Dartcharge account

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stevec, Aug 24, 2016.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

I've had a Dartcharge account for a while now and it generally has a few pounds in it. £1.67 until recently when I topped up with another tenner. After using the crossing last weekend I get a message saying my account has gone under the minimum of £10. Never had that before. Is this some change recently to extract more money from us citizens?

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

If you have it set to auto top up then it triggers when your balance drops below £10. That's how mine is set up just for convenience.

There's nothing that says you have to maintain a specific minimum balance though. Perhaps they've decided £10 is a "recommended" minimum and just send a reminder when it drops below that?

From the T&Cs:

3. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

Agree with @NickNic we've had an account for ages and balance sits at £8.70 at the moment but has done for about 5 months and I haven't been asked to top up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Only used mine yesterday for first time since setting it up over a year ago.
    I got the same message this morning but have no intention of topping it up as a very occasional user.

5. Techno

image.png

6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I guess if you had 20 vehicles registered and all were crossing 2 or 3 times a day they would probably ask you to keep a much higher balance than if you only use is a couple of times a year.

Another bit of T&C:

I think these low balance messages are just a gentle reminder that if you forget to top up and get a penalty charge you can't complain about it.

7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I have auto top up on, so don't see this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I have an auto top up as well.
    Cheaper than a fine lol

9. Techno

I can cross 4 more times and still be in credit and I'm sure they'll keep reminding me anyway

10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I've had reminders every time we go below £10 so not sure why some are only now getting them if they've been below £10 on other occasions although I think the reminder only comes when you actually go through the crossing and it drops below the 'requested' minimum £10 on the account. I still don't top up though until it gets really low!

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I set up a Dart Charge account, with manual update, in January 2015, knowing that we would be doing a return journey later in the month. I put £10 in it (the minimum) and it was reduced to £6.66 by the return journey. I didn't receive any reminder about dropping below £10.

In October last year there was a thread about unused accounts being closed (in accordance with Ts&Cs) and money being lost so I got in touch with Dart Charge. I found a number of things wrong with their system and had an "interesting" communication with them (including involving Charlie Hewson, their CEO). It took a month to resolve but my account still has £6.66 in it and they haven't (dared?) threaten to close it :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Techno

Yes I got the closure email too quite a while ago saying I had to cross within the next so many weeks to keep it.
    I ignored it as I had no plans for that but having crossed this Tuesday I found my account was still active thanks (y)

13. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

What a brilliant scam! Get thousands of people to put at least £10 in your account (earning you interest no doubt), then if they don't use your tunnel or bridge for a while you get to keep their money anyway! GENIUS, wish I had thought of that one. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ah, but, there's nothing to stop 'punters' closing their account to get their money back out and then re-opening one later when they need it, it's just that people don't bother.

15. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

I havent had any notifications and havent used it for a long time. I changed the Vehicle as we now have a different Van but it came up as class c as it was registered as a panel van. Have since changed it to Motor Caravan and removed and re-added the reg but it still comes up class c. Have used contact form to message them but waiting to hear from them.

16. DM23

DM23 Funster

I guess there must be different types of Dartcharge accounts: we use it very rarely so we have an "auto pay as you go" account - no money is preloaded in it, they just charge the card whenever we cross.

17. seanoo

seanoo Funster

I have just got a penalty charge notice from dart charge for driving over without paying! Trouble is I was in Portugal at the time and the car that was used was a BMW1 series and they had a number plate from a car that I used to own years ago. When I phoned them they say I have to contact the DVLA and get proof that I don't own the vehicle that went over the bridge!

18. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

I use auto top up, and when on the odd occasion I have phoned them on 0300 3000 120, they were very helpful.
    Phil

19. Techno

Automatic pay as you go gives no discount and will be charged as £2.50 per crossing.
    Having an account reduces this to £1.67

20. DM23

DM23 Funster

Ahh right thanks, I wasn't aware that there was an option to get a discount. But I think for the number of times we use it we'll just stick with the non-discounted option - luckily the extra 83p isn't going to break the bank ;). And once the dealer's warranty runs out on the MH next year we'll probably never use the Dartford crossing again.