Dampness in the van

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, Nov 11, 2015.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I have been probing the roof as it felt cold and wet around the skylight, so I removed the surround and measured the wood frame of the roof panel itself and it reads 5% but the thin foam and cloth, of the headlining has bits off the clock 24% plus and yet in other places 5% I have a load of sealant and tape so I will reseal the whole thing but was wondering if it could just be condensation as the damp is a fair way from any openings. I have also got a bit of staining where dampness has marked the cloth, what would be the best way of moving that without water? I am selling the van and want to make sure there is no problems with leaks for the next owners and I am paranoid about water getting in causing rot in the wood frame . WHY is wood still used?.

2. jezport

jezport Funster

Very possibly just surface damp from the atmosphere

3. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Its surprising how much cdensation can be mistaken for damp. We thought we had it in our overcab bed but after 3 days of non stop rain and MH being parked up its dry again so was clearly condensation. Get some air flowing. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  4. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Ventilation..

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I think it may well be a leak at the rooflight.. if you haven't been using it recently I doubt if it's condensation.. you only get that when you live in the van OR it has water ingress which also causes condensation..

To be certain of no problems for the buyer, remove the roof light and re-seal..
    Tape or mastic around the edge is just a bodge and no guarantee it will stop the ingress.

If you don't want to DIY I would guess it will cost about £120 at a dealer (2hrs labour)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  6. Calypso a go go

Calypso a go go Funster

Keep a few of the moisture traps dotted about under seats, in cupboard etc. My MH is pretty watertight but the moisture traps always manage to fill up a little after a few days away, moisture from breathing, gas cooker, condensation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Bought a new Hymer instead! Moisture traps a good idea though just breathing make a lot of moisture.

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

ventilation, ventilation.. ventilation.. that is the secret to a dry van..

let the damp air out and fresh dry air in..