Darned Scratches

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by OddSocks, Apr 16, 2014.

1. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

So - the narrow roads and close bushes of the Cornish roads have caught me out! :( That is the problem with satnavs in Cornwall. They don't tell you how narrow the roads are.

So does anyone know any good way of getting scratch marks off your double glazed plastic windows? The van, I am sure, will polish out nicely with a bit of elbow grease. And some polish.... lol But I am worried that I now have two long marks along the windows which will constantly remind me of the day the satnav picked a daft route home :Doh:

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

minor scratches, brasso, but deeper ones are difficult as it takes a lot of work and not always successfully. deep ones involve wet & dry paper and cutting compound and a rotary polisher. not for the average diy'er and can ruin windows that are expensive to replace

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVPw201VqSc"]Plastic and Acrylic Restoration kit, Removes Scratches, abrasions, haziness. - YouTube[/ame]

3. Masman

Masman Funster

look out for seitze scratch remover Its made especialy to remove scratches from plastic windows :thumb:. I did same think on coast road to padstow .Icant remember where I got it from. but look on net.

4. Terry

Terry Funster

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  5. Manic

Manic Funster

I use Autoglem Supper resin car polish with a soft cloth in small circular motion.
    What ever you do make sure the window is clean first.

6. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Brasso will take deeper scratches out after 2 or three polishes,great stuff and can also be used on sides of van

Vlad.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Eddystone

Eddystone Funster

Try Farecla G3 paste. Beware of colour cut type liquids as some are petroleum based and will lead to fine cracks on acrylic windows.

Brian

8. Terry

Terry Funster

I would advise that you don't use small circular movements on any windows be they acrylic or glass -- if you think about this you are using a rubbing paste (very fine) to polish out a scratch which in turn leaves very,very fine scratches behind :Eeek: hence my earlier post to rub along the scratch -- a tip from a old guy who spent hours rubbing scratches out with Jewelers rouge -:Wink:
    terry