8pm

Seems reasonable to me

10. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Have you tried calling them?
    After 50 minutes I gave up.
    Opened an account, but when it reaches a tenner, it uploads another tenner.
    Won't use this in a year.
    Would love to know how much interest they are making on all these unused millions.
    Should be free and part of the road system.its still a mess and traffic is completely ridiculous sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Baycott

Baycott Funster

I made the mistake of opening an account with a tenner.
    Problem is, when your account drops below £10.00 (so that's after one use) it automatically uploads £20.00 :Eeek:
    I now have £26 odd sitting in an account I won't use for months :swear2:

• Like Like x 1
  12. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

You don't have to open an account, just do one of payments as you use it, £2.50 a pop.

13. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

If your vehicle isn't showing on the a Dartford list you can add it manually. I added my Mums Irish registered car to our account with no problems.

14. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I don't see what the fuss is about, we came through the tunnel on our way back to Scotland 3 weeks ago and paid online when we got home........I found the whole process quick, easy and efficient

Sorry :oops:

• Like Like x 1
  15. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

When opening the account, opt for the manual payment, and that way you won't be docked £10 automatically.
    I initially set ours up with £10, but then added another £3, knowing that the return crossing in September should active an email reminder, that the account has drooped below £10.

I'm sure that you can go back into your account, and change your preferences from auto payment to manual.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

• Like Like x 3
  16. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Yep, just had a look, and you can. (y)

Jock. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. wanderer

wanderer Funster

Paid for our crossing at out local newsagent who has a paystation for bills . You just give him the registration number and pay easy

18. DJA

DJA Funster

It is interesting that some think Dart Charge must be making a fortune in interest from all the money lying in accounts.

If I was Dart Charge it would seem more beneficial to me that you do not open an account as then I am charging you £2.50 instead of the £1.67 per crossing ie +50%.

If you know of any legal means of enabling me to get better return on my £10 than a 30% plus reduction in costs then please tell me. It seems to me if you are going to use the crossing at least once a year its a no brainer.

• Like Like x 2
  19. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

@Larby ******* NOTE ********* YOU have to de-register your old motor home ( or any vehicle ) from the dart charge scheme. It is only the person that registers the vehicle to an account who can do it. Failure to do so will mean that no one else can ever register it & the person originally who registered it will get all the charges/penalty notices.

There was actually a comment on here from someone who runs a business locally & has a courtesy car to loan out & who found that one of his customers has registered the car to their account & the next person who used it & wanted to pay , couldn't, ( as it was already registered & probably had been charged to that account :D) & he as the owner of the vehicle was told that he couldn't de-register it as it could only be done by whoever registered it !!! Until he finds out who registered it apparently nothing can be done.

It wold appear to me that this is a major problem with the system especially when people start changing cars & forget to de-register.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Larby

Larby Funster

Thanks for that, however I wasn't being too clear although I knew what I meant.
    Firstly my old MH was still registered to me for the road and taxed, I wasn't thinking of Dartford.
    As I had a personal plate put on retention from old MH then that number became dormant.
    I left the personal plate registered with Dartford as knew I was putting it on new MH.
    So as posted, old MH now un-taxed, personal plate now on new MH.
    Where my query arises with Dartford is: They knew my MH details when I set up the account by using DVLA data in the 1st instance, surely they will know my new one with that same number if they update from DVLA?
    I accept it is my responsibility to alter vehicle details when buying or selling but I am using the same number and assume they will know the vehicle type from the number?
    Or will I have to "REMOVE" vehicle from list as make and model are now different?
    Then put in in number only to find that if they are not up to date then old MH will come back up?
    Although it's still a MH and still registered to me so no big deal as I still pay from my account.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 1