Dangerous Rapido Oven

Discussion in 'Rapido' started by Pompey, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Pompey

Pompey Read Only Funster

We have a Rapido 7065FF (2014) which we love, except for the oven.

My wife enjoys cooking so an oven was an essential fitting. However, when it is being used the metal part of the oven/grill control becomes red hot. The handle on the cutlery drawer above the oven also gets red hot. Neither can be touched without an oven glove and my wife has burnt her hand twice.

A young child would be at serious risk of facial burns if they came into contact with these metal parts.

We have now stopped using the oven (we have a Remuska) and we are going to ask Rapido to replace it or fix it.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We have a Rapido and use our oven all the time. It's obviously not the same as yours though, our cutlery drawer is below it.

As Rapido don't make ovens, it might be useful to let folks know what the make of the oven is and a picture might be useful too, as some of the problem seems to be it's positioning.

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Its not just the oven that's dangerous, according to another well know Rapido owner the winterisation leaves a lot to be desired :whistle:.

• Like Like x 1
  4. iandsm

iandsm Funster

My 9048 is fine in the winter including snow, ice and heavy rain and wind.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

I had a Hymer like that, so I put extra fire proof insulation on top of the oven.

I was later told, that to concentrate too much heat in the oven, could cause damage and affect the warranty ????

And there was me thinking that the better the insulation, the more efficient the oven!!!!!

:cooler:

6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

The oven on ours is fine, use it all the time (2014 9090) I'll report back on the winterisation after the winter (y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

On some of the smev ovens, there is a pull out metal shelf to protect the ceiling.
    not a lot of people realise this

• Like Like x 1
  9. timetochill

timetochill Funster

We have this on our hobby not always obvious it's there

10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

That's exactly what I was just thinking too - our Smev grill has the slide out heat protection plate to help stuff above it from getting too hot, might be worth googling your make of oven and checking the spec for it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Its worth bearing in mind that as a continental manufacturer Rapido rarely fit ovens as a standard fitment (at least they didn't once upon a time). Ovens fitted in UK market motorhomes are generally fitted by the supplying dealers and as Rapido didn't consider an oven in the original design it is almost always fitted in a poor position. First port of call is your supplying dealer, assuming you bought it new in UK of course.

12. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

Our oven (which has Rapido written on it) does heat the cutlery draw above but not as bad as our previous van which was a Chausson, regarding winterization, ours if fine.

13. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Regarding heating the unit/drawer above/around, this is normal and no different to using our home oven - the cupboards at either side get warm which is why you should never store food in them - check next time you use yours. If you are concerned there's no reason you couldn't add some more insulation so long as you can access the top of the oven safely.

14. Mel

Mel Funster

Oven fine in our 966
    winterisation the cab area is bloody cold in the winter in our Rapido.
    next job diesel heater for the cab area.

Mel

15. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

I must admit that although An oven was a, must have, on our list when researching what MH to buy, we hardly ever use it., but when we do it's fine.
    A question I would ask though is, "when using the oven do you leave the outside vent on or off?"
    When we bought our Rapido 7090 the dealer made a point of telling us to leave it off when using it. I presume if you leave it on it would buckle

16. Pompey

Pompey Read Only Funster

I am visiting the dealer tomorrow and will be interested to hear what they intend to do about this problem

I will let you know.

(There is no pull out heat shield on the oven, which I believe is a Smev, badged as a Rapido)

17. Pompey

Pompey Read Only Funster

Apparently Rapido are bringing out an updated cutlery drawer (without the metal handle) to resolve the problem.

I am embarrassed to say that the technician I was complaining to, reached into the oven and pulled out a metal heat shield. It was in the oven itself so that the door will not close when the grill is on. Hopefully this will stop the metal control knob getting too hot.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

Our cutlery drawer also gets quite hot when using the Smev oven in our 985 Rapido

19. sedge

sedge Funster

I have to say, I pricked up my ears on reading this, our Pilote oven and grill decided to start melting the gas control knobs in the middle of the row between the grill and hob.

This seemed to be caused by the cooling fans somewhere at the back of the grill, when either is on the fans activate to prevent the hob becoming too hot to touch.

I couldn't just bend down to remove anything from either, I had to squat because the blast of red-hot air in my face was too painful.

We searched for a deflector concealed on it ourselves, I thought of that immediately cos I recalled MIL having to have one on her existing fire and cooker when they changed over to natural gas. We mentioned it to Mark who also looked, there isn't one.

We rang Hayes, Hayes spoke to Pilote, Pilote said the only thing it could be was malfunctioning fans. We were not convinced but anyway, they replaced them. We'd have to let them, and try it, to prove it wasn't that.

Guess what? - it was that! Cured. I imagine one of em wasn't working properly if at all thus concentrating all the heat in one place. The blown air is still pretty warm, but at least it's manageable now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. kevan

kevan Funster Life Member

100_3984.JPG
    I too have got Rapido 7065ff 2013 Smiley face, and yes the cutlery drawer does get very hot but never hot enough to burn you, good idea though to change handle,
    Winterisation no problems we have alde heating which is great and have been away in the coldest weather. we love the motor home