Damp

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by wizzer59, Jul 7, 2014.

1. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Next daft question on damp, when using a meter what is acceptable or not if you get my drift?

2. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Very difficult to give a hard & fast figure as I've found different vans give different readings due to different constructions. With the DT128 I find anything below 20 is generaly OK but the best way is to check lots of different areas till you get an Idea for that van. Also don't panic if you suddenly get a high reading, remember you are basically measuring the conductivity of the material so a hidden cable or metal bracket etc. could be the cause. If you do find damp the reading should get get progressively higher or lower as you get nearer or further away from the source. It takes practice but if you go over your van regularly you'll get to know its "normal" readings..

• Like Like x 1
  3. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Thanks Jay that makes perfect sense to me, I'm guessing that the reading is a percentage yes?

4. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Doesn't actually say percentage but as the scale is 0 -100 I presume so.
    For guidance the instructions state Gypsum board reading of 35 or less is dry as is cement with a reading of 25 or less.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Get a piece of wood, dry it in the oven, measure. Damp it one side, meaure both sides. Soak it measure. Get the feel of the tool.

• Like Like x 2