Free Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ely
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Caravanning for 10 years
Can anybody tell me what the charge for daytime crossing is for a 8.6m tag axle motorhome is. Picking my new motorhome up from kent on Tuesday and have to take the crossing to get home.

OP
OP
DandP

DandP

Free Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ely
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Caravanning for 10 years
Cheers for that. Good value for money

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We had an email from them the other day, saying we need to top up our account :rolleyes: it's down to £4.99 :) Well as we have only been through or over 3 times since 28th May 2015 they can go and :whistle: and the £5 will stay in our bank a while longer. :LOL: Bob.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We paid £1.67 for our 7.5 ton RV using my Daughters account.
We crossed on 17th June, added our van to her account on 18th and crossed back on 19th June
They only put the second crossing on her account, it seems you can't retrospectively pay for your crossing how we did It.
Got a letter yesterday saying we hadn't paid and had to pay £2.50, they waived the £70 fine.
It's very unclear that you are going on a toll bridge and even less clear that you have to pay, I doubt many foreign users even know about it.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
We crossed to Kent on Wednesday afternoon en route to Dover. We have now arrived home and tried to pay, first on line without success and then by phone.

"Sorry sir. You can't pay now as the payment won't be accepted after 24 hours. You will have to wait for the PCN and then pay. As it is the first time of not paying the penalty will be removed if you phone us within 14 days of receipt of the PCN"

How cost-effective is that? It is just a crazy system.

J

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We paid £1.67 for our 7.5 ton RV using my Daughters account.
We crossed on 17th June, added our van to her account on 18th and crossed back on 19th June
They only put the second crossing on her account, it seems you can't retrospectively pay for your crossing how we did It.
Got a letter yesterday saying we hadn't paid and had to pay £2.50, they waived the £70 fine.
It's very unclear that you are going on a toll bridge and even less clear that you have to pay, I doubt many foreign users even know about it.
To be honest, I thought that it was very well signposted with big red "C" notices on the approach roads.

All we did was to put all three vehicles on the one account and that is it. Very easy process. I sympathise with the above, though, but I guess it was cheaper in the long run to set it up that way

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Forgot to pay going South (remembered the day after) and again 4 Months later.
FB_IMG_1468012650072.jpg

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I think the crossing charge, with an account (£1.67), is reasonable. Except:
a) we were promised when the bridge was built that the toll was to pay for the bridge. It has now been paid for several times over.
b) By topping up with a £10 direct debit every time the balance drops below £10, the operator has something of the order of £14 of my money in its account all the time. Multiply that by the number of users with an account and the operator has the use of significant sums of cash for it own use at no charge. Whoever designed this scheme has earned his or her bonus!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have a pay as you go account set up for all cars, and the van. So it was very annoying when wifey went over in a hire car and had to pay the full rate, still better than a PCN.

[ETA]
Just fished out the receipt, a one off payment was £2.50 against £1.67 for a registered car on an account

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I top up my account manually, that way, they only have however much of our money in advance, that I decide the're having. We still have enough there for 3 x crossings.

Cheese,

Jock. :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
To be honest, I thought that it was very well signposted with big red "C" notices on the approach roads.

All we did was to put all three vehicles on the one account and that is it. Very easy process. I sympathise with the above, though, but I guess it was cheaper in the long run to set it up that way
I saw the big C signs, but to a foreigner and even someone who doesn't use it regularly, it really doesn't say what the C means.
Compare to toll roads in France where there huge signs telling you a peage is coming up, I think they are very poorly signed, maybe deliberately as a money making excercise.
Cavs, above, has made some very good points.
But, in the scheme of things, it is still cheap. A similar toll bridge in Normandy ( Pont de Normandie) is over €6 per car and Motorhomes are even dearer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had the 'balance is below £10' email too ... I'll top it up sometime before we got on holiday in September ... if I remember! :rolleyes:

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I've got both moho's and the wife's car on our account, plus all the kids + spouses/partners.

It's cheaper in the long run than "lending" them the money to pay the fine when they forget, :rofl::rofl::rofl:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I saw the big C signs, but to a foreigner and even someone who doesn't use it regularly, it really doesn't say what the C means.
Compare to toll roads in France where there huge signs telling you a peage is coming up, I think they are very poorly signed, maybe deliberately as a money making excercise.
Cavs, above, has made some very good points.
But, in the scheme of things, it is still cheap. A similar toll bridge in Normandy ( Pont de Normandie) is over €6 per car and Motorhomes are even dearer.
I agree with Cavs above (the charge should have been dropped in 2003 but was kept either as a congestion charge or to pay for a new crossing) but always top mine up manually which avoids that problem. However, I don't agree that it is not adequately signposted as a deliberate money making exercise; that is simply ludicrous and would leave the operators open to be sued. It is in their interests to have everyone pay for the crossing first time every time, as chasing unpaids (especially £2.50 unpaids) is massively time consuming and expensive and simply not worth it. That statement is based on my own detailed breakdown costings of chasing debt in my previous job........

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I've thought about topping up manually but I'm not sufficiently well organised! Living in Beds with a daughter in Kent and being frequent travellers on the tunnel I went for the safe option.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got an account and have cars and the motor home on it.

I use the auto top up just for convenience. Its something less to have to think about and remember.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We've had the 'balance is below £10' email too ... I'll top it up sometime before we got on holiday in September ... if I remember! :rolleyes:

The way I see it is, as long as your credit is 1p you have an account and ours is £4.99 so we will do another 2 crossings then they can hold a bit more of our cash. :LOL: Bob.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The way I see it is, as long as your credit is 1p you have an account and ours is £4.99 so we will do another 2 crossings then they can hold a bit more of our cash. :LOL: Bob.
We're on only just under £10 ... £9.98 to be precise! :D

I believe you can just cancel the account and get a refund and then start another when you next intend to cross, but it's not worth the hassle really for the small amount of money involved ... I'd rather spend my time earning £400 from bank 'friend' referrals! :LOL:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We always cross at night when there's less traffic and it's free. (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If we go to Italy next year I'll open an account. Sister in Law doesn't do ferries :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back