Dartford crossing

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DandP, Jul 8, 2016.

1. DandP

DandP Read Only Funster

Can anybody tell me what the charge for daytime crossing is for a 8.6m tag axle motorhome is. Picking my new motorhome up from kent on Tuesday and have to take the crossing to get home.

2. hchris

hchris Funster

Same as a car £1.67
    If you have a account setup just add the motorhome

Chris

3. DandP

DandP Read Only Funster

Cheers for that. Good value for money

4. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

We had an email from them the other day, saying we need to top up our account :rolleyes: it's down to £4.99 :) Well as we have only been through or over 3 times since 28th May 2015 they can go and :whistle: and the £5 will stay in our bank a while longer. :LOL: Bob.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We paid £1.67 for our 7.5 ton RV using my Daughters account.
    We crossed on 17th June, added our van to her account on 18th and crossed back on 19th June
    They only put the second crossing on her account, it seems you can't retrospectively pay for your crossing how we did It.
    Got a letter yesterday saying we hadn't paid and had to pay £2.50, they waived the £70 fine.
    It's very unclear that you are going on a toll bridge and even less clear that you have to pay, I doubt many foreign users even know about it.

6. Pilote87

Pilote87 Funster

We crossed to Kent on Wednesday afternoon en route to Dover. We have now arrived home and tried to pay, first on line without success and then by phone.

"Sorry sir. You can't pay now as the payment won't be accepted after 24 hours. You will have to wait for the PCN and then pay. As it is the first time of not paying the penalty will be removed if you phone us within 14 days of receipt of the PCN"

How cost-effective is that? It is just a crazy system.

J

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

To be honest, I thought that it was very well signposted with big red "C" notices on the approach roads.

All we did was to put all three vehicles on the one account and that is it. Very easy process. I sympathise with the above, though, but I guess it was cheaper in the long run to set it up that way

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Forgot to pay going South (remembered the day after) and again 4 Months later. FB_IMG_1468012650072.jpg

9. Cavs

Cavs Funster

I think the crossing charge, with an account (£1.67), is reasonable. Except:
    a) we were promised when the bridge was built that the toll was to pay for the bridge. It has now been paid for several times over.
    b) By topping up with a £10 direct debit every time the balance drops below £10, the operator has something of the order of £14 of my money in its account all the time. Multiply that by the number of users with an account and the operator has the use of significant sums of cash for it own use at no charge. Whoever designed this scheme has earned his or her bonus!

• Like Like x 1
  10. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

We have a pay as you go account set up for all cars, and the van. So it was very annoying when wifey went over in a hire car and had to pay the full rate, still better than a PCN.

[ETA]
    Just fished out the receipt, a one off payment was £2.50 against £1.67 for a registered car on an account

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  11. tofo

tofo Funster

Have a day out in Kent come back to Essix after 10'pm it's free

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

I top up my account manually, that way, they only have however much of our money in advance, that I decide the're having. We still have enough there for 3 x crossings.

Cheese,

Jock. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I saw the big C signs, but to a foreigner and even someone who doesn't use it regularly, it really doesn't say what the C means.
    Compare to toll roads in France where there huge signs telling you a peage is coming up, I think they are very poorly signed, maybe deliberately as a money making excercise.
    Cavs, above, has made some very good points.
    But, in the scheme of things, it is still cheap. A similar toll bridge in Normandy ( Pont de Normandie) is over €6 per car and Motorhomes are even dearer.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We've had the 'balance is below £10' email too ... I'll top it up sometime before we got on holiday in September ... if I remember! :rolleyes:

15. Hymie

Hymie Funster

I've got both moho's and the wife's car on our account, plus all the kids + spouses/partners.

It's cheaper in the long run than "lending" them the money to pay the fine when they forget, :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. ramsthom

ramsthom Funster

We only use it once a year so prepay for 2 crossings about 1 week before.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I agree with Cavs above (the charge should have been dropped in 2003 but was kept either as a congestion charge or to pay for a new crossing) but always top mine up manually which avoids that problem. However, I don't agree that it is not adequately signposted as a deliberate money making exercise; that is simply ludicrous and would leave the operators open to be sued. It is in their interests to have everyone pay for the crossing first time every time, as chasing unpaids (especially £2.50 unpaids) is massively time consuming and expensive and simply not worth it. That statement is based on my own detailed breakdown costings of chasing debt in my previous job........

18. Cavs

Cavs Funster

I've thought about topping up manually but I'm not sufficiently well organised! Living in Beds with a daughter in Kent and being frequent travellers on the tunnel I went for the safe option.

19. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I've got an account and have cars and the motor home on it.

I use the auto top up just for convenience. Its something less to have to think about and remember.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

The way I see it is, as long as your credit is 1p you have an account and ours is £4.99 so we will do another 2 crossings then they can hold a bit more of our cash. :LOL: Bob.

• Like Like x 1