Damsel in distress!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mandymops, Jul 26, 2014.

1. mandymops

mandymops Read Only Funster

Ok, you clever techy sorts. A week ago I was having a little party in my van and when all the wine had gone we resorted to cocoa. (Tragic I know.) as I was filling the sink to wash up the tap stopped and lights went out. Flat leisure battery thinks I and switching on torch resolve to was up when I get home. On getting home I turn in and a weird pulsating motor starts up outside. Eventually at about 2.30a.m. I am so irritated by the noise and obviously inconsiderate neighbours, I go to investigate. My red face glows in the darling as I realize it's my pump and the water is pouring all over the place from my waste pipe. I switch off the tap and light and skuttle back to bed mildly baffled as to how to battery suddenly came to life again.

Now I am getting van ready to hit the road tomorrow-charging up battery and filling water but lo,the tap and lights will not function! Now, have I done something dreadful, burned something out, or is it more likely to be a fuse? If I have done something dreadful what kind of place do I need to go to fix it? I take the van to a mechanic more often than I care to mention but who do you take it to for this sort of thing?

2. mandymops

Sorry about all the auto-corrects. (Note to self: Read before posting.) but you get the gist.

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Sounds like a poor connection somewhere - lights and pump goes off then magically comes back on again. With a blown fuse the pump would not have started again. I can only suggest jiggling the leads connected to the leisure battery or batteries, assuming it has one. Otherwise just jiggle any wire you can see!

• Like Like x 1
  4. mandymops

I love it when people talk my language. Jiggling leads I understand. Off to jiggle now

• Like Like x 3
  5. mandymops

Hmmmm.....I fear I may need to resort to an expert jiggler. Where does one go to for electrics problems in the habitation bit? Also, when jiggling I found something which I thought was part of the van but it was just sitting there. I shall see if I can get a picture up. What on earth is it? Should I worry? image.jpg

6. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

I agree it sounds like a bad battery connection, or possibly a fault on the battery switch/relay.
    the item in your pic is called jack, a usefull fellow if you have a puncture.

7. mandymops

There's a wee box with switches under a seat which I've never touched. Is that where the battery switch relay is?

8. DP_JAY

It would help to know what van you have? Do you have a control panel? usually above or near the hab door.
    when you say the lights & pump stopped, was that all, or did everything that is 12v stop working?

9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I fear Jack needs to be retired. He might make a useful doorstop. He should have shiny chromy bits but now I fear has developed something of a patina of age. It comes to us all. Seized up and useless.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daz n Tina

Daz n Tina Funster

Don
    don't panic its only an old bottle jack, nothing to do with the electrics, but it does lift the vehicle

11. mandymops

image.jpg Bedford rascal nipper and tap and three little lights is all I have. I'll show you the box I mean. No control panel-it's all a bit basic. I've only ever used a hook-up twice but have never touched this box. I am wondering if I'm meant to and where the switches should be. I've just noticed the button which says,"Press Monthly." ???? Have just pressed it for the first time in the three years I've had the van. Is this important?

12. mandymops

Aaah. No idea how it works but, hey ho, at least it's not part of the hamster wheel I lovingly call an engine.

13. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Could it be that your auxiliary battery has gone past its sell by date ? Not holding a good charge?
    Then when driving sufficient charge has gone back so as to activate the pump then zilch a few hours later .
    Just a thought

• Like Like x 1
  14. DP_JAY

OK, thats for the 230v not the12v & you push the switch to check that the trips work(plugged in of course) nothing to do with your problem.

15. mandymops

No, I don't think so. I'm charging the battery now and it usually just blows the fuse of the charger if it's completely dead. Seems to be charging ok.

16. mandymops

Thanks

17. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I suspect this little MH doesn't have a leisure battery.

The "press monthly" thing is just to test the circuit breaker is working, but as already mentioned this is for the 240v side of the electrics.

18. DP_JAY

Not likely or the pump & lights would come on as soon as the engine started.

19. DP_JAY

Likely, in which case does it have a "battery saver" that disconnects at a certain voltage?
    Still doesn't explain why the pump didn't start with the engine?

20. mandymops

No, it does have a leisure battery! Not much else but it does have one. I'm charging it at present. Should be nearly full of charge by now.

• Like Like x 1
  21. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

I would say that your leisure battery is probably knackered .sounds like it ran flat when you first had the problem, as you drove home the battery has gained some charge via the vehicle split charging system hence the pump and light working again, but it seems it has since lost any charge it had as you now have the same problem again. The item in your last picture is nothing to do with the 12volt system, it is your mains 240v consumer unit ,the test button is just to check that the trip works, but mains power must be connected for this to function.

• Like Like x 1