Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Tootes

I think you miss understood your dad what he said was you are a tool :LOL:
That my friend, is beyond question. (y) However, there is a world of difference between your 士特的負載 and my Snap-On. :):)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
:):):) That speaks volumes..........(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dawn no idea!

Dawn no idea!

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Carmarthen
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
I'm a newbie
OK back to my van gentleman. . I need someone to fit the part that cools the engine a thermastat. ..best garage or does anyone want to come and do it for wine and beer?? Annnnd goooo9

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
OK back to my van gentleman. . I need someone to fit the part that cools the engine a thermastat. ..best garage or does anyone want to come and do it for wine and beer?? Annnnd goooo9
You can do it.. Easy peasy..

Just take your time and make sure you use the right antifreeze to top up (the same colour as what is in there)

OP
OP
Dawn no idea!

Dawn no idea!

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Carmarthen
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
I'm a newbie
Because the engine is overheating and I have been told by a man that I do...look guys this is reading like a pretty funny script now...in my haste and poverty I bought a 28yr old van that is probably to big is going to need loads of maintenance and I opened the bonnet and it had a wasps nest under it...pic to follow...now you may laugh you guys that know your way around engines and bloody pumps and electrics ...but I don't! !! I fell in love with the old girl...I had visions of me and Dora ( that's my vans name) and the dog ...going on trips ...watching the sun go down..reality is ...I need to learn..and fast ...now you big men and your bloody jokes about pumps and sodding engines are the ones I deal with daily ...crying at the dentist (I'm a dental nurse)..I'm know about teeth ...not motorhomes ...I'm just trying to get my little bit of happiness on the road...Im a hairy chinned bitter twisted spinster...give me a break :) hello motorhome fun club...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well, I'll try to be sensible. As mentioned, the thermostat should be easy to replace, assuming you can get at it. But an overheating engine may be more serious. Worst case it is because of a cracked cylinder head or a blown head gasket. It might also be due to a blocked radiator or blocked cooling channels in the block. And to depress you further it could be something else. :)

So, by all means change the thermostat, it won't do any harm but if it doesn't cure the problem check how much coolant is being used, if any of course as modern engines hardly ever need topping up. If it is using coolant this points to something more serious. Or perhaps something easily fixed like a poorly replaced thermostat which is leaking at the gasket!

:) Sorry bit of humour crept in there...

OP
OP
Dawn no idea!

Dawn no idea!

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Carmarthen
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am up for the challenge yes..and thankyou ...now I must sleep ...her maiden voyage is this Fri ...I have planned a weekend away for my birthday with my other bitter twisted female friends...we can do this ...☺

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I am up for the challenge yes..and thankyou ...now I must sleep ...her maiden voyage is this Fri ...I have planned a weekend away for my birthday with my other bitter twisted female friends...we can do this ...☺
Just take it easy. Overheating can cause the same damage as can cause overheating so one issue causes the problem which leads to another problem developing.

If you post some pictures of the engine bay, we need to see how much water is in the bottle and what state it is in, if you had a wasp nest what does the radiator itself look like and if you can find the thermostat a picture of the housing.

Reactions: DBK

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Oh and.. Where are you headed? There may be a funster neat your destination who can have a peek

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry I can't help you Dawn but I admire your attitude to everything, you will have fun.
clear.png

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is it the 1900cc engine or the 2500cc ? As @mjltigger said a couple of pictures will tell allow us to see & explain better.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Ohhh lord now I am depressed. ....this was supposed to be fun...☺
The stat is the likely fault so don't panic . It can be. Checked by running the engine and feeling the hoses each side. After the engine reached working temperature the hoses should be warm/hot both sides . If not the stat is not opening. If equal temperature the stat is working.

Bear in mind until the engine reached working temp only the hose on one side will heat up ! So allow it time to reach temperature or you wont get the desired effect

Start simple keep it simple and don't panic .

I could go on but as above keep it simple.

Oh and if it's overheating don't drive it. It could turn a very minor easy job into a major one.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back